Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really hairy and I hate it.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Really hairy and I hate it.

So ever since I hit puberty I've started to grow dark hair in places it really shouldn't be on a girl. I'm really pale with dark brown hair so obviously my body hair is dark, but it shouldn't be like this. I have dark (but fuzzy) hair on my entire stomach which is extremely disgusting and noticeable. I usually hair removal cream it but it just grows back so fast. It's on my lower back too, which makes me look like a man, and it's quite thick and course on my legs and I have to shave every day to keep them smooth. The hair is quite fuzzy on my thighs but when I shave lay legs I have to shave the entire thing... Right to my butt. The hair there and on my vagina is gross and course as well, and is all really hard to manage because there's so much in such an awkward place... The hair on my arms isn't too bad (in my opinion) and doesn't really bother me because I guess it's more accepted to have hairy arms...
    I've considered brazillians and laser treatment but money is the problem as I'm only 17 and a half. I have problems with cysts on my ovaries but that's only something that popped up last year.
    When I asked my doctor she said it was "normal".
    But it's not normal because girls aren't supposed to be like this!

So I suppose my main questions are, are there any herbs or supplements I can take to reduce the hair? I've heard saw palmetto reduces the hair, but how much? And does it work for everyone?
    Please help me! I feel like I will never be able to wear shorts or anything ever, or never get a boyfriend because I'm a gorilla lol.
    Last edited by Dreamkitty; 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM.

• Glad people can be so helpful......

Comment

• We can be. But we also cannot be online at all hours of the day.

Maybe try tanning, or blue light therapy?

Im pretty darn furry myself, but when I tan SAFELY the hair is way less noticable.
      The children almost broken by the world become the adults most likely to change it
      -PostSecret

Comment

• I just typed a reply and lost it >< Anyway, have you had any tests? I have a friend that sounds very similar.. She actually has a hormonal thing that causes the ovarian cysts and extra body hair. I can't remember if she is taking anything to help though.. Might be something worth looking into though..

She also had laser and its made a really noticeable difference, but as you said it is expensive! Maybe something to save up for? In the meantime, have you considered waxing? It is a bit ouchy, but your hair will grow back softer and finer.. Shaving just cuts off the hair, and so it is going to grow back courser and look darker because it is the 'blunt' end of the hair.. If you are against waxing, you could use an electric trimmer even, it will still cut off the hair but it will be quicker than shaving if you want to stick with that.

Good luck =)

Comment

• From what I know laser treatment is one of the best.... try it and consult your doctor...panda may be right that you have a hormonal problem... just to be sure.. and if not take that laser treatment.. I heard a lot good thing about it..
          “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”

― Mae West

Comment

• Laser hair removal is by far your best option. Look on Groupon.com or LivingSocial.com for your area. They frequently have laser hair removal deals in my neck of the woods (NC). If there's not one available now, they come around every few weeks...(at least that's the case where I live).

Comment

• I agree with the hormonal thing, I was diagnosed with ovarian cysts when I was about 19 years old and I definitely have coarse, dark hair. I hate it too because my skin gets really sensitive to shaving and things like that. Laser treatments can be super expensive so I would suggest getting it waxed. It can help reduce the amount of hair over time. Also I know there are a lot of creams and moisturizers out there that can reduce the appearance of hair. I never really bought the claim until I tried the Dove brand deodorant and it totally worked for me which is awesome. I only shave my underarms probably once a month or so now.

I bet tanning would work because it makes your skin darker, but then you're tanning which can damage your skin.

Comment

• Yes I agree. The Considerable quantity of hair can be from for different factors. Including because of illnesses of female bodies. Because of reception of medicines. Certainly laser depilation will help, but it is very expensive. I agree with many that wax can help you...

Comment

• I just want to note that shaving DOES NOT make it grow back thicker and darker. That's a myth. I used to shave my arm hair and it's never been dark or thick. I actually shave my legs, under arms and pubic hair every single day and I've never seen any of it become thicker and darker.

By the way, what is that Dove deodorant called? What does it do specifically?

I've seen creams that is supposed to make hair thinner and lighter. Don't know if those every work though. My friend used it all the time and she said it did work. Who really knows though. Like I said, i shave everyday and just consider that a fact of life. I also have hair that grows on my lower back and lower belly too. Though my body hair isn't very thick, just dark.

Comment

• I just joined the forum and went through your question and all the replies to it. If it is still of any help, I'd like to say a few things about this as I have the cysts and have hit many lows myself because of hair. It is both a psychological and a physical thing.

So here is the psychological part...
                    1. Sometimes, it is best to not think of everyone else, especially the ones in the hair removal commercials and expect the same for you.
                    2. There will be days after you do the hair removal (waxing,shaving.etc) when you feel like a 'woman',even more beautiful and then when they grow back you tend to feel super gross...this is normal but you need to realize that you cannot live your life like a roller coaster i.e some days soo happy and some days soo upset.
                    3. It is hair and all that is, part of you, and the sooner you accept that, the easier it will be. There is absolutely nothing wrong in having excessive hair, the days when they are too much for you, just put on the smartest pants and an amazing jacket and look super chic. Hair doesn't have to make or break the way you feel about yourself. And, the days you get the removal done, rock the mini skirts and shorts and feel just as chic.

Here's the Physical part;

Try and do a full wax, I just use a wax heater and do the waxing by myself. I've been doing this for years and hair comes back a lot finer and easier to manage. Once I do waxing, I epilate whenever I have the time and keep the hair in check and that's all there is. It's just one extra thing you might have to do every now and then, and it can get daunting the moment you think ' Why is this happening to me' (I've thought that) , so don't think that. Also, bleaching helps turning the hair blonde , especially if there's hair on your face. Just make sure, it's a good product like Jolen. Love what you've got and work with it.
                    As for the cysts, just do as your doc says and things will fall into place.

Let me tell you that the moment you develop a happy attitude to your difficult problem, things will get a lot better. My life turned out fine, and I found an amazing man who loved me for who I was and helped me deal with days that I hated my body because of my hair. I'm happily married and this hair thing doesn't matter anymore. There is certainly more to you than hair growth and I'm pretty sure, that a young girl like you has a lot of potential to do great things in life, so don't let this hair thing mess around with your confidence, cos girl, you're always gonna need it, hair or no hair.

Comment

• Take spearmint tea or capsules, I read it works for many people. amazon.com

[QUOTE=Dreamkitty;306612]So ever since I hit puberty I've started to grow dark hair in places it really shouldn't be on a girl. I'm really pale with dark brown hair so obviously my body hair is dark, but it shouldn't be like this. I have dark (but fuzzy) hair on my entire stomach which is extremely disgusting and noticeable. I usually hair removal cream it but it just grows back so fast. It's on my lower back too, which makes me look like a man, and it's quite thick and course on my legs and I have to shave every day to keep them smooth. The hair is quite fuzzy on my thighs but when I shave lay legs I have to shave the entire thing... Right to my butt. The hair there and on my vagina is gross and course as well, and is all really hard to manage because there's so much in such an awkward place... The hair on my arms isn't too bad (in my opinion) and doesn't really bother me because I guess it's more accepted to have hairy arms...
                      I've considered brazillians and laser treatment but money is the problem as I'm only 17 and a half. I have problems with cysts on my ovaries but that's only something that popped up last year.
                      When I asked my doctor she said it was "normal".
                      But it's not normal because girls aren't supposed to be like this! I read that speartmint tea(it must be spearmint not peppermint) or capsules works for alot of people. They have it on amazon.com Wax, but don't shave it grows back thicker. The Gigi wax is good for coarse hair.

So I suppose my main questions are, are there any herbs or supplements I can take to reduce the hair? I've heard saw palmetto reduces the hair, but how much? And does it work for everyone?
                      I read that speartmint tea(it must be spearmint not peppermint) or capsules works for alot of people. They have it on amazon.com Wax, but don't shave it grows back thicker. The Gigi wax is good for coarse hair.
                      ([ I read that speartmint tea(it must be spearmint not peppermint) or capsules works for alot of people. They have it on amazon.com Wax, but don't shave it grows back thicker. The Gigi wax is good for coarse hair.
                      /QUOTE]

Comment

• Some women are, by nature, more hairy. It's usually an indicator of higher testosterone levels, but it could be caused by other things as well.

Do not allow this condition to compromise your self-confidence. It does not impair your status as a woman. My suggestion is to have a dermatologist examine you & prescribe a medical cure.

My ex-girlfriend would become undone if she found a hair growing where she thought it shouldn't. Well, obviously it should otherwise it wouldn't have grown there. I used to pluck a dark hair that grows above her left breast. It never bothered me. But she wanted it gone, so I would pluck it for her.

As women mature, their facial hair will become more pronounced. It's not a big deal. My suggestion is to pluck hair where you don't want it (except where you normally shave) and enjoy life. Believe me, no man is going to kick you out of bed because you forgot to wax your upper lip & chin. If he loves you, the only things that he'll care about is you and that you're in his arms. The rest is small stuff that doesn't deserve worry.

For some reason women worry more about inconsequential things that men never notice or care about.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                        X