Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Body hair

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Body hair

Women grow hair on their bellies and their backs and their legs and their arms and their stomachs and their face and really anywhere their genetics decides to have hair and it is perfectly normal. What isnt normal is society trying to shame women for not looking like a hairless baby. Grown women are, after all, meant to have hair on their armpits, vulva and legs. There is nothing ‘unnatural’ about a hairy woman; if there were then the hair would not grow there in the first place. Likewise, there is nothing ‘unfeminine’ about a hairy woman; if femininity is defined as ‘like a woman’ then a woman in her natural state is by definition as feminine as she can be. Why should women only have hair on their heads ? Why is it disgusting and gross ? If it's gross why isn't a man with a hairy body gross ? Who has written the so called rules ? It also isn't unhygienic, we have water and soap don't we ? I think body hair is beautiful and feminine. I love it. I just don't understand why it's not ok for women to grow their bodily hair out. Let everyone do whatever they want.

It's all about Money!!! Shaving in general, like the first person to ever do it, I don't know, but the idea that women "should" shave was invented by shaving products companies. Men were already shaving their faces, but the companies wanted more money. Time to make women feel bad about themselves! That's kind of how a lot of people make money now... Those major hair removal companies. Gilette etc has brainwashed people and society into making people hate their own bodies. Making women feel uncomfortable about their own bodies. It's a multi million dollar business. Waxing shaving laser surgery etc. That's why they're making you think it's abnormal to have body hair. But it isn't. It's perfectly normal to have hair on your legs arms belly and literally everywhere it's society making you think it's wrong.

• lack of all body hair seems to be an American thing? it seems to be more common and socially accepted in Europe, especially france and Italy. not sure how things have gotten to this point in the usa. things were definitely different back in the 1960's and 70's

Comment

• I simply feel ugly with any body hair. I don't think it looks attractive at all on a woman and yes this is possibly because it's been drummed into me since I can remember. I love how soft and smooth everywhere feels where I have removed the hair. When I've seen a very hairy vulva it's makes me sick to look at. It's personal tastes really. I remove hair because it's what I want to do and not to please any man/partner though his personal preference is important to me. Every man I've ever been with has preferred no hair. I feel very feminine having silky, smooth, hair free skin.

Comment

• I personally get turned on big time when I see a hairy bush on a woman. At least one of my male friends agrees with me on this. However I don't find hairy legs or hairy arms on a woman attractive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Romy View Post
          I simply feel ugly with any body hair. I don't think it looks attractive at all on a woman and yes this is possibly because it's been drummed into me since I can remember. I love how soft and smooth everywhere feels where I have removed the hair. When I've seen a very hairy vulva it's makes me sick to look at. It's personal tastes really. I remove hair because it's what I want to do and not to please any man/partner though his personal preference is important to me. Every man I've ever been with has preferred no hair. I feel very feminine having silky, smooth, hair free skin.
          Out of curiosity.
          Why does it make you sick. Have you tried growing it out ?

Comment

• My SO shaves for her. Like Romy, she does not feel clean with hair. She has grown it out a bit (and I have no issue with hair or no hair) but dislikes it. She shaves her legs and armpit hair very frequently for the same reasons. It's her, not a man's ideal of what she should be like.

It could be cultural, but now it is ingrained in the psyche of a number of women. I doubt that it is a conspiracy of razor manufacturers but clearly there is a cultural aspect to it. Women (and men) in the US tend to bathe more frequently than in Europe and Asia as well. You get comfortable with what you know . . .
            "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• I also commented on your other post, JDM. I think grooming standards are a somewhat cultural thing, as is mentioned above. Our views are likely shaped by societal standards & social normals that have been set over many years. I am a fairly natural-loving girl, but I simply don't like the look or feel of my hair against my skin, on my legs especially. It isn't a coarse texture, but I just don't find it comfortable. I am comfortable without makeup & being naked, and many other "natural" ways of being.

Comment

• Originally posted by JDM91 View Post
                Out of curiosity.
                Why does it make you sick. Have you tried growing it out ?
                This is just my opinion - not right or wrong, some will strongly agree and others will strongly disagree with me....a hairy, wild and wooly bush, all matted with the lady's juices is for me a disgusting sight. Doesn't look clean. Yet I'm well aware that in her natural state, left untouched, this would be how she's supposed to look. It just grosses me out. Thank goodness I'm a female and not into other females because I could never go down on a woman who wasn't clean and smooth. I don't even like stubble because of shaving. It's laser all the way for me leaving me so silky, smooth and soft. My SO absolutely loves and appreciates my effort to make my lady parts look and feel as good as they possible can. But most importantly I love them.

Comment

• Who on earth invented shaving ? I mean what drives a person to think “I’m so annoyed about hair growing here naturally that I’d rather have a sharp blade repeatedly run across my skin on a regular basis than deal with it. I don't get it...

Comment

• Wikipedia suggests that shaving started around 3000 BC with the invention of copper tools and, therefore, the first razors. Men were the first to shave -- beards, heads, etc for various reasons, not the least of which is that they looked better without all that hair. For a person that wrote "let everyone do whatever they want", you do not seem to have much tolerance for those that choose to shave. It's hard for me to really believe that you don't "get it" considering the reasonable explanations in these posts.

People like to present themselves in the best possible way. That's why we bathe (you could make the same argument -- why do people cover up their natural odor by bathing or using cologne/deodorant), why we cut and/or color our hair, why we exercise etc. Some women like the natural look. Many more prefer the perceived "cleanliness" of shaving. Many men shave every day. It's all personal preference with much of that shaped by family and cultural issues.
                    "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• Originally posted by Romy View Post
                      This is just my opinion - not right or wrong, some will strongly agree and others will strongly disagree with me....a hairy, wild and wooly bush, all matted with the lady's juices is for me a disgusting sight. Doesn't look clean. Yet I'm well aware that in her natural state, left untouched, this would be how she's supposed to look. It just grosses me out. Thank goodness I'm a female and not into other females because I could never go down on a woman who wasn't clean and smooth. I don't even like stubble because of shaving. It's laser all the way for me leaving me so silky, smooth and soft. My SO absolutely loves and appreciates my effort to make my lady parts look and feel as good as they possible can. But most importantly I love them.
                      Ha! "a hairy, wild and wooly bush, all matted with the lady's juices" you're description of a woman's hairy bush sounds very sexy to me and I'm certain to a lot of other guys too.

Comment

• Why is body hair linked to gender. Why should a woman only have hair on her head. Why is it unacceptable for a woman to have armpit leg or arm hair. I just don't get it. What makes it gross or unfeminine. Who has written these so called rules.
                        To me it's beauty. It's attractive and lovely

Comment

Why is body hair linked to gender. Why should a woman only have hair on her head. Why is it unacceptable for a woman to have armpit leg or arm hair. I just don't get it. What makes it gross or unfeminine. Who has written these so called rules.
                          To me it's beauty. It's attractive and lovely
                          If you find it attractive, then either do it or look for that characteristic. No one is going to fault you.

I think you get it just fine. In the US, beauty is defined in many ways -- weight, height, eye color, use of make-up, shaving preferences -- many of these could be viewed as unfair. With regard to shaving, several woman have answered you that they feel less attractive with hair. I am sure most men will say that they find women with shaven legs and armpits to be more attractive. We all have tastes and preferences . . . I prefer a woman without leg or armpit hair, just like I find an intelligent, communicative woman to be more attractive to me. I make no apologies for my preference.

Comment

• Everyobody should be able to make her own choice without pressure

Comment

Everyobody should be able to make her own choice without pressure
                              Everyone IS able to make her own choice. But, like it or not, we are all subject to pressure everyday -- the preferences of our partners, our friends, our family, our culture etc.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                              • Reply to Is it just me or do we all have one???

You've got the right approach, jns. Sometimes - as Ashlee T. has said - nothing works. In that instance, walking away is best. It isn't rude: because...

Today, 10:23 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

I will tell you, Ashlee T. that I would love to have children. But I have not met the right man yet. However, there is still time. I am 38 years old but...

Today, 10:18 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to How to gain weight fast?

I still don't get why someone would want to put on weight: everyone else is trying to lose it.

Thoughts?

Today, 10:13 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Reply to Help with Talking to My Crush

I second your advice, Lialia270.

I hope Jupiter Girl has made her move by now! If she hasn't, someone else must've gotten him. It is a fast...

Today, 10:09 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• I’m not sure doct

hi, new here!
                                I ended up having a water infection that wouldn’t go away until last month. Ever since I’ve dealt with heavy discharge - some...

Today, 11:33 AM By lilrose
                              • Is it just me or do we all have one???

I have a very good friend, funny, gregarious, giving, loving, adventurous and all around good person. However, there is always a however, when we get...

03-11-2019, 07:23 AM By Claret
                              • Is Childfree Right For Me? Discuss It Here

Are you conflicted with the decision of whether being childfree is right for you? Or, you already know deep inside but are struggling with guilt or pressure?...

03-08-2019, 01:01 PM By Ashlee T.
                              • Need A New Direction

I am thinking of applying for another job. For over ten years I've been working as an admin assistant for a charity. I love the work, but am starting...

03-04-2019, 07:14 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • best treatments for wrinkles and aging skin?

Everybody is trying to look young and pretty. Regarding aging, mesoskinline discovered new anti-aging mesotherapy treatment. This is about without medical...

Today, 08:57 AM By mesoskinline01
                              Working...
                              X