Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eating ice...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• eating ice...

So i have this addiction if u want to call it...

I dont know what it means but its starting hurting my teeth.

I eat ice...constantly.

Especially after a meal.

Ive been doing that for the last month and half and i don't know why.

I love it, and I feel like after a meal I NEED it lol.

Kinda like a cigarette.

Its really starting to hurt my teeth.

Any suggestions?
    ~Nakraju, svi smo sami~

• It only started recently, think back... What made you decide to do it?

CW
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Chewing on Ice

I have on good authority from the dentist that chewing ice, hard nuts (almonds), hard candy and foods can cause tooth cracks and fractures if done for prolonged perios of time. His advice was to not do it. I use to chew crushed ice constantly ....loved it...had to have it...but developed sensitivity to it due to my extensive dental work....so I stopped doing it . Still miss it

Comment

• maybe you can chew something else...like gum. i personally don't like the sound of ice being chewed. an urban legend i keep hearing is that if you chew ice you are sexually frustrated? i could be wrong. like i said its a urban legend.

Comment

• Make sure to have your blood tested, craving Ice is associated with Pica and those types of cravings are usually associated with anemia, some people just like ice though but would be good to tell your doctor that you are craving ice.
          Scars remind us of where we've been...they don't have to dictate where we're going.

Comment

• Eat with caution...

i just randomly stumbled upon this thread and thought i'd throw out the warning...

My mom has an ice pica and has had it for a few years now. She was slightly anemic before she started up with the ice eating, but it made it MUCH much worse... so much so that she just got out of the hospital because she needed a blood transfusion because her iron and hemoglobin levels were dangerously low.

She makes about 8 trays of ice a day - typically likes to eat after a meal as well...

the doctor has pretty much forbidden her from eating ice now.

please dont take this warning lightly... She is in a VERY serious state due to her ice eating. hopefully the blood transfusion will help with her dependency.

Comment

• I have had this addition to eating ice for about 5 years now and for me I find eating crushed ice relaxing. But I have cut down a bit after finding that it damages the teeth, and contributes to aniemia. I was so bad I would stop by the local store and purchase a bag of crushed ice each morning before work and by the end of the day It would be gone not from melting but from me eating it throughout the day. Some of my coworkers tried it and got hooked. Thinking back i never had drink with my meals I would always get a cup of ice instead. Its weird but it just tasted so good after a meal...

Comment

• how does it contribute to iron problems? i thought it was a sign you already had an iron problem, have a blood test to check the levels just to be sure.

Comment

• remember, the person who asked the question hasn't bothered coming back but however please continue to talk about it.

Never did it but i crunch my teeth in my sleep and that's bad...

CW
                  PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I have that delightful habit of crunching my teeth in my sleep too so i feel your pain! and now i wear a really attractive mouth guard to bed every night lol

Comment

• Whoa, I have never heard of anything like this before? But something weirder; my aunt craves DIRT. She would eat dirt when she was little and then she stopped, but it started up again and she's nearly 50! The doctor said she was severely deficient in Iron. If you have weird cravings, you should probably go to your doctor and get it checked out.

Comment

• eating ice

I was obsessed with chewing ice for many years.I knew which stores had the best ice for whever I went to. I would chew ice from the time I got up to time went to sleep. Turns out I was dangerously anemic and had to get iron shots and presciption iron pills. I was on verge of serious heart attack or stroke from my own blood. Big meat eater too. As soon as I was on this regime for a month my desire for ice completely disappeared-no joke. I have no craving for it. Get your blood checked. There is a correlation between ice chewing and severe anemia . Good Luck!

Comment

• i know I began feeling really fatigued unable to lift my head fromt he pillow in the morning sometimes in late march and I went to see my doctor and I was a severe anemic I had to have a blood transfusion and I currently get iron shots and take the pills also. Just as you said the crazing is not so great anymore but i still find myself from time to time grabbing a cup of ice.

Comment

• Eating Ice (almost died)

Originally posted by adrigirl View Post
                            i just randomly stumbled upon this thread and thought i'd throw out the warning...

My mom has an ice pica and has had it for a few years now. She was slightly anemic before she started up with the ice eating, but it made it MUCH much worse... so much so that she just got out of the hospital because she needed a blood transfusion because her iron and hemoglobin levels were dangerously low.

She makes about 8 trays of ice a day - typically likes to eat after a meal as well...

the doctor has pretty much forbidden her from eating ice now.

please dont take this warning lightly... She is in a VERY serious state due to her ice eating. hopefully the blood transfusion will help with her dependency.
                            Hi Adrigirl,
                            I am a 42 year old mom of three, and I have been eating crushed ice (only) for about 9 years, and just last year (will be a year in November) I had to have a blood transfusion due to low iron and hemoglobin count. I nearly died. I have been perfectly healthy, never been admitted to a hospital for any cause until last year. I knew I was anemic, but I did not think that eating ice would adversely affect my health. I was told by several people and read it also that craving ice was an indication that you may be anemic, but honestly, I never gave it much thought. I ate crushed ice EVERYDAY, crushed it myself in a blender so that it was soft like snow. It is very, very true that this addiction can cost you your life. I didn't know what was happening to me and it became so bad that I could barely breathe and walk. I took myself to the ER, and the doctors in ER said I was on the verge of having a heart attack because my heart was barely getting oxygen, and what little oxygen I had left, my heart was pumping in over drive. I've had to take Fergon iron tablets twice a day. I just stumbled across this website because my heart is experiencing irregular heartbeats AGAIN..... b/c I have started to eat crushed ice AGAIN.... I'm commenting b/c your message sent chills across my body and I am thankful for it because, after reading it I definitely will stop as of right now. You are a very bright young lady and your mom is very fortunate to have such a wonderful daughter who cares for her as you do. Thank you again, and for others who may read this, eating ice is a life-threathening addiction. It may seem harmless in the beginning and eating it is very soothing, but, yes it is an indication that something is wrong with your blood count and please stop before it is TOO LATE!

GiGi

Comment

• My aunt had a bad ice addiction. I think that she got it from her kidney problems she's had most of her life, or her perscription drugs, which had alot of terrible side effects. She used to chew on ice all the time because she craved it, but it could have possibly been an iron deficiency. She doesn't do it now because she knows how harmful it is, and her doctor told her not to.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X