Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Constant dry skin and chapped lips

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Constant dry skin and chapped lips

As long as I can remember my lips are always chapped and cracking. Within the last few years I have switched to only organic chapsticks, I rarely wear li[stick or gloss, only chapstick, and it seems to be fine as long as I apply frequently. As for my face, I seem to always have dry flaky pathes around my mouth and chin. I have normal ane for a 23 year old, nothing I have ever been selfconsious about considering I could eat much healthier to fix the problem, but I use cetaphil face wash for the last few months and it still doesn't help. I live in northern California, so if it is hot, it's really hot, or really cold. And still my skin is either oily from working in a kitchen or really dry after washing. I currently do not have moisturizer because everything I have tried doesn't help. I also don't want to waqste my money on moisturizers that are not going to work for my type of skin. I am also allergic to any olay products, scented laundry detergent and i use dove body wash normally in fear of breaking out in hives like most scented washes do to me. My concern is that winter is here and my skin is getting dryer. My dad has exema( dont know how its spelled) so I assume I may have a very mild form of it since i can use lotions and deoderant just fine. any advice would be much appreciated! - Shanon

• I don't like all those lotions and moisturizers (and the costs associated with trying them) either! If I were you, I would invest in a good moisturizing sun screen made specifically for a person's face. That should be all the extra moisture your face needs, theoretically, plus the added protection your skin needs from the elements.

are you drinking enough water? Sometimes we get dehydrated and that can have effects on our skin, like the dry lips you were describing. As for how MUCH water, experts have said you should drink half your body weight in oz. So if you weigh 120 pounds, you would drink at least 60 oz of water per day. Seems like a lot at first, but your body will thank you.

You mentioned your father has eczema. Have you been to a dermatologist? There's a chance you may have mild eczema as well and the doctor could help you by providing treatments.

Comment

• I've been hearing that honey is perfect for dry skin and chapped lips,but you can also use castor oil.

Comment

• You can try natural exfoliants like yoghurt for dry skin and yes, chapstick is the best option for dry lips. I also use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by shanond19 View Post
          As long as I can remember my lips are always chapped and cracking. Within the last few years I have switched to only organic chapsticks, I rarely wear li[stick or gloss, only chapstick, and it seems to be fine as long as I apply frequently. As for my face, I seem to always have dry flaky pathes around my mouth and chin. I have normal ane for a 23 year old, nothing I have ever been selfconsious about considering I could eat much healthier to fix the problem, but I use cetaphil face wash for the last few months and it still doesn't help. I live in northern California, so if it is hot, it's really hot, or really cold. And still my skin is either oily from working in a kitchen or really dry after washing. I currently do not have moisturizer because everything I have tried doesn't help. I also don't want to waqste my money on moisturizers that are not going to work for my type of skin. I am also allergic to any olay products, scented laundry detergent and i use dove body wash normally in fear of breaking out in hives like most scented washes do to me. My concern is that winter is here and my skin is getting dryer. My dad has exema( dont know how its spelled) so I assume I may have a very mild form of it since i can use lotions and deoderant just fine. any advice would be much appreciated! - Shanon
          I have a few suggestions for you to consider trying.

Now such issues tend to be either....

a. Genetic.
          b. Disease Specific.
          c. Diet Related.
          d. Autoimmune Deficient.
          e. Skin Pigmentation issues.
          f. Allergy to Solar Radiation.
          g. Specific to the persons not drinking enough water thus dehydration specific.
          h. Caused by lipstick or makeup used.

And there is a lot more.

I would guess without seeing as this is usually the reason....a combination of DIET AND SKIN PIGMENTATION...with a tad of Eczema added in.

If it is this....it is simple to cure.

Man of Action

Comment

• There could be multiple reasons of chapped/dry lips like dry weather, prolonged sun exposure, vitamin deficiency, blocked nose, side effects of some prescribed drugs, high fever, dehydration or certain irritants that come in contact with your lips.Lip balms helps in hydrating lips and would be more effective if you apply them after your meals and before sleeping. Choosing right lip balm is important as some OTC lips balms have irritants like preservatives, flavors, fragrances, urea, fruit extracts, menthol, camphor etc. Even Vaseline petrolatum jelly would suffice or ghee can be applied on your lips to keep them hydrated.
            Last edited by sandra413; 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• Try using coconut oil! After you wash in the night/am apply to your skin and lips. It is a light and very moisturizing oil that works miracles on your skin! You can also use in your hair for split ends!! <3

Comment

• In order to prevent your skin or your lips from dryness or being chapped, the first thing you must do is to drink lots and lots of water. That is the most important factor if you want to have healthy skin. And also don't forget to moisturize. There are actually moisturizers that are hypoallergenic and suited for sensitive skin.

Comment

• I believe that the best way to Get rid of Dry Skin is to Moisturize ones body and than to eat healthy and lots of Water a day

Comment

• Like others are saying, keep up on your fluids. Also, make sure to dry yourself completely after you shower/bathe. Air drying usually makes my skin dry. Be sure to get between your toes and behind your knees!

After I shower, I follow up with coconut oil. I smear it all over my body and let it set in for about 10 minutes before I put on clothes. Coconut oil is sooooo versatile. It's an awesome moisturizer, great for cooking with (I fry everything in only coconut oil), good for oil pulling, and you can even use it as a base for making soaps, deodorants, and toothpaste! The only con I can think of is it doesn't travel well, especially if you're going somewhere hot. It smells super easily.

For my lips, I use a vitamin E stick. I usually buy them at Walmart in the vitamin section, not the make-up section. They come in a white tube with gold lettering. They're great for your lips, the webbing of your toes and fingers, to help scars fade, to slick your eyebrows down, all sorts of stuff. They're affordable, too. Only $1,50 a stick! Hope this helps!

Comment

• If you constantly have dry skin, you need to check the water level of your body. Make sure that you are having plenty of water to keep your skin and body hydrated.

Comment

• Perhaps try more natural products? A lot of synthetic ingredients aggravate and dry out skin. There's quite a detailed article on dry skin by Odylique here: https://www.odylique.co.uk/blog/comp...ry-skin-guide/

Hope it helps!

Comment

• I know this is an old post but I still wanted to leave my two cents....
                          You need to exfoliate two to three times a week tops! You also need a moisturizing mask and a good chapstick with hydrocortisone in it. If your skin is not sensitive, I think you would be a great candidate for Glycolic Acid facial cleansers.

I just wanted to let you know that I work in a skin care office, so if you have any questions pertaining to skin care, I would be more than happy to assist you. THIS GOES FOR ANYONE WHO HAS QUESTIONS.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! =)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                          X