Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vericose Veins

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Vericose Veins

I can't believe it, I'm only twenty years old and I'm beginning to get vericose veins on my legs!!! Does anyone know if this is normal?? I tend to work standing up for long periods of time. I have heard that wearing panty hose keeps the blood flowing and reduces the possibility of getting vericose veins. But, its summer...how can anyone wear panty hose in this weather? Also, my family is originally from Eastern Europe, which means I have really big hips Does this make the vericose veins worse?

• It is important to keep the blood circulating in your body. So if you sit or stand for long periods of time, it is important to regularly shift your weight and, if possible, take short breaks and walk or run. It is also a part of genetics so it is possible to pass it along down the family genes. I am going to post more information about this in a different thread. It's very informative and talks about the difference between spider and varicose veins, as well as treatment, prevention, and causes. Here are some tips for prevention...

How can I prevent varicose and spider veins?

There are several easy things you can do to help prevent varicose and spider veins and to relieve discomfort from the ones you have:

- Protect your skin from the sun by wearing sunscreen to limit spider veins on the face.
    - Exercise regularly to improve your leg strength, circulation, and vein strength. Focus on exercises that work your legs, such as walking or running.
    Control your weight to avoid placing too much pressure on your legs.
    - Do not cross your legs when sitting. However, try to elevate your legs when resting.
    - Do not stand for long periods of time. If you have to stand for long periods of time, shift your weight from one leg to the other every few minutes.
    - If you have to sit for long periods of time, stand up and move around or take a short walk approximately every 30 minutes.
    - Wear elastic support stockings, but avoid clothing that is too tight or that will constrict your waist, groin, or legs.
    - Make sure to include high-fiber foods in your diet since constipation can contribute to varicose veins. High fiber foods include fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains, like bran. Control your salt-intake. Salt, or sodium, can cause you to retain water or swell.

Comment

• it is normal to get weak veins in that age. i knew 3 girls with that problem when i went to school, at the age of about 18 and just one of them had "luck", she had only spider veins. the only thing that really helps is: keep moving!

You need to get a routine like having morning walks (no running!, just fast walking up and down hill, if possible), swimming at least once a week (you'll see that is the most effectiv help; do rather crawl than breaststroke) and whenever you like or feel pain do some stretching like yoga.

last: be carefull with muscle training. Why? Just look for damaged veins at the arms of bodybuilders. when the veins are weak such sport might be too much as well as jumping including running, tennis etc.

I hope i could help you and forgive me my grammar
      Last edited by violet; 05-22-2007, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• herbs and diet

what is your diet? also you could try an herbal product like vericosex.
        Last edited by WildChild; 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM. Reason: removed outbound links

Comment

• ive had them since 18

i have the same problem. Its not fun, im 21 ive had them since i was 18 and they have gradually gotten worse...it makes me feel older than what i am...especially when i see all my friends wearing cute shorts and dresses i wouldnt dream of wearing now...(at least not with out leggings!) I have a derm appointment on the 25th...im going to talk to him about removal. Mine are not only ugly but hurt! I run daily, swim laps often, eat healthy and wear stockings under my jeans at work and i make sure im constantly moving...just goes to show you all the precautions in the world cant compete with genes and mother nature

Comment

• Varicose Vein Treatment

I am a Phlebologist and I help ppl with vein disease and other vein problems. Varicose veins can be caused by heredity: if ur mother or grandmother have them u most likely will too, Gender: females are more likely to have them, Prolonged standing: standing for a long period of time cause increased volume and pressure of blood in the lower limbs, Obesity: increase weight increases pressure, Hormone levels: birth control pills and pregnancy, Physical trauma:damage to underlying blood vessles. I would suggest going to a vein center and getting a duplex ultrasound to check the valves in ur legs. They could be disfunctioning causing blood to pool in ur legs causing pain and veins to be enlarged. An endovenous laser ablation is a simple procedure that would be ur best bet. This procedure heat seals ur vein and causes it to reabsorbed into ur body. That way blood travels through the other veins improving circulation and helping with any pain or just unsightly leg veins.

Comment

• Yes – you can get spider veins if you have a job that requires you to stand or sit for longer periods of time. You should take a break every two hours. You should also try sleeping with legs slightly raised on a platform of pillows. Since you are young, I would also suggest that you start taking supplements that contain nutrients that specifically support vein health. (EDIT outbound link) like Vein Matrix contain Vitamin C, horse chestnut, butcher’s broom, diosmin are some herbs that have been extensively studied for their role in supporting vein health and healthy circulation. If you start now, you’ll probably be able to avoid advances stages of spider veins.
              Last edited by CHANDLERS WISH; 12-04-2009, 03:26 AM. Reason: outbound links result in banning

Comment

• Women suffer varicose veins, across all ages. I've seen young women suffer varicose veins and most of them don't feel normal about the condition because normall varicose veins is associated to women who are much older.

In order to better prevent the occurence of these bulging veins, i firmly believe that it may help to know what causes it first.

Many medical books and studies reveal that varicose veins are caused by problem with blood flow in the lower extremities, when left untreated can lead to more serious circulatory problem. There are many factors that that were noted that causes the development of varicose veins.

This include:
                -Aging
                -Hormonal shifts. Women have a higher chance than men are to develop varicose veins and spider veins. This is attributed to hormonal changes during pregnancy, and also premenstruation or menopause may be a factor.
                -Obesity
                - Certain Occupations especially those jobs that requires you to stand or sit for a long period.
                - Heredity
                -Use of birth control

I think one of the posts already mentioned different ways on how to prevent and control varicose veins.
                For treatment, depending on your situation, the first approach before offering varicose vein treatments such as sclerotherapy is the use of compression stockings. These may help relieve some of the symptoms and help move blood more efficiently through your legs. There are a number of brands to choose from. These stockings have been proven to help with the treatment of varicose veins and spider veins. My colleagues and I purchase from Legs Therapy, its an online store that sells compression stockings and they carry all kinds. We use it to prevent varicose veins and spider veins and keep blood flowing normally on our legs.

Compression stockings are a simple, inexpensive way to prevent and treat varicose veins. These specially fitted hose are designed to reduce the pooling that occurs in spider and varicose veins and also can help alleviate symptoms caused by the veins, such as aching, heaviness, and swelling as well as help prevent worsening of the vein conditions.

Hope this information helped you.

Good Luck!

Comment

• Definitely wear compression stockings. Most health insurance also covers them.

I am a nurse, and find that we are all more prone to them. I wear them, and I'm only in my 20's. But they help -- plus make my calfs feel better.

Comment

• compression stockings do help a lot. I also make it a point to massage my feet, thigh and calf before sleeping to ensure good blood flow

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X