Calluses and Dry Skin

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calluses and Dry Skin

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Calluses and Dry Skin

So i'm sure I take after my mom with this problem since she has the same thing but I'm dealing with extremely callused and dry feet. I've tried a couple of things to try and help it but it doesn't really seem to work. I've tried putting lotion on my feet then putting socks on right away before I go to work but that just ends up with a bad fowl smell and they still end up drying out. I've also tried a pumice stone but the one I have just disinigrates when I use it on my feet rather than the calluses and dry skin. Anyone have any ideas of what I can do? They look absolutely horrible and feel horrible as well, especially when they rub against my bedspread and stuff. All advice appreciated!

• Try a sugar scrub of some sort, then apply a really good perfume free lotion (I recommend Cetaphyl) at least twice per day. Unless you have some sort of fungus like athletes foot I'm not sure why wearing socks after putting lotion on your feet would cause a foul smell?

Also consider trying a different type of shoe. It may be that your shoes are fitted properly and are causing more rubbing of the feet.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I've never had any issues with Athlete's Foot or anything but it could just be from my feet sweating while I'm at work and everything as to why they smell bad. I'll look and see what kind of scrubs we have at work since I do work at good ol' Walmart. I'll just start using lotion a bit more even though I'm sure its an inherited thing since my mom has the same problems.

Comment

• I've heard the ped-egg works wonders + a specific lotion for feet, like Gold Bond or something like that.

If your feet are getting sweaty and gross while at work, look into some sports socks made of wicking material. I wear socks that are meant for marathon runners and/or cyclists and I LOVE them! That might help too.

Comment

• It may be inherited, but if you didn't think there was a way to make it better you wouldn't be posting about it. I would put lotion on every day before work but not ALOT, just enough to moisturize like you would the rest of your body. But then at night before bed, I'd do the sock + quite a bit of lotion. You can make your own scrub with olive oil and sugar.

Comment

• I have really, really awful calluses, dry cracked heels, etc too. No lotion will help (and it actually seems like they just disappear to no effect!) I've tried just about every callus-removing product out there, with mixed results. Exfoliating is really the only thing that makes a big difference. The problem with exfoliating is that I have to exfoliate for so long that my hands get torn up. So, use gloves with the following suggestions.
            1. Dr. Scholls Rough Skin Remover - The skin will peel off in little bits as you use it. It takes a lot of rubbing, but it gives nice, smooth results. It's kind of expensive, but I bought it before I thought of #2 ...
            2. Apricot Scrub - I use this stuff for my face, but it's really strong enough for my feet too. Use it on feet that have been soaked in water. Again, this takes a while - lots of rubbing. Gloves are a must. But with enough elbow grease, you can really see a change in one application, even on cracked heels. Like the cream, it leaves your skin smooth, without rough edges.

Unfortunately, these are temporary responses. It doesn't seem like there's anything I can do to keep the calluses away for more than a few days, so you really have to keep at them. It is a pain. But if you've got the time to devote to it, it's very nice to take a break from the crazy feet.
            <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Well I just put lotion on them since I'm currently getting ready for work. We'll see how it works out later, maybe I'll just start putting lotion on them more. I have debated about trying that Ped Egg, there is a new one out to but I can't remember the name of it. I'll look into it more, couldn't find the time to actually go around and look yesterday so I will try to today. Thanks guys!

Comment

• I'm not personally a fan of the Ped-egg, it leaves your skin really roughed up (they include filing pads but they feel gross when you use them) and it's easy to go overboard with it.

I hear it makes a lovely kitchen zester, though. Too bad I already used mine on my feet, or it would have a use in my house :P
                <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• I actually bought this Foot Scrub type stuff today. It's by Freeman and it's called Bare Feet. It's a lemon sage scented scrub with tea tree oil. I already used it once and my feet feel so much better and look better. Only cost me $3 to. Stuff feels horrible on your hands when you're using it but even after it being on your hands they feel softer as well. We'll give this a try for the next couple of days or so and see how it goes.

Comment

• Great. Just keep at it. And be sure to moisturize......use something light like cetaphil not something perfumey and heavy. Everyone needs to moisturize. It's all something you'll just have to stick with.

Comment

• Used it twice last night and it seemed to do pretty good. Before going to work and stuff I'll probably just stick to a lotion. I use Aveeno daily moisturizing lotion which is unscented. All of the lotion I use is unscented anyway. I'll let you know how it works out. I'll probably use the scrub after getting home from work and everything.

Comment

• So i've been using a combination of that Bare Foot scrub I bought as well as the As Soon on TV product called Heel Tastic that surprisingly has been working. Feet look and feel ten times better now!

Comment

• I've suffered from the same issue for some time... and, every treatment I tried only gave temporary results. I wear heels daily, and always lamented over my rough, dry feet. Recently, I found a product made in Japan that actually works - it's called "Baby Foot." It's essentially a foot peel.

You wear a pair of plastic booties for 2 hours that contain a blend of fruit acid. Afterwards, you wash it off and wait for it to do its thing... It takes 2-7 days for the fruit acid to loosen the callused and dead skin layer. If you usually take baths or use foot soaks, it will work a bit faster. However, after that timeframe, you will begin to see the dead skin peel or slough off. It takes another 5-7 days for all of the peeling to finish. What's left are smooth and baby soft feet!

The product recommends using this treatment every 3-4 months to maintain your "baby feet" but I ended up repeating it within a month initially to rid myself of the thick calluses on my heel and balls of my feet. From there, regular use of a good foot lotion is all it takes to maintain the moisture and softness until the next "peel."

I originally found it in the Little Tokyo area of Los Angeles, however, I also found it on Amazon.com for less. So, I now keep a couple of treatments on hand to keep up the routine.

Comment

• Although you might not like the way they look and feel, moderately dry, calloused hands aren't likely to cause you any health problems. When hands become severely dry or calluses become too thick, though, they can cause discomfort. More severe cases might need medical attention, but in milder cases

Comment

• I have wide feet and it is always difficult to find shoes that are comfortable, especially when buying them over the internet. Fortunately, these fit the bill quite well from the first wearing when I put them on and breathed a sigh of relief. Nice to know Orthofeet a shoe company I can depend on for future purchases.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X