Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Braces or invislign?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Braces or invislign?

I am seventeen and cannot decide between metal braces or invisilign. I would like to know if anyone on here has used the invisilign and if it worked as well as it says. Help!!

• I had a choice between both, and i chose braces. My reason behind that was because when I got braces, the invisilign had only just come out, and I wasn't too sure if they worked properly.
    But all my friends got braces after me and they got the invisilign and now their teeth look great now too, so I think both work the same, it just depends what look you want to go for.

A lot of younger kids just go with the braces to have all the different colours to choose from on their teeth, but I think as people get older they want more of a disguised look.

Hope this helps

xx
    Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly <3

Comment

• I chose invisilign because braces never worked for me years ago, Its worked very well i have like a month left to go! and no one knows you got them

Comment

• I just don't want the metal or the colors in my mouth. And also I don't want my teeth to have braces marks when I get them off because I am a smoker. None of my friends have gotten invisilign but no one has recomended them because you can take them off whenever you wish.... That's my only reason to second guess them.

Comment

• I only wear mine at night (im meant to wear them all the time) and they have still worked, taken longer than they should have though but still

Comment

• Originally posted by x.st.angel.x View Post
            I chose invisilign because braces never worked for me years ago, Its worked very well i have like a month left to go! and no one knows you got them
            Do they interfere with your speech, like give you a lisp or anything?

Comment

• For the first week then it went away

Comment

• And now I have one more question, the pain. Are they painful ?

Comment

• Anything that moves your teeth can be uncomfortable, but that usually only lasts like a day or two after braces have been tightened or you change your invisilign set.

Definitely go with the invisilign!

Comment

• I'll be completely honest with you. When my orthodontist put the first one in it hurt a lot and i couldnt get it out and when i did it hurt so bad. But in saying that after the first day or two that went away because you get a technique to pull the aligner out and to me personally i dont think they hurt as much as braces do. Braces can cut your lips sometimes. They give you wax for that etc etc but i find braces to be very uncomfortable

Comment

• That's true, braces can poke you and all that, on top of everything else.

I hear invisilign's a lot more expensive, but that seems to be the only drawback.

Comment

• Yeah mes is right there is a definite price difference, but for someone my age wearing braces kind of put me off what the prices were and i just went with invisilign

Comment

• Well you guys have been so so so helpful and I have made my decision, I'm going with the invisilign.

Comment

• Im glad we helped! Good luck and let us know how you go!

Comment

• This is a late reply, but I thought it might help anyone that reads this thread in the future.

I had braces when I was little, and back then I don't think invisalign existed - at least not where I was living. If I could do it all over again, I wish I could have gotten invisalign.

Braces and wearing the elastic bands between the upper and lower jaws has given me lots of life-long jaw problems. Whenever I open my jaw too wide (e.g. trying to eat a hamburger with the lot), my jaw clicks (I can click it on purpose just by opening my mouth really wide). Also I feel like my jaw 'joint' (whatever it's called?) doesn't quite know where it's supposed to sit, so often I feel like my jaw's sitting uncomfortably. I regularly have tension in my jaw, and sometimes pain, especially if I've slept on my side and put too much pressure on my jaw.

With invisalign, there are no elastics going between the top and bottom jaws, so therefore there is no tension being put on the jaw joint. I believe this is a much better option, because you're just fixing your teeth and not giving yourself jaw problems later in life. Other people's experiences may differ, but personally I don't think the risk is worth it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X