Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm bulimic and my teeth are getting bad...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I'm bulimic and my teeth are getting bad...

I perge 3-4 times a day and it's been this way for about 3-4 weeks .. I used to perge once a week or twice a week but it's gotten worse obviously. Anyways since I've been perging more I have worse morning breathe and my TEETH look like the bottoms are going to chip or something??? I'm 18 PLEASE HELP

• You HAVE to stop purging. Otherwise your teeth will rot off.
    Every time you vomit, stomach acid designed to erode everything you eat is passing by your teeth. It's probably STAYING on your teeth, too.
    Admit your problem to an adult as you've admitted it here. Check yourself into a rehab; you have a serious problem on your hands and likely have a larger problem than your teeth.
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Originally posted by Little View Post
      You HAVE to stop purging. Otherwise your teeth will rot off.
      Every time you vomit, stomach acid designed to erode everything you eat is passing by your teeth. It's probably STAYING on your teeth, too.
      Admit your problem to an adult as you've admitted it here. Check yourself into a rehab; you have a serious problem on your hands and likely have a larger problem than your teeth.
      WORD!
      Well some people say that you shouldn't tempt fate, and for them I can not disagree. But I never learned nothing from playing it safe; I say fate should not tempt me. I take my chances.

Comment

• Get some help ASAP. Not only are you going to ruin your teeth, but your throat and your body all together. Stomach acid is extremely powerful, you see what it's doing to your teeth, think of what it's doing to your esophagus. Eating disorders are not the answer to a healthy body.

Comment

• I agree with everyone here. This is a serious issue. Already you hav enoticed it escalating. In direct answer to your question, nothign will help your teeth until you fix the real problem. If you wait to get help it will onyl get worse. Excessive purging gets rid of ll the essential enzmes needed to properly break down and digest you rfood. Without these you wont be able to eat anyhing solid if this continues. Think of it this way.... vegatarians get to a poin t where their bodies CANNOT digest meat. They have lost those particular enzymes needed to break meat down. I knew a girl that had ot have her stomache pumped because some idiot put sausage in her pizza and she didnt relaize it until after the third piece!!! It almost killed her.. he had to be rushed to the hospital. Please please get help with this! There are so many good diets out there that you shouldnt have to resort to this. Your life and health are too precious not to fix this asap. Good luck!!!!!
          "Put on your big girl panties and deal with it!"

Comment

• don't think you'll be able to stop when you want to.

find help as soon as you can, and don't stop seeking that help until you are well. I too am bulimic, i first go the courage to seek out a counsillor at only a few weeks in, knowing that it was a problem from day one, however this person undermind me and made feel as though i was blowing it way out of proportion. it took until 16 months, a ruined relationship to the point of not being able to look at each other, many many lost friuendships for me to get up the courage to try again. I sort the help of my gp, who i was most terrified of, but in know way made me feel stupid or ugly or disgusting for having done this. he genuinely wanyed to help m,e, after all, that is what he has chosen to do with his life. it is still tough to walk through the clinic doors every time, and occasionally i still ind myself standing at the door ringing someone tp come out and get me to tal me in, or ringing a friend to remind me that it's for me that i'm going in, but i am slowly getting better, and now at 23 months i refuse to make two years.
            my teeth before i got sick cost my parents six thousand dollars to fix, not a day goes by when i don't regret having flushed that money away, uit's not too late for tyou, it never is. admit to someone what you have admitted to yourself, and like me you may find yourselkf sitting in many foyers not being able to walk through the doctors/counsillors/psychologists doors, but know that when you call there will be someone to help you. No matter how disgusting you think everyone will thin you are, trust me, they won't think it. you're parents/ siblings/friends whoever tyou have will just want to see you happy, to see you love yourself because you are so worth every day your are living.
            have the courage to start over, to reclaim your life. it will be a battle, every day for a long long tim,e will be a huge battle, but it is one you can win, it is one you must win. know your brave, know you're worth every little bit of the enormous effort, tears, and energy it will take, and take the little girl inside you and tell her why she got to this point and that it's going to be ok, because you love her, those who wil help you love her too. and you're going to get her the help she needs to be free, and full of life again.

good luck, you know you can do this. you are worth it.
            be brave.

Comment

• I have dental implants now because of over 30 years of being bulimic. Once your enamel is gone there is no turning back the damage without possibly having something like veneers on them. Please stop. Dental implants are terribly expensive. I love my new smile but trust me they will never feel like my own natural teeth for comfort.

Comment

• hi.
                first you have to STOP. you're teeth aren't the only thing that's going rot away. you will end up having acid reflux problems. so there goes most of the food you eat on a normal basis. you will have to take acid pills for that. and IF you don't take care of yourself now, you WILL end up having some type of esophagael cancer (because of your stomach acid eating away at your esophagus) i was bulimic for 7 years. its tough. but you can do it. find support wherever you can find it. now, i have to take pills for my acid reflux. i have to think twice if i want a burger or not. or even fries. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

there are other ways that you can diet. or have a sense of control. but please know that this ISN'T the only way. you have choices.

Comment

• Everyone is completely right. I am not advocating this harmful habit since I have been where are you..but it helps if you brush your teeth right after. The best thing is to obviously stop, and seek some help, I know that is tough. You have to want to change in order to stop. Think about what you are doing the next time you find yourself face down in the toilet.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X