Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was fired

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• I was fired

Back in August, I started a temp position that was my first job out of college. Before Labor Day weekend, the recruiting agency who got me the job told me I was fired by my supervisor. At the time, she never told me that anything I was doing was wrong. In fact, she never spoke to me or was even in my field. Even though it really wasn't my dream job, it gave me happiness that I am starting up in my field.
    Since it was a short time, I didn't put it on my resume and said I have been "freelancing" (meaning for family that I wouldn't mention in an interview) since my last semester in college. I feel like my reputation has been so damaged that it is causing a tremendous setback in my life.
    How have you handled being fired?

• It sounds there are too many layers to get the straight story. Is it possible that you were laid off due to other factors such as trying to reduce payroll? If you were doing satisfactory work but other factors led to your termination, you could have that crucial first reference. Any worthwhile company would give you an explanation of why you were terminated even though employment is at will. Talk with the recruiting agency.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I'm sorry you've been fired. Keep your chin up.

Comment

• Talk to the temp agency. Ask them what the reason for dismissal was. It could be as jns said, but if there was some unsatisfactory performance, you want to know what that was, right? So that you can be aware & correct that for future employment.
        I also agree w/jns that this supervisor & this company lacks some skill in approaching employees with difficult conversations. I think we all appreciate a chance to improve, when we know there's an opportunity. They didn't give you that chance, which is sad, even tho you were just a temp, not a staff member.
        Get more info, so that you can give accurate info to other prospective employers. It's a growth opportunity.

Comment

• atskitty, Avatar Nirvana said it was a recruiting agency. We will have to wait for clarification on if it was a temp job. I got my second job through a recruitment agency. They had a financial interest in my staying employed at my second job for a year or two.
          I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
          Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• She said it was a temp position, her first sentence. Am I misunderstanding? At least here, in my experience I've heard "temp agency" & "recruiting agency", "placement agency" used fairly interchangeably, although I do know there can be some subtle, or not-so-subtle differences.

Comment

• Sorry, I missed even going over it again. Thanks for pointing it out.

I tend to consider a temp agency different than a recruitment agency. I suppose a recruiting agency is less distinct. A placement agency I would lump with a recruitment agency. Both I would consider working with permanent jobs.

Comment

• Originally posted by jns View Post
                Sorry, I missed even going over it again. Thanks for pointing it out.

I tend to consider a temp agency different than a recruitment agency. I suppose a recruiting agency is less distinct. A placement agency I would lump with a recruitment agency. Both I would consider working with permanent jobs.
                I would expect the temp agency to know the reason for termination with a better explanation than "you were fired" unless it is the end of a limited time contract.

Comment

• Sounds like there is more to the story of why you were let go. Seasonal job, laid off, etc. Don't take it too harshly. Sometimes lack of closure in a situation like this can do wear on the mind. Constantly trying to figure out what happened, what you did wrong, why you were let go. The lack of explanation can do that! Just realize that it made way for better opportunity and obviously you weren't meant to have that job! Its all good! On To The Next!!!

Comment

• Since recruiting agencies mostly do temp positions, I consider temp agencies another name for them. Anyway, moving on.

I'm just wondering if it's too late to get back to the recruiter on his call with the company. I just want to know why my supervisor couldn't be an adult and tell me that something was wrong in the first place instead of whining to the recruiting agency.

Comment

• I would absolutely get more info, I don't think it's too late at all. I would want to know if it was something as simple as not being a good fit for the specific expectations of the workplace, or a performance problem. I would get some answers, so that you can address them for yourself moving into another job, if indeed it was something you did wrong.

It could be something as simple as not needing the work as long as they anticipated, or it could be more. I agree, it would have been nice for them to give you a chance to make right what you'd done, but being a temp, it could be that they just didn't want to invest in the additional training...seek answers, it could be anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Avatar Nirvana View Post
                        Since recruiting agencies mostly do temp positions, I consider temp agencies another name for them. Anyway, moving on.
                        Because it was a temp position. That means the employer lets you go as needed. That's how temp positions go. They have no reason to invest in talking to you about your performance. Additionally, they can just let you go if work is slowing down, their budgets don't allow it, one of the supervisors just didn't like you, etc. Don't read much into it. That's what temp jobs are all about. You keep moving from place to place.

You don't have to list it on your resume if you don't want to, but you also can list it as a time you were temping. Just the word "temping" implies you were working at various places temporarily.
                        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                        X