• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stained teeth causing work problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stained teeth causing work problems

Hello, I am a receptionist at a hair salon in Oshawa. It is a posh place. I have been working there for almost two years now. I have a bad habit, that is, I smoke at least one cigarette every day and lately, I have started to get yellow and stained teeth. This has affected my job as well. My boss made fun of me in front my colleagues and asked me to go find a job elsewhere. Apparently, my job is to sit there and look pretty. I felt devastated. I went to a dental health care clinic near my home to find a solution to this and they asked me to get a teeth whitening job. I also want to quit my smoking habits. After all, all this erupted because I started smoking. I don't if I made the right decision. Is there another solution? Will this be covered by my health insurance? Kindly share your thoughts and suggestions.
    Last edited by jns; 05-16-2018, 01:43 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

It's an elective, cosmetic procedure so I doubt your insurance covers.

Personally I would find another job. What your boss did is completely unprofessional and could be considered harrassment and hostile behavior.

Comment

There may also be another factor at work here, not only does smoking cause staining of your teeth (so does coffee and red wine by the way) but smoking also smells. You may not notice it, but to those of us that don't smoke, even if you smoke outdoors and then come in, you will reek of cigarette smoke. It permeates your hair, skin and clothing. It can be very unpleasant. However, your boss did not have the right to demean you in front of another co-worker. Any kind of warning he may want to give you should be in his office or in the personnel office with at least one corporate official there as well. Get anything they say in writing as well especially if you plan on going to a mediation of some type.

Comment

I second Claret's post. I think you do really need to quit smoking: and not just because of the colour of your teeth. However, whether you quit smoking or not, only you can decide. I agree your boss could've spoken to you in private: and not mocked you in front of your colleagues. I do agree, though, that getting a professional tooth whitening treatment will benefit yourself, as well as your careeer.

Comment

I used to smoke and quit several mos. ago. My teeth need whitening, too. It's too expensive for me at a dentist but I have in the past used Crest Whitening Strips and it did a great job. My insurance does not cover it. The dental assistant told me the otc whiteners are just as good as the one at the dentist.
          Last edited by Valeriesvoice; 06-21-2018, 08:00 AM. Reason: corrected name of whitener

Comment

What annoys me is the price of tooth whitening: why is it so expensive? It's like you have to have loads of money to keep your teeth white. I have heard, too, that whitening toothpastes that are so popular don't work. Sure, they lighten teeth: but seldom whiten them. They do gel trays for $300. Do they work? No. I have heard it costs $3000 to have teeth professionally - and PROPERLY - whitened. Why does it cost so much?

Comment

Working...
            X