Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Referral to named consultant vs generic referral

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Referral to named consultant vs generic referral

Hi all

As some of your probably already know, I have been referred to hospital to have my wisdom teeth removed.

My dentist referred me to see a named consultant at the hospital but I have been put on another's list instead and when I questioned the hospital's oral surgery department, they said it was because some consultants got more referrals than others so they needed to basically even it out so they all have the same amount of patients on their lists and also to meet waiting time targets.

Is this just my hospital and does this mean I will get the best care still? Am concerned that as they are shuffling patients around that I may not get the best care...

Kind regards

Gamma

• I wouldn't stress too much about it. Sometimes professionals have a mutual agreement to refer patients to each other, nothing to do with their actual skill or knowledge, just a "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" situation.

The oral surgeons at that hospital are most likely all very good at what they do, or else they would no longer be working (enough complaints come through the door and the doctors get dropped like hot potatoes - at least here in the US). So don't stress about if you will receive the best care, you will.

However, if you really do want to have your procedure done by the oral surgeon you were referred to by your dentist, you could call the hospital and tell them to put you on that surgeon's list. You may have to wait longer for your appointment, but it shouldn't be a problem for the hospital to do that for you. If they are shuffling anyway, they will just put the next patient with the surgeon you switched from. No biggie!

Comment

• Hi, KMonte

Thanks for your reply.

This first appointment is just an outpatient one. I have spoken to the hospital and the next available appointment for the actual named consultant is a month away - think end of May, whereas this one is end of April. It means I would have to wait longer. The other problem is I am due to go in for surgery for something else in May and may not be well enough to attend the end of May one. Means I could be waiting even longer.

The oral surgery department said even seeing the named consultant does not guarantee I will get him on the day of surgery and vice versa.

I will see if when I go to this surgeon in April, I can ask if I am actually on the named consultant's list for the day of surgery and this hopefully is just because it is outpatient...

It is NHS though so that could be why no patients get to see or have the named consultant. They may even get trained on.

Private is the only way to get the named consultant and I really cannot afford that.

Kind regards

Gamma

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
      X