Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Male: Hair, hair and more hair to spare

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Male: Hair, hair and more hair to spare

Hello everyone, hope all is well

I have got a problem, I am very hairy all over. I am light skinned and have black hair so you can imagine it being noticeable. It is quite strong as well.

I do like my hair to a certain degree, it makes me feel like a Man.

But I do not like hair on my back, shoulders and arms............I cannot take my top of anywhere because of it and it is so frustrating as I am a confident guy.

One of my previous partners told me she loved my hair and felt I was stupid for wanting to get rid, but she was a lot more Mature then my usual age range and a recent girlfriend of mine put her hand under my jumper and froze............

Would this amount of excessive hair be a turn off for you?

And do you know of any permanent solutions, tips you could share.

Your help will be greatly appreciated ladies
    I am going to tell you what you don't want to hear!
    Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't

• From a man who has more than his share of hair...

Permanent solutions? There aren't any, unless you are willing to spend big bucks on extended laser treatments. Laser treatments will, over time...lots of time, damage each hair folicle a little bit each time it is "zapped" by the laser, causing the hair to grow back less course then before and over time...lots of time...it is possible that the folicle will be damaged "beyond repair" and not allow any further hair growth from that folicle.

It will take many visits to an experienced laser hair removal clinic to achieve that result. You may realize satisfactory "thinning" of your hair well before that.

Having dark course hair and light skin is ideal as the sharper the contrast between the two, the better. People with light skin and blond hair are virtually out of luck.

Some things to keep in mind:

1. Since hair grows in waves or stages, it will take several visits to zap all of the hairs equally.

2. Thickness of skin plays a key role in how much it hurts. The higher up the back they go, the thinner the skin gets and the more painful each zap is. Shoulder blades, shoulders in general and collar bone areas are fairly thin and sting quite a bit. Lower back, not so much.

3. Keep in mind that most lasers zap an area about the size of a postage stamp, so you're going to be there for a while for each treatment.

I had plans on having my back, shoulders, chest and stomach done. I only made it through my back. Shoulders were too painful, even with a topical prescription numbing agent applied for thirty minutes before.

I've invested about $1800 in my back alone and while it's a lot thinner, it's far from gone. I am reasonably satisfied.

Hair remains everywhere else....

Comment

• Thanks Sir, appreciate the advice.

I think Laser Hair treatment may be the only way forward.

Better start saving now cos $1800!!

Comment

• Not advertising for laser hair treatment?

Who cares, it's the inner person as the woman told you, anyone else is superficial.

CW
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Love Ya CW (You know I do), but I gotta say, as a guy who has battled the "curse" of being hairy his whole life, it is a struggle.

I'm also living proof that being teased relentlessly as a child/young person has stuck with me throughout my life. Yeah, it's gotten "better" over the years as I recognize more and more that it's who I am....like me or leave me...but the thoughts still linger and I am still self conscious to a degree.

Ever seen a hairy man in any sort of advertising? Nope.

As far as laser treatment or laser hair removal and my promotion of it, honestly, I'd say my feelings are mixed at best. Do I feel better about having a far less hairy back than I once had? Yes. Was it worth the time, money, pain and effort to get there? I don't know.

Comment

• CW: If that is the case, then why don't women just let their leg hair grow as "Nature Intended?" As Seeker said, it is not as straight forward as that.

I would blame the most of how we think today on the media and the social influence it creates. We are moulded from a very young age in a lot of ways and in my opinion very polluted on how to view many aspects, including how we see ourselves, sex, money etc

Do you know that on Beauty magazines, they alter the image at the front Male or Female to make it how they want - A fake image that many persue to be like!

Smooth is best in this society. If I walked around with my top off in the street, I would get stares left right and centre. So not easy to deal with. I was actually asking for more ideas the Laser Surgery as this may prove too costly, but it looks like to be the only choice! No advertising off it though haha

Comment

• Yeah Seeker I do, feeling's mutual, ....

Okay spurzzz my apology you are sincere, I have the flu so my intuition isn't the best

I remember,dating a man with hair everywhere that didn't turn me off, it was him feeling that he wanted to be a gyno but he was a lawyer that turned me off....

Very true, as a teen I hated the blonde legs...

lols okay got the advertising.

Well we are born with things we don't like , IDK I think you have no choice people are materialistic until they know you, you know what having said that, I read on facebook that a dear, dear friend of mine with honest insecurities has a woman so ...it is still about the inner self, but that maybe your only solution until she knows YOU....

Then you can save money
              PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Of course there are other alternatives such as dipilatories or shaving. I've tried both of those too.

Shaving is an extreme, as once you start you can't stop and if you change your mind, the regrowth period is kind of awkward. Dipilatories are effective but often contain harsh chemicals that may irritate your skin and can be an extreme also.

I guess it depends on what result you're looking for. Smooth and hairless like the men in fashion magazines or on the beach? Or just a bit more under control and less "bushy"? I bought some electric clippers, mfr'd by Wahl, at my local retailer and I use the 1/4" guard and shave my entire body to reduce/thin the length of the hair everywhere. The primary reasons I had my back lasered were A)Most women think hairy backs are gross, and B)I knew that I would not be able to reach it in order to be able to shave it with clippers by myself.

I'm still pretty hairy but it looks much better now that I've learned how to manage it and psychologically, I feel better about myself.

Silly? Superficial? Perhaps but that's my reality....

BTW - you may find the cost to be significantly cheaper today then it was when I did it because there are a lot more places doing it and I had mine done several years ago.

For the record...I would never knowingly advertise anything in this forum as it is against the rules.

Comment

• Many thanks CW and Seeker

Seeker, as a fella in my position I know you understand how I feel, which is a nice thought to know there are others in my position.....

I think an important factor for anyone out there who has anything out of the "Norm" when it comes to their body parts is that if we look after our bodies and maintain good shape, that alone can knock a few factors of any problem. So for example, if we are hairy but have a "lean Mean Killing Machine" or close to it, then things can compensate for the other. Also having a healthy mind helps

I do like my hair, everywhere apart from my back and shoulders I guess. So I shall work on it and let you people know of the results I achieve through Laser when I do it.

Thanks again for your help.

N.B: Seeker, maybe there should be a Hairy Mens Club or something lol

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X