• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Vote on the New WH Logo! We need YOUR help!

Everyone, we need YOUR help! Take a moment to cast your vote on the new WH logo! Vote Here!
See more
See less

Are women attracted to perceived wealth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are women attracted to perceived wealth?

My son and I were having this conversation. Since typically, a woman’s number one need is security (not PC to state that, I know), then absolutely yes, all of these things being equal, i would assume a woman would pursue the rich guy for not only his ability to provide, but for breeding stock.

Of course I’m generalizing. For some women it might be of zero concern. I’m talking more the majority.

Oops meant “all other things being equal”

Comment

I think security is a factor for many women, and some men also. Security doesn't just mean financial tho, it means much more than being a good provider for those needs. I need to know my thoughts and feelings are "secure"...that I can trust a man with anything I say or share with him.

And being trustworthy in general. I have very high expectations in those areas much more than financial. I would date a poor man if he provided these things, more than I would a wealthy man that had no connection mentally or emotionally.

It's about security in many areas.

Comment

Yes. I agree. And I agree with Kitty as well. ALL else being equal (trust, loyalty, integrity, personality, sense of humor, etc) I would likely choose the guy with money. Of course, such a situation would never arise because all else would not ever truly be equal. My history proves I go for personality and emotional stability over money (hence my history with musicians...hahaha). Make me laugh, make me feel sexy, make my heart feel comfortable, loved, protected and joyous and that's really all I need.

I've had the "does money equal happiness" convo with my personal finance students many times. Thankfully, we all seem to agree that money does not EQUAL happiness, but certainly contributes to it and certainly allows for more opportunities to experience happy things.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Lack of enough money is a red flag. Adequate money vs a lot of money throws the decision to other factors.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

we were too young to have any money

we've never had any argument over money since we are both savers, not spenders
            would think arguments would more likely stem over people's spending habits
            (if one is a spender and one a saver)

would never want to marry a super wealthy or celebrity type person
            wouldn't fit in that lifestyle

Comment

That's what I forgot to add this morning. Debt and spending habit, or his attitude toward money would play a huge factor for me as well. If he had a lot, spent a lot and thought money was the point to life-not going to be someone I'd spend time with.

I have known rather wealthy people who lived very quiet, understated lifestyles. One would never guess they were millionaires. That's how I'd be, if I had real wealth.
              I've also known some that were fairly well off, that lived still well beyond their means...that is just ridiculous to me. I'd want no part of that.

So, no...I wouldn't always choose wealth.

Comment

“So no, I wouldn’t ‘always’ choose wealth” pretty much answers my question.

Comment

It's kind of funny how things have went for me. When I was in high school I was awkward with the ladies so I did not have a girlfriend or dates (no car). In college the awkwardness continued as did the lack of a lady in my life. When I graduated and moved to California, it continued. I traveled to other countries, ended up with girlfriends and finally got married. Then I heard complaints about all of the good guys were taken. No, they weren't. A lot of them were ignored until they were successful and were with someone else. When betting on something that later turns out to be a good thing, it is always better to get into the game early. No problem, it has taken my life in a direction it may have not gone. which is for the better for me.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Interesting conversation.
                    Security seems paramount to many women, and while money does not equal security, it's way ahead of whatever's in second place.

As for me, I've always found myself most attracted to the "exciting" woman, the flirtatious, outgoing, and most-importantly, intellectually-stimulating woman, the one who can argue, debate, and match wits with with me - without it becoming "personal." "Security" never has crossed my mind.

Comment

No. Women ain't attracted to perceived money. They're attracted to real money, as in Kash is King and Amex Black.

I can drive 10 miles and watch gold diggers mining rich dudes. Only problem is rich dudes know mining operations. Rich dudes bang 'em & dump 'em in the iron pyrite heap.

Few things as stupid as a silicon infused miner digging for what she can't earn w/o using her mining equipment.

Comment

Men also seek out women with money. If all was equal, as in the original question, men also would likely choose a woman (or man) of means.

Comment

I am sure there are some that do, but I'd say they are the exception. Most men are much more shallow than that - we go for the woman who looks the best!
                          :-))

Comment

I guess I don't fit the category. I grew up poor with both of my parents coming from poor families. I have much more affinity to women from poor families than women from even modest means. Rich, I don't have anything in common with. A rich wife who could lord over me if she was so inclined, would never be my choice. I can understand a poor woman wanting more in life and looking for a husband with a good job. I would choose her over a middle class woman, all else being equal. In whatever case, I would expect the children to be instilled to love to learn and to get ahead.

Comment

I think it is more among younger generations.

Comment

Working...
                              X