Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to school.

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Going back to school.

I made the decision this summer that I am going back to school. I have a BATH in psychology but don't work in the field. I manage a business. So I decided to get my MBA. I am so nervous about going back to school. It has been so long. Any suggestions to help me in my journey would be appreciated.

• Don't take too many classes at a time. Maximize your scores because you now have time to do your best. Work with the school to find out what you have to complete and when. If you are capable and the school allows it, take some courses somewhat out of order (if necessary) to be able to take courses that are offered only so often.

Starting at 40, I took classes at a junior college for 10 years in CS/IS which gave me the opportunity to jump job classifications. It was not my intent to actually do that as I was taking the classes for personal enrichment. I took almost every class offered and had straight A's which I feel was key to the job jumping.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• The MBA program I am doing is one class at a time 7 weeks with a week break. You can't take classes out of order for an MBA I already know the basics I have a degree already. I also worked my way through school the first time.

Comment

• I took classes at 40 as well JNS which shows it's never too late, our brain still works. I had to do a degree in Business for "my business" so learning law at 40 wasn't the most easiest task.

You'll be fine, mingle with different people who will more than likely also feel strange and you will get support. Treat it as a new experience instead of an old one and one you will feel awesome after in achievement.
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I'm doing an online program so no mingling.

Comment

• A few years ago I went back to school as well. This was for a change in career. Very scary since I already had a successful career. Some of my fellow students were young enough to be my child. I was nervous as first, but I loved it. The great think about schooling at our age is that we are a lot more focused. We know how to write, do the research, focus on what is important and basically get it done. You can't procrastinate when you have a job to do go, kids to take care of and a household to run. I loved every moment of it. During that time, I completely stopped watching TV and had to be very disciplined about getting things done and not taking on too much outside activities. I didn't go to in-law BBQs (I didn't like them and I now had an excuse not to go). I took my books (everything is ebooks now) where ever I went so I could get a few quick reads in. No leisurely reading.

It's not hard to do when you love doing it.
            Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
              A few years ago I went back to school as well. This was for a change in career. Very scary since I already had a successful career. Some of my fellow students were young enough to be my child. I was nervous as first, but I loved it. The great think about schooling at our age is that we are a lot more focused. We know how to write, do the research, focus on what is important and basically get it done. You can't procrastinate when you have a job to do go, kids to take care of and a household to run. I loved every moment of it. During that time, I completely stopped watching TV and had to be very disciplined about getting things done and not taking on too much outside activities. I didn't go to in-law BBQs (I didn't like them and I now had an excuse not to go). I took my books (everything is ebooks now) where ever I went so I could get a few quick reads in. No leisurely reading.

It's not hard to do when you love doing it.
              Very similar to my experience. Nothing to be afraid of.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• If you are going for a masters program there is nothing to worry about, its much easier and takes lesser time. Though if you have a family to manage apart from your studies time management becomes crucial.

Comment

• This is very detailed and good ideas on how to ease back into the school year. Check out this of the best online resources for learning expert.
                  Last edited by jns; 09-23-2017, 12:39 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

• Good on you! Proper time management is a must!
                    Last edited by janecialpn; 12-31-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• Praise on you for settling on the decision to backpedal to class. When taking on the web classes dont put excessively on your heap. Its simple to get behind, believe me!
                      Last edited by jns; 08-03-2017, 11:02 AM. Reason: Outbound links are not allowed.

Comment

• How exciting! Once you're into it, you'll love it. Just take it day-by-day and draw up a timetable on your computer. The best of luck with it and I have no doubt you'll come out of it with top grades.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        Working...
                        X