Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

laser hair removal

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• laser hair removal

hey ladies. for anyone considering laser hair removal i just want to let you know it's amazing. i'm of puerto rican/italian decent and definitely the hairy one in my family. my mother and sister are practially hairless and my father isn't hairy at all for a man. so, i guess i'm the lucky one. i'm treating my full legs, brazilian, under arms and abdomen and it's working so well. i just completed my 3rd treatment of each site and i really couldn't be happier. the areas are silky smooth and the pores are so much smaller. i won't lie, it does sting when you get treated but it goes away and it doesn't throb. if you have very dark body hair and big pores you should definitely give it a try.

• i heard it doesn't work

Comment

• that depends, it's most effective on darker, thicker hair. if you have lighter to blonde body hair it won't take. if your hair is dark it will.

Comment

• Laser hair removal should only be practiced by a Certified Laser Centre...

There are risks like with everything, such as tanning before trying the treatment and having treatment whilst pregnant, a Certified Laser Centre will not treat a pregnant or nursing woman...

If that be the case you have to ask how good can it be for your body internally...

In addition, it can work on blondes pending if they have enough pigment in their hair...as with everything on this Forum, we offer "opinions" not facts unless they can be backed up....

Alot of practitioners use topical creams/ointments during laser hair removal for the purpose of "pain" although it appears that they will try to talk patients out of using these ointments if possible as topical anesthetpotential toxicity issues associated with large doses of Lidocaine.

Always ensure the practitioner is CERTIFIED and please research first before trying something that has toxic issues associated with it, and if pregnant always advise the practitioner as it is harmful for the baby and they will not perform laser treatment..

It may work, but for me, no thank you.
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Laser hair removal is most effective for people who have light skin and dark hair.

Comment

• I want to try this one, but here, in Frankfurt, I don't know where is it. :/ I need to looking and choose a good one.
            I'm woman and I'm so proud about that.

Comment

• I didn't get all the treatments (they said around 9 would get rid of most of it but they say it can't be called permanent) can't remember what sort it is, but u have to have trimmed hair, if its like your pubic hair etc and it goes gray then falls out two weeks later, I wax it off immediately after tho. Here in Australia they have it in beauty salons everywhere and it's something u have to have a qualification to perform, the other type we have here may have more stringent regulations it's more exp and works faster etc. Even tho I didn't get them all it makes the hair thinner (my pubic hair is like black steel wool lol) and so much easier to shave, no sore regrowth and no ingrowns etc) so I like laser. Plus it lasts around 5 weeks after it falls out which is way better than a wax alone. When I just shave it after it's way more cost effective
              If I knew where I was going I would already be there
              I wish I had more time. Judicious, beautiful, augmented, whatever.
              I've always been afraid to die, but I think I'm more afraid to live. (BC, SP)

"I would go out tonight, but i havent got a stitch to wear!" Morissey

Comment

• Originally posted by drnyc2 View Post
                that depends, it's most effective on darker, thicker hair. if you have lighter to blonde body hair it won't take. if your hair is dark it will.
                Different lasers or IPL for different types of hair. I think the ruby laser is the one that works on light hair fair skin.
                If I knew where I was going I would already be there
                I wish I had more time. Judicious, beautiful, augmented, whatever.
                I've always been afraid to die, but I think I'm more afraid to live. (BC, SP)

"I would go out tonight, but i havent got a stitch to wear!" Morissey

Comment

• I've been considering laser treatments. They're quite expensive, but if I paid myself for all the time I spend shaving various parts of my body and for the general nuisance it is to deal with daily shaving, the price doesn't seem so bad.

Comment

• Here's what I do know about laser hair removal. A few years ago I was in my dermatologist's office. I saw a huge machine next to me. I asked the nurse what it was. She said it was her doctor's money maker; it was a laser hair removal machine. The point: there's a lot of money in removing hair. But there are options; e.g., shaving, waxing plucking, or doing nothing. Were it me, I go least painful every time. But then again, I believe women worry more about body hair than men. Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate shaved legs and armpits and groomed pubic region. But hair in any of those areas is not a deal breaker. The only assured deal breaker I have is cleanliness. If a woman doesn't shower a least once a day, unless there is a justifiable unforeseen circumstance such as camping in the Sierras, I will not date her again.

BTW, I live not too far from the Pacific Crest Trail. People from all over the world visit our town while hiking it. There are always women in the coffee shop I visit who are PCT hikers. Because it can get well into the 80's up here, PCT hikers are routinely in shorts and sleeveless tops. I can't remember seeing one yet who couldn't use a good shave. But the reason's obvious. And I enjoy listening to stories of where they're from & their experiences hiking the PCT. And thankfully most want to know where they can take a shower. After days of hiking in the wilderness carrying heavy packs up steep mountains, they do need good showers. While I do appreciate showering, I can easily see why a woman would ask herself while hiking the PCT, "Why bother shaving?"

Take care,

Taos

Comment

• Just have to have my say...

I'm an olive skinned girl, with dark hair. I also have PCOS, one of the side effects being extra body hair. Up until this year it was the most embarrassing thing and caused me a lot of emotional pain as I had bad, corse facial hair. This led me to having to shave of pluck my chin on a daily basis, which caused a lot of pain.

Anyway, this year I finally got the money together to have a course of 6 Ellipse laser hair removal treatments. When I went in for my first appointment the technician told me that it doesn't always give 100% hair removal, but it does lead to hair reduction and growth. The only thing they used during my treatment was a water based gel to make the laser conduct to the hair follicle easier and an aloe moisturiser afterward. Neither of these were for the purpose of pain...and it did hurt! After a few treatments however the pain lessens as it is the laser hitting the follicle that causes the pain, and less follicles means less pain.

I've now finished my course and have, in my opinion, a 95% reduction in hair in the area. I still have the odd hair but not as bad as it used to be and nowhere near as dark and thick. My advice to anyone considering this treatment is go and chat with the certified technician before making the decision. They can give you all the information you need and, if they are anything like mine, wont pressure you just because it means more business...if they thin its not for you or you have any doubts they can't ease, you shouldn't get it.

Comment

• I've had a couple of my friends do some laser removal treatments and they told me they love it. I was on the fence if I wanted to try it or not, but after I got a killer deal on pricing, I decided it was worth a shot. I was fairly nervous going into it (I was going for my brazilian bikini and underarms... the two places I find annoying to shave) but the technician talked me through what'll happen, risks, etc and I felt more comfortable. The pain wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected. I've waxed down there before and hated it, but this was completely tolerable. There were a few spots that stung a little, but overall it was fine. I did take some Motrin about 30 minutes prior to the appointment though, so that might have helped a bit. I've only had one session and that was a week ago, so I've yet to really see results, but I am excited to see what it's like a couple sessions from now. It's expensive, but I think it might be worth it!

Comment

• Has anyone heard of or tried the tria at home laser hair removal? I think it is FDA approved (not sure). When I heard about it, I wanted to try it, but it is expensive, and I worry about hurting myself...

Comment

• Time-taking hair removal procedures like electrolysis or shaving have come to an end with the introduction of Laser hair removal technology. This is a permanent hair removal procedure with numerous treatment sessions using laser therapy. The laser beam is used to remove hair follicles on permanent basis. By using this technique the hair of all colors can be successfully removed.
                            Last edited by Fallen1; 09-21-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: Removal of outbound link

Comment

• Originally posted by Laxy2011 View Post
                              This is a permanent hair removal procedure with numerous treatment sessions using laser therapy. The laser beam is used to remove hair follicles on permanent basis. By using this technique the hair of all colors can be successfully removed.
                              As far as I know laser removal is not permanent... and it works only for dark hair plus white skin. So if you have fair or grey hair then this treatment is not good for you because of the lack of pigment. Just like me.
                              I've searched everywhere to know lots of things about laser hair removal, electrolysis etc.... And it is known that the ONLY permanent treatment is electrolysis.
                              Before you write something like this you should also look up things related to this treatment...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X