In more pain after root canal

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In more pain after root canal

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• In more pain after root canal

I had a tooth that had bothered me for a couple of years, mainly from sinus pressure and cold sensitivity. Has anyone seen the movie, "Castaways"? If so, you know the scene where Tom Hanks uses the ice skate to knock out a tooth? That how I felt about this tooth on some days. My dentist took some x-rays and finally suggested a root canal. His assessment was that the nerve was damaged.

I was apprehensive because other than two fillings, I've never had any problems with my teeth. But he is the professional, right?? Well, the root canal was done in October. The procedure didn't take too long and it really didn't hurt when he was doing it. All was fine until about midnight. OMG, pain. Long story short, the dentist put me on a double dose of antibiotics, and then a second round. Ladies, I need not mention what that does to a body.

Meanwhile, my dentist put a medicated filling in, which is still in place. He wanted to make sure that everything healed before doing the permanent filling. I went in today for him to take a quick look because I have an appointment for the permanent filling next week. I explained to him that this darn tooth hurts me more now than it ever did before the root canal. How the heck is that possible? He explained that the nerve removed was responsible for transmitting heat/cold sensitivity, but there is another nerve which is never removed. Then he proceeded to explain fanthom pain. Um...not happy. When I close my mouth and my teeth touch, there is pain. He pecked on the tooth and all I can say is it's a good thing my hands were clutching the armrests or I may have propelled myself to the ceiling. Hello...this is NOT fanthom pain.

So, has anyone experienced anything like this with a root canal? Any suggestion? I'm seriously considering calling an endodontist Monday for a second opinion.

• Oh no, that's carp.

He should have told you before hand about all of this before you put your trust into his hands.

Definately don't get the permanant filling until you have seen someone who understands and can 1) explain all possibilities and 2) find an answer.

If it is another nerve that can never be touched why do it in the first place?

If it is hot cold, there is a toothpaste that clears that problem, for sensitive gums and teeths, I've tried it.

If it is a tooth that is crunching on it, it may need to come out.
    PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Thanks CW.

I guess this is more of a raging vent than anything else. I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced more pain after the problem was supposed to be corrected, and if so, was there a solution?

I have been a client of this practice for 20+ years. So, I trusted him. Right now I'm not so sure.

Comment

• It would be interesting to find out how this situation has turned out. Can you give us an update, Euphoric? If it is another thread, I would like to read about it. I have had a number of root canals with several dentists and have not had problems with any of them.
        I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
        Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Update:

Although I would not say what I experience now is pain, that particular tooth is still very sensitive whether it is being touched or not. There is one spot in particular that I can touch it and it hurts. Yes, a year later and it still hurts. Ironically, I have an appointment in ten days and hopefully a solution will be found. If he tells me it's phantom pain again, I think I might stomp on his toe and tell him the same thing. I'm not a vain person, but I do take pride in personal hygiene and oral care. The funny thing is that this tooth never had a cavity, it just hurt, supposedly from a damaged nerve. I will NEVER have another root canal. I have actually thought about have the tooth pulled, but doing that and having a post implanted is not something I'm interested in.

JNS, you've had a number of root canals. Are any of those teeth EXTREMELY sensitive? Not to hot or cold, but to touch or from pressure?

Euphoric

Comment

• None of my root canals are sensitive to touch or temperature. I did have a tooth that was sensitive with a filling or two, but it broke in Cambodia three months ago and I had a local dentist crown it. I think she did a root canal on it but didn't have to put a post in. She did an excellent job and it cost only $125. She was not too long out of dental school in Phnom Penh. The crown was from a local dental lab and of middle quality. It was not a low quality Chinese crown. Two of my root canals are in the anchor teeth of a permanent bridge from years ago. The front tooth has a post in it. I had problems with my teeth by five years old and have had a lot of work since.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Sorry to hear you had problems recently, but glad you were able to get it fixed. Sounds like it was very reasonable, too. I've heard that genetics play a huge role in tooth composition and some people are predispositioned to have issues from an early age. I guess I've been fortunate where my teeth are concerned, until recently. I can't figure out why, when I can pin point the problem, he can't fix it?

Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a great evening.
              Euphoric

Comment

• Hopefully you will have a proper diagnosis and treatment during your office visit. An implant is not the only option for a pulled tooth. You could have a permanent bridge or a removable tooth. All have their pros and cons. Best wishes.

Comment

• Already i did root canal for my front teeth, that time never hurts and never shows negative emotions. But nowadays it slightly shows cold sensitivity.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X