Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost the weight, but I have questions

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Lost the weight, but I have questions

I've been waiting until I could ask....

I lost the weight, possibly need to lose another 5 or so pounds, but here's the problem: I scratched my back a few months back and used the mirror to see it. I was shocked at the sight that met my eyes -- a wrinkly bum! My bum is so wrinkly that it looks like those seen on people who have been starved, hanging in little folds! Is this normal for an average-sized 63-year-old to look like that???

Then, I noticed that my arms and legs are awfully wrinkly. When I was more over-weight, I didn't see this stuff. Maybe because I didn't look?

I did not exercise through my weight loss -- except for maybe three times.

Do you know if this will eventually go away?

Also, you know that "apron" do-thingy that happens to our stomachs when some of us are over-weight? It's gone down a lot, but it's still there. Does that go away eventually?

I am NOT willing to have surgery.

Thanks!!
    It's always disappointing when someone lies to me, then I look down, and their pants aren't on fire.

• That is the extra skin that we have from our skin being stretched out when we were over weight. None of it will go away completely. Personally I already told my hubby that he better start saving because I am having a tummy tuck and a breast life and small implants put in when I lose all the weight I want and keep it off for a year.

Comment

• Okay. That's understood. I was just surprised that after a over year of having lost the weight, the hanging flesh is still there.
      It's always disappointing when someone lies to me, then I look down, and their pants aren't on fire.

Comment

• Actually, I have heard that this "extra skin" is actually caused by subcutaneous fat. Meaning that if you lose some more weight, this fat can go away and your skin will bounce back. I don't know if you've ever been pregnant, but think about the pregnant bellies you've seen - ladies don't run around with parachutes hanging from their bellies after delivering! Some damage is done, but the skin does bounce back. Some women even go on to have flat bellies after pregnancy (I'm jealous!) and so it makes sense that your skin should bounce back after weight loss too ... it may just take some time and more work.
        <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• You give me hope....

Comment

• Originally posted by Little View Post
            Actually, I have heard that this "extra skin" is actually caused by subcutaneous fat. Meaning that if you lose some more weight, this fat can go away and your skin will bounce back. I don't know if you've ever been pregnant, but think about the pregnant bellies you've seen - ladies don't run around with parachutes hanging from their bellies after delivering! Some damage is done, but the skin does bounce back. Some women even go on to have flat bellies after pregnancy (I'm jealous!) and so it makes sense that your skin should bounce back after weight loss too ... it may just take some time and more work.
            Oh, good night. I had been having my hair dyed red, red, red and loving it for a couple years. On a whim, yesterday, I told her "black." She responded "dark brown" and I told her to do it. On another whim, I put on a black cord-necklace that is fairly tight around my neck, with a tiny mezuzzah hanging on it. Thought nothing more of it, until this morning, when I caught sight of my shocking new hair color and the necklace. My eyes nearly popped out of my head!

It had slipped my mind that a couple years ago, I had quit wearing necklaces that did not dangle from my neck, drawing attention away from my neck, because it was so ugly from my larger days -- lined, looking labored, ugly.

Suddenly, I saw it! My neck DOES look better.

Little, as of now, I am no longer merely hopeful!!

Comment

• I'm so glad! It's very hard to see progress when you are looking in the mirror from day to day. Maybe you should take a photo of yourself so that you can check your progress in a few weeks? It can be really motivating
              <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• I really should. I have spent so many years avoiding the camera that I don't even think of these things....

Comment

• I have read that skin is more elastic when you are younger, but it gets less so as you age. I would only worry about a wrinkly bum if it was an issue with a lover. I understand many would disagree with that sentiment. I think those wrinkles show the progress you have had and if they don't go away after years of keeping your weight down, they will still be showing the progress.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                    I would only worry about a wrinkly bum if it was an issue with a lover. I understand many would disagree with that sentiment. I think those wrinkles show the progress you have had and if they don't go away after years of keeping your weight down, they will still be showing the progress.
                    I like your attitude. I admit it: part of this is what I wish I was for my husband. All our married life, until now, I have been overweight. When we went together as teens, I was extremely thin (18-inch waist I was extremely proud of then). I think I am trying to give him some of my youth, and that is just not logical.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                    X