Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Men giving women compliments

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patti-here View Post
    Pfffft. I might tell you to FO
    Yeah... It wouldn't surprise me
    [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• Well, Something, I wouldn't ask a guy w a gf out to a lunch date either. That's a bit far the other way, and I doubt his gf or wife would appreciate that.

I usually just say something along the lines of, I'm flattered they'd take time to ask, but no thanks, or smth similar. If they persist, I do get more assertive but usually, it isn't necessary.

Comment

• The secret to any type of successful interaction imo is really simple - you have to convincingly not want anything from it. (So that means, don't actually want or expect or hope anything from it. If something does come of it, fine, but if it doesn't you won't really care because you didn't hang your hat on it to begin with it.) Your motivation has to be only what you said it was.

So in practice, if you compliment a woman in almost any situation (okay, not a dark street corner), mean it, and don't expect her to do anything in particular because of it (and she's able to perceive all this), it'll be received well. Anything else and it likely won't, or the results will be mixed.
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Personally, any comment about my appearance makes we uncomfortable from strangers. Not because I don't think I look good, but it weirds me out that they are want to talk to me because of my appearance. Now if somebody said "good morning pretty lady," while passing by, meaning there was no intention of continuing the conversation, that wouldn't bother me.

In my dating days, I have picked up guys and usually it was just a random conversation. I might be sitting next to somebody at the bar, and we started talking about the band or something. When I was really young, dancing would be the conversation starter. If somebody asked me to dance, we might exchange a few lines on the dance floor like "what's you name," "where are you from". If I liked him, I might continue the conversation after the dance. But a guy HAS to be able to carry on a good conversation. Pick-up lines are for losers who can't think for themselves.
          Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Originally posted by sp
            Pick-up lines are for losers who can't think for themselves.
            Love. ^
            [FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR="#800080"][B][SIZE=4]Woman trapped inside a woman's body![/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/FONT]

Comment

• Oh also, slang is not cool. Proper language spoken with sophistication, respectfully and with an air of maturity is very different than adolescent jargon. A man saying "I hope you don't think it too forward of me to say that you have a beautiful smile" is very different than a guy saying "you are so hot" or "you have a smoking body."
              Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• It all depends. I have seen "you have nice ********" work for a guy. Age, venue, and intentions of both parties all play a role I think.
                [B]"Are you serious? You're [i]bleeping[/I] THAT girl?"[/B][B] - [COLOR="#B22222"]jen1447[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

• For the censored word, think of another word for "breasts."

Comment

• Originally posted by sp346 View Post
                    Oh also, slang is not cool. Proper language spoken with sophistication, respectfully and with an air of maturity is very different than adolescent jargon. A man saying "I hope you don't think it too forward of me to say that you have a beautiful smile" is very different than a guy saying "you are so hot" or "you have a smoking body."
                    I'm noticing this more and more too ....sophistication appeals, and childishness is just, well childish. Acting like a high school kid "don't impress me much."

Comment

• I hate to say it, but it's just a reflection of their over all mentality. I'm hardly a prude - I use some rough language & talk like a construction worker on occasion, but it isn't who I am or how I speak regularly, and it isn't the verbiage I enjoy over dinner either. When a man begins a discussion, never mind a brand new relationship, with this talk of hot butt & perky boobs, where do we have to go from there? Lol? Will he ever actually ask "how are you?" or just say, "how's those perky boobies today?" LOL
                      Ok, I'm joking & exaggerating. But unfortunately, most men I meet these days carry these same skills in conversation.

Comment

• I think Jen makes a valid point, Bro, but that'd be quite an achievement for you, because it seems, you clearly DO want something to come of it.
                        I still feel like I don't have a good understanding of what & where and I think the context is so important. Approaching someone in their workplace, as you did, is probably not a good idea. I have been flirted with on the job & I do not appreciate it one bit. My career is not personal - I strive to keep them separate. I don't think of those in a work environment on a personal level.

In addition, were you a shopper there? Generally speaking, jewelry is a personal gift...so she may have thought you were shopping for a girlfriend, or your mother (Mom's day gift by any chance?), and then just decided to throw a line her way...it just feels off-balance, and I will say, a little desperate. Maybe if she'd been assisting you with your purchase, you could have tried some witty flirtation to see how receptive she was.
                        I'm taking stabs in the dark here - I don't know how it really went down, but generally speaking, approaching women at work is not a great idea in my opinion.

Comment

• Thanks for all the advice again.

In answer to you're question kitty, I wasn't shopping for Jewelry, I didn't even acknowledge any of it in there. I was just walking past a shop thought a girl in there was cute, and introduced myself with a compliment. I think I'm over thinking this. I only ever tried it on one women, I should probably try it on a few more to see if I get different results...

Comment

• Well, if that's the case, she likely knew that, and it may have just been a little weird for her Sweetie.

Do you meet people other ways? Are you online dating or meeting women at social events and whatever else you enjoy doing?

Comment

• I've tried all that kitty, Online Dating is a nightmare to get a reply due to the ratio of men and women heavily being stocked in womens favour. When I do get a reply, I dunno it just doesn't feel natural. Girls just answer my questions, and they show no intent on carrying the conversation on...

I've tried local clubs like dance and yoga classes...put it this way, I think only once has their been a women around my age range there...

Also I've looked at through mutual friends...their isn't much going in that department either, my friends hardly go out, ironically because the majority of them are in relationships, so they lose a lot of their friends as they drift apart. But yeah, I dunno, this seems like my only option at the minute...or I move to a bigger town with more opportunities...

Comment

• Bro21 I only wish I got to try online dating. Seems fun to me. I say stick with it. When you make your profile try to be genuine, don't make it look like you're a "try hard." You may come off as looking desperate.

Also, I don't understand your friends that don't go out because they are in relationship. My GF and I are out ALL the time. I have not gone out with my guy friends in a long while and I have no interest in doing so because I enjoy going out with my GF more.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                                X