Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate.

Whether you've given up on online dating or are still on the quest for the love of your life, we want to hear all about your online dating experiences!

We devoted an entire article to the topic and the things that we women can do to increase our online dating success stories.

You can read the entire article here:

http://www.womens-health.com/online-dating-advice-women

• Great article, Chrissy! I've actually never done any online dating. I know we have several members here, like atskitty2 and others who have/do and have had some interesting experiences over the years to share.

I have noticed that on social media when it comes to poking fun at online dating, the fun is always poked at the men (thanks to their infamous junk pics and other "not so suave" approaches), so I really appreciate that this article puts more of the focus on women and what WE can do differently to perhaps attract what we're looking for.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Thanks Ashlee T.! I've got some horror stories I could share as well... I've gone on so many first dates with men who have wildly misrepresented themselves in their profiles! But mistakes are definitely made on both sides.

I think photo filters are a big one with us ladies -- It's so tempting to use filtered pictures, with our dating profiles AND on social media in general. The most common complaint of the men I spoke to was that we don't end up looking anything like our pictures.

It's hard because on the one hand, you want to put up your nicest photos but on the other hand, you don't want to let the man down when you finally get to that first date... Online dating is weird because in this way, you're making TWO first impressions. If they're incongruous, it can be a disaster!

Comment

• I agree Chrissy M.: photos can be photoshopped and can be very misleading. However, if I posted a picture of a supermodel, my date would quickly realize I had photoshopped by profile on the dating site! LOL. A little enhancement is fine, but it should be realistic.

I suppose there are many such stories within the world of online dating!

Comment

• Popcorn&Candy - Some of the snapchat filters out there REALLY change an appearance but yet make the appearance look natural. It's so freaky!
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I've been off and on the dating sites for many years as well. I'd heard from men I met and male friends how bad it was for them and not just misrepresentation with pics. Over a year ago, I joined some dating groups, online, that are designed to be support groups for those in the dating scene, male and female. That was a real eye-opener for me. I was shocked at the women more so than the men. The comments and attitudes generally show poor judgement and character.

Thankfully I've been off the sites for quite awhile now. I am dating someone regularly that I met last winter. We met through a dating app, but we've not really talked much about it. He wasn't a regular like I was, it was just good timing that we met when we did.
            I will read the article soon, and probably have further comment. It's an interesting phenomena, for sure!

Comment

• Ha, online dating sounds more difficult than regular dating although a lot of the same ground needs to be covered. I had my best dating experiences in other countries (not in the USA), maybe because the dating was more traditional.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I finally was able to read the full article.

i agree that low self esteem is driving far too many of the seekers on the sites. In hindsight, that was true of myself as well, in the earlier years. In the groups I mentioned above, it's a blaring characteristic I see in the men and women.

I also think it is very important to recognize that our ages change the approach we take to building new relationships, whether romantic or friendship.
                Dating is hard!

Comment

• I have noticed this as well! So many people who are jumping between relationships because they just aren't comfortable with being alone (and I was super guilty of this in my twenties as well!)… No matter which app you use, the scene can be exhausting. This is why I allow myself frequent breaks

Comment

• I haven't tried Online Dating myself, but am considering it. I certainly want to find love, after losing my soulmate.

Anyhow, I am open to love and meeting the right man. But maybe there are many Mr Rights? Love does not always have to be with the perfect man [even woman for many]. Because the "perfect" man does not exist. Of course, he has to be hot, but no one is going to fit all the criteria. Still, standards are important. What I am trying to say is I will happily settle for Mr Near Perfect!

Comment

• many Mr Rights? Yeah, I am not a believer that there is that one right, best person for us. That sounds kinda ridiculous when you think about the world's population.
                      What's holding you back from trying online?

Comment

• Sheer nerves, atskitty2. Yes: really. I have seen someone I like [he works in Tesco] but don't know how to approach him. Plus, it is easier to admire someone from afar. At least that is what I tell myself.

Back to online dating: I may give it a go. Out of curiosity, do you have to pay for such a service? Which are the best dating sites? I'd appreciate more details and information.

Thank you!

Comment

• Popcorn&Candy , Definitely give it a try! There are so many different sites to chose from, both paid and unpaid. My personal favorite is OKCupid, which I've used on and off for many years. You can use it for free, or upgrade to a paid subscription to unlock bonus features (For when you're really serious about finding Mr. Right ).

In the last section of my article, I described a few other great options, and provided a link to Dating Scout which provides thorough reviews of all the different dating sites.

Let us know what you end up using and how you like it! Good luck!
                          Last edited by Ashlee T.; 11-07-2019, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• I am single since 2 years and I cannot find a partner can somebody recommend me a good dating website where there are good and nice dating girls and also should I go to a relationship or not? Any body help me

Comment

• My recommendation for you P&C, and stark48, is to find what sites are most popular in the area where you live. I've learned that what is most used in my region, isn't necessarily true in the next state over, or even in the next major city. So, ask around and try out several of the ones available. P&C I know you're in UK, so it is very likely different there.

And, please, get some feedback on your profiles before posting. Let a trusted friend get a set of eyes on it before you post.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X