Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Self-Sabotaging My Relationships? How Can I Stop? - Let's Discuss!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Wondering if your body is normal or freaky for your age? I don't understand-what do you mean by that?

How old are you, out of curiosity?

When we are strong, independent and solid within ourselves, we tend not to make these poor choices.
    It's when we're in a position of weakness that we accept these sub-par relationships.

It's kind of like being very hungry and going to a restaurant that's quite busy with only 1 table available,and it's the one next to the bathroom. So you take the table, because you're starving, and pretend not to mind the sounds of flushing toilets, smell of other people's waste, and constant traffic past your table...you were too hungry to wait for something more pleasant.
    We're in a vulnerable position when we're really "hungry" and we'll accept whatever we can get.

When we are complete, when we're whole and fulfilled women, when our lives are full already, we won't just take any crappy "table" that's offered. We'll wait the extra hour for that seat with the ocean view, relax and enjoy a nice meal. This is an analogy of course, and I hope you get what I'm driving at. There's a desperation that comes when we aren't fulfilling our own needs.

It seems like I've made every dating mistake possible, aside from accepting abuse in any way. It's hard to find someone that is a balance for us, and if we do, there's a good chance there may be other peripheral issues to cause the relationship to fail. There are so many variables and we're human, after all. Everything is math and chemistry!

The bottom line is, we have to do the work within ourselves, before we can build a solid foundation and healthy relationship that will bring fulfillment to us, and we can add something to that partner's life too. Our goal should not only be to have our needs met, but to contribute to their life in a meaningful way as well.

So, I'd encourage you to explore that. What is it really driving you to date, and what is it that you really want? It has to be more than "a baby". What is it that you need in a partner? What is it that you would not tolerate? How is it that you feel most loved and validated?
    Also, really begin considering what kind of partner you are. What is it that you bring to the table in a relationship? What are your strengths? How do you love? What will you contribute mentally, emotionally and otherwise?
    You can be honest. This is just you having a good discussion with yourself, or writing it down.

These things are important when you're "interviewing" potential partners. It will guide you toward the person that will meet your needs, and give you an idea whether or not YOU are a good match for them. It's important that you realize that YOU must meet their needs as well. If they are happy, they'll be much more inclined to be a giving partner and your relationship will connect on that deeper level.

Assess these characteristics and possibilities before you allow yourself to be drawn in by physical attraction, or other more superficial attributes. You'll also be able to recognize when a partner needs something that you are unable or unwilling to give.

Does this make sense, or just overwhelming?

It takes time and can be a bit much, but it helps to move in this direction.

Comment

• Thank you atskitty2 for the thoughtful response.

As for the first question, I spilled a great deal about that in another thread. Doubt people want to hear it again.

For the rest, I totally understand what you're saying. That's one thing I've been doing with the time I haven't been dating is giving a lot of thought and work on self-improvement and considering how to have healthier relationships. I am also aware that it is an ongoing task in life, trying to get healthier.

Comment

• Pastel Yellow - It's sometimes hard to differentiate between self-sabotaging relationships and just being in relationships with people who aren't right for you. Of course, I have only a grain of information, but it sounds as if the latter is more accurate in your case. You aren't ruining relationships with awesome dudes who are crazy about you. Or at least, it doesn't seem so.

I do think our physical insecurities can hold us back if we let them. When we are single for any length of time, we get so used to hiding our bodies in a sense, that it seems so scary to think of exposing it to someone new. And if we let ourselves get SO in our heads about it, then it can really screw things up especially when you find someone who thinks you're perfect just the way you are. I do not know your medical history, but it sounds like some good consistent and challenging physical exercise as well as an increase in protein could help you regarding your physical concerns.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Thank you so much Ashlee T.

Comment

• I agree atskitty2: if it ain't broke, definitely DO NOT fix it! You're a normal person who has insecurities, but you've been adult and worked through them with your partner. Of course you're emotional, but you're still mature and don't play games in relationships. The fact you're able to discuss things with your partner means you're not acting like a child, for lack of a better term.

If you're satisfied in your relationship, then that's wonderful and you're right to keep working at maintaining that relationship.

Comment

• Ashlee makes the important distinction between self-sabotaging a relationship, and just sabotaging yourself. Sometimes I think that sabotage begins before we ever get into a relationship. We begin by choosing people that we know are wrong for us, that we know we're not going to build a relationship with.

Comment

• Well said, atskitty2.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to Old member

welcome back chaya

it must have taken time to divorce from your husband
                  so there was time to change your mind, forgive, and stop the...

Today, 05:54 PM By amy40
                • Reply to Old member

It really isn't a matter of being "wrong" or facing any sort of judgement. It is just a matter of doing what is best for you and your daughter....

Today, 10:51 AM By Ashlee T.
                • Reply to Which is the best way to decrease weight?

It sounds like mini cakes are not a useful diet food, no matter how mini they are....

Today, 02:00 AM By jns
                • Reply to Gut Health

Everybody has bacteria in their gut. Various bacteria colonize the gut shortly after birth and I supposes that the last bacteria die slightly after death...

Today, 01:58 AM By jns
                • Reply to Old member

I think you have to trust what your heart is telling you: not what you "should" do. Do what will make YOU happy. Sometimes we all have to forgive...

Yesterday, 02:20 PM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Old member

I haven't been on here for a long time. This forum helped me get my life together. Having reached a new low in my life, I'm back for more advice. I'm...

02-14-2020, 03:48 AM By chaya
                • Can I bed my mother in law?

I'm 40 married. My wife is ok if I bed other woman as far as she don't know who it is and it's not in the same bed as hers. We had a open discussion on...

02-11-2020, 01:12 PM By sam.extcool
                • Knowing when to push at the doctors?

Hello ladies!

A little bit of background. I am a 30yo mom of 3 kids (ages 10, 5, & 2) - I had all via c-section, also had my tubes...

02-10-2020, 02:30 PM By AnneDixon
                • Just to say Hi!!

Hello everyone, What's up?

02-08-2020, 04:45 AM By Emily2020
                • Dating married man and need advice

So I have been seeing someone for five months. During our third date, this man told me he was married, but was now divorcing. I believed him, however...

01-31-2020, 05:47 AM By MariaL
                Working...
                X