Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silver Fillings

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Silver Fillings

Has anyone ever had their silver fillings removed? I heard they can be toxic and can sometimes cause health problems.The dentist told my husband he needs a new filling and I wondered if it was best not to have it filled with silver again and slowly replace them with non-mercury alternatives as they fall out? Luckily we cleanse our bodies for health purposes and get rid of a lot of toxins but wondered if anyone had any personal experience with this (or know someone).

Rose

• silver filling are permanent fillings.they are not harmful.they are strong enough.nothing goes wrong when you remove it.no need to worry.follow what your doctor said.

Comment

• not sure

im not sure about silver fillings but i have a silver crown on my teeth its probably the same thing

Comment

• Silver Dental Fillings

I have heard here and there that the old silver compound from a long time ago may have contained some harmful chemicals, but I am not sure about the silver they use now. I am sure that the silver used now would have to be safe or someone would have put a stop to it already. As for having the old silver in your mouth, if there were toxic chemicals in them, I would think that if you have had the fillings for a long time, the toxic chemicals would already have all entered your body. At least, I would think. But I am not sure. So it might not do any good to remove them anyway if you already absorbed all the toxic chemicals. But that is only assuming there were any to begin with.

I too have some silver fillings. I have one tooth that is largely composed of silver now. My dentist has told me that I should change to the new composite as well. I have gradually changed almost all of mine from silver to the new stuff. He didn't really say that it was healthier per say, but that it would look more like a tooth and that it would probably eliminate any sensitivity to hot/cold food touching the silver.

Comment

• I am 37 and have had silver fillings since I was 11. I still have the ones on the top teeth but all the fillings on the bottom have fallen out and the teeth have decayed. I guess silver fillings are rare today. My dentist showed his assistant my fillings because she had never seen any. When I get fillings now they use something totally different. I never got sick or anything from them and all of my molar teeth have them.

Comment

• I have several at the bottom and the dentist is gonna have to pull all 8 of those teeth since they are decaying.

Comment

• Ouch!

Take care. You'll be a little sore, but meds would help it.

Comment

• Originally posted by caterpillar79 View Post
                Ouch!

Take care. You'll be a little sore, but meds would help it.
                I am in tears right now cause all those teeth hurt.

Comment

• Oh, dear! Did your doctor prescribe any pain reliever for you to take?

Comment

Oh, dear! Did your doctor prescribe any pain reliever for you to take?
                    I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and he gave me a prescription for Lortab and Amoxil.I am done with the Amoxil but the Lortab makes me feel shaky and I do not take it no more.I take Ibuprofen for the pain but it doesn't help much.I am crying right now and I have no friends that call me or check on me.I am alone.

Comment

• Do you still have some Lortab left? You should take it now, but you probably can lower the dose.

Comment

Do you still have some Lortab left? You should take it now, but you probably can lower the dose.
                        I do but I am not taking them anymore cause they make me feel lightheaded and my heart beat fast.

Comment

• I suppose you can cutdown your dosage in half. But it's up to you... I prefer acetamenophen over ibuprofen - they've the same function.

What else can I say...see a doctor as soon as possible!

Comment

I suppose you can cutdown your dosage in half. But it's up to you... I prefer acetamenophen over ibuprofen - they've the same function.

What else can I say...see a doctor as soon as possible!
                            I have a doctor's appointment on the 21st this month.

Comment

• That's too long to wait!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X