Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folliculitis

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Folliculitis

Alright, so about 6 years ago I found out from my doctor that I have folliculitis. It's basically in grown hairs that get irritated and infected by a certain bacteria. I have tried countless ways to get rid of it and manage it but nothing really works. I have gotten two different prescriptions from my doctor. I switch out my razors constantly. I make sure my skin doesn't get dry. I've tried so many things but nothing tends to help it! I've gotten so many scars on my legs because of it and i'm really embarassed to show my legs.
    Does anyone have this condition? Does anyone know what I could do to help it?
    I need help!
    "Life is full of unexpected twists and turns the trouble isn't following the path it's whether or not to take the next step."

"When it rains it pours, but we look forward to the rainbow to help us through."

• I've also been diagnosed with folliculitis. Sometimes prescriptions and simply throwing away your razor isn't enough. There are countless steps to take to get rid of this illness. I've had it for 3 weeks and I've already shown vast improvement. One thing that's important is to exfoliate. St. Ives has a great apricot scrub that can help with this. A mild cleanser such as cetaphil works great to get rid of the bacteria and is ideal for sensitive skin. Make sure to use that after exfoliating. I use the intuition brand razor and after very gently shaving, I pat myself dry and apply a non-fragranced lotion (some fragrance lotions can irritate your skin and make the rash worse) with possible infusions of oatmeal. Try to definitely avoid scratching by taking Benadryl or Allegra. It helps a lot! Mederma is a great scar removal cream. It's found at most drugstores and isn't too costly. Now I know it's a lot of information but I hope it works for you like it did for me and maybe hold off from shaving...as long as possible. Good luck!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
    X