Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you deal with your partner's snoring keeping you awake?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• How do you deal with your partner's snoring keeping you awake?

I have always been a light sleeper. The sound of snoring drives me insane and it takes me awhile to fall asleep (I have insomnia). My boyfriend falls asleep quick and snores kinda loudly. I think he may have sleep apnea because sometimes he stops breathing and then gasps for air in his sleep. I will ask him to get that looked into but for now, what are your suggestions on me dealing with his snoring, besides sleeping in separate rooms? My mother said "if you can't put up with his snoring you should just break up with him. But it's unlikely you'll find someone who doesn't snore." Id rather stay with him.

• Ear plugs? I use them when I have to share a room with someone who snores. But I'm yet to find ear plugs that won't hurt my ears. And if you need to hear an alarm in the morning, it's risky.

A long time ago, I had a SO who snored. We lived in separate places. I'd stay at his place till he'd fall asleep, then drive to my place. It didn't interfere with our intimacy.

I think separate rooms is the best solution. You can be in his room till he falls asleep, enjoy the intimacy. Then move to your own bedroom.

I've heard there are surgeries to solve the problem. Your bf could look into this.

There are men/women who don't snore.

Good luck to you.

Comment

• Yep, I used ear plugs, my ex was a shocker. I have to be honest with you, he was so bad and would do nothing about it, that we did end up sleeping in separate rooms and even then, I had to wear ear plugs, as he was so loud.

It's not the reason why he's my ex but.

I truly think that he needs to be seen to, I know that's not the thread but he should be able to get some assistance which is going to assist you as well. It's also not good to stop breathing in the course of sleeping, my Brother has been tested for that as well.

I also used to try to go to bed before him, at least I got some sound sleep before waking to the snoring early hours of the morning.

I'm lucky, D doesn't snore at all.... My "now" fiancé of 4.5 years.
      PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Ive tried earplugs. I can still hear him through earplugs. Right now we live separately. He has an apartment. There is no tv in his room which I could use to drown him out. He has a few drinks when I'm over there, which I think also contributes to snoring. / I've always had a problem with snoring. If I hear the sound from anyone, it drives me insane. I'd rather try to work through this.

Comment

• Have you righted Breathe Right? It's supposed the help but I don't have personal experience with it.
          Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Does he snore more if sleep on his back? My HB snores crazy too if on his back, so if his snores loud and wake me up, I usually move him little so he will then sleep on his side & to not bother me, is annoying & disturbing but sometimes I seem to sleep fine with his snores maybe because I'm used to it and it's not as loud. Using ear plugs will not work for me as it bothers my ears.

Comment

• If he sleeps on his front or back As he likes to he snores incredibly loud (even if I wear earplugs, turn on music on my phone, and a fan) If he falls asleep on his side it's not as loud but he will turn on his back or front before I can fall asleep. He doesn't wake up easily. I lie wide awake crying my eyes out because something is wrong with me. I feel like I should be able to put up with it

Comment

• ear plugs work for me. my husband is hit and miss when it comes to snoring sometimes he snores, sometimes he doesn't, it is annoying as he snores like a wild bore he never used to believe me when I told him he sometimes snore so I recorded him when he did snore and proved him wrong. If it doesn't work then tell him to see a doctor.
                It's all fun and games until you mess with a Portuguese girl.

-

Comment

• Thank you all for the suggestions. Earplugs don't seem to work for me. But I have found something called SleepPhones which I am going to try. For me it seems headphones help drown snoring out. He said he's gone to the dr for snoring when he was younger and had a nose job.

Comment

• Originally posted by horsyluvr View Post
                    Thank you all for the suggestions. Earplugs don't seem to work for me. But I have found something called SleepPhones which I am going to try. For me it seems headphones help drown snoring out. He said he's gone to the dr for snoring when he was younger and had a nose job.
                    SleepPhones what are they like. I might be interested?
                    It's all fun and games until you mess with a Portuguese girl.

-

Comment

• SleepPhones are like a headband with headphones/speakers inside. They come in wired or wireless. I found them used for half price on amazon. SleepPhones connect to your iPod/iPhone/mp3 player.

Comment

• ^^ You'd have to put the music really loud and it'd damage your hearing. Wouldn't it?

Comment

• I doubt it's any different than sleeping with regular headphones, when it comes to volume

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                          X