Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I date with PTSD?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Can I date with PTSD?

So I've almost never been able to get past a first date and I'm wondering if maybe I should just give up on dating. I don't even seem to be able to keep any friends. The thing is I have a couple of conditions that might turn people off. I have a neurological condition that causes muscle spasms and an occasional inability to speak. I also have loose ligaments so my joints pop out of place, and food allergies, I have twelve different food allergies. The worst of all of these things, I fear, is that I am struggling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am kind of paranoid and usually anxious around people, especially if they get close or touch me. After I've known someone for a while I slowly grow accustomed to them being close by, or even touching. Seven months ago I dated a guy for a few weeks who got angry that he couldn't touch me (seriously not even holding hands). I've been put on medication since then and my anxiety has gotten a bit better, but I had a mild panic attack on a date a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't texted me or anything since then, even though apart from the attack it went well... I think. I probably shouldn't be worried about this but my oldest sister just had a baby and my other older sister is getting ready to get married. I want to have that too, but I've only twice in my life been able to make it too a second date.

• Originally posted by Tori639 View Post
    So I've almost never been able to get past a first date and I'm wondering if maybe I should just give up on dating. I don't even seem to be able to keep any friends. The thing is I have a couple of conditions that might turn people off. I have a neurological condition that causes muscle spasms and an occasional inability to speak. I also have loose ligaments so my joints pop out of place, and food allergies, I have twelve different food allergies. The worst of all of these things, I fear, is that I am struggling with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I am kind of paranoid and usually anxious around people, especially if they get close or touch me. After I've known someone for a while I slowly grow accustomed to them being close by, or even touching. Seven months ago I dated a guy for a few weeks who got angry that he couldn't touch me (seriously not even holding hands). I've been put on medication since then and my anxiety has gotten a bit better, but I had a mild panic attack on a date a couple of weeks ago and he hasn't texted me or anything since then, even though apart from the attack it went well... I think. I probably shouldn't be worried about this but my oldest sister just had a baby and my other older sister is getting ready to get married. I want to have that too, but I've only twice in my life been able to make it too a second date.
    Well only thing I can say Tori, is talk with your doctor. Explain to him what can you do to try and have a more of a normal life with this disorder.i know this disorder can not be easy to live with as many guys will not want to date a women that suffer this disorder. So talking with your doctor and tell him this disorder not allowing you to live a normal life what can you do about it. Are there any other meds you can take as well. Another thing get a second a opinion on your disorder don't take the word of one doctor they can be wrong.I really feel for you so good luck and hope you can get a handle with all this you are going through Tori.
    When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• You are 20 years old. There is no reason to give up on dating.

If you don't mind sharing, what trauma caused your PTSD? Are you in therapy as well as taking anti-anxiety meds?

With all that is going on with you physically and emotionally, you will need to be patient. Develop friendships with men that could develop into romance over time. This will allow people to get to know you and for you to trust them over time. It can be overwhelming for someone who just met you on a date to deal with your issues all at once. Men your age are not particularly known for maturity or patience.
      "The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you." Despair.com "Dysfunction"

Comment

• I was abused by my father and I was raped when I was 10. Yes I am also in therapy, I have been diagnosed with PTSD by four different psychiatrists since I was 10.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X