Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

local anaesthetic ...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• local anaesthetic ...

Hi all

As you might recall, I was referred by my dentist to hav my upper wisdom tooth out and for sedation or general anaesthesia due to gag reflex.

Anyway, the consultant who saw me decided to just do local and throat spray!

Will this be enough to stop my gag rflex as I really am not convinced or wanting to go ahead if it traumatises me.

What does the throat spray feel like? Is it horrible? He never really talked to me about what to expect.

Kind regards

Gamma

• I think that if you have a good dentist who understands what your concerns are, he will give you the proper advice and administer the correct anaesthetic.... (my dad gasses people for a living, so I kind of get where you're coming from!)

Just remember that it's totally ok to ask a lot of questions and even get a second opinion.

Comment

• The spray is just a spray, I think its lidocaine...could be wrong. The actual nerve blocking will depend on how much they use. Some people only need a tiny bit and some need more. They will probably use a soft tip instrument to gently rub your gums and throat to make sure it is all numb, and if it isn't then you just have to say so and they will give you more. The worst that can happen is they may just do more of the local (needle) anesthetic cause it will work better, but once you are numbed up from the first spray and whatnot you probably will not be able to feel any additional needles (if you need them). Also some dentists offer an oral sedative to help you relax during the procedure, not all do though cause most of the time patients are so numb that they can't feel anything so they don't have much to worry about.
      There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Hi, grrrr and ItsASecret

Thanks for your posts.

Does the throat spray actually numb my gag reflex though as that is a problem. That is why I am not entirely happy having it under just local anaesthetic and spray. This is also why my dentist referred me to hospital to be sedated or anaesthetised totally.

It's as if the oral surgeon ignored my dentist's letter, not that I even know what he put.

Oral sedatives do not work that well on me. Had quite a high dose before and it was very unpredictable as to when it would work and ended up having its effects well after the procedure rather than when I needed it most - while the procedure was done.

Gagging is my main worry, not pain particularly.

Regards

Gamma

Comment

• There is no gag if your nerves are frozen from the anesthetic. You can ask your dentist to check and recheck to make sure everything is numb. The sedative is not for pain, it is to relax so that you do not experience possible anxiety (again not all dentists do this). I would still say that going completely under is the best way to go because you will feel absolutely nothing until you are woken up again. But it costs quite a lot remember so if the dentist still says that local anesthetic in his/her chair is the way they want to proceed then all you can do is ask for lots of numbing agent. The dentists get this all the time because so many people have a gag reflex, so really this shouldn't be a problem once fully discussed.
          There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
          X