Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My career --simply venting

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• My career --simply venting

For the past 18 months or so, my job profile has changed. It requires lots of personal upgrades ,either done online at our own time during days off or pay out of my own pocket travelling to the major city center to attend credited courses etc. All these require more money and time. I'm only working part time, hence I only get part time benefit, when I'm in trouble, the company will not back me up because I'm part time but when the company is short on staff to work, they call me and I'm always stupidly soft to say no problem . Now come to knowledge upgrades, I work part time therefore I only make 2/3 of income cs full timer yet I require to have the same upgrade as those full timer . That makes me mad. The company is cheap, they don't pay for any expenses for those upgradings either to full timer or not, so here is the only fair part...
    When I need to vent at work, I've no one to vent to, those work with me, they only finished grade 12 diploma people, they don't understand what I'm frustrated about. They always whine they're under pay compare to me which I earned my professional degree going to university . I don't see what they whine about if they're not willing to go back to school to further their education to be a professional.geez.....

• I realize you're venting, and probably aren't wanting or expecting any responses, but if I may offer some words of encouragement for you.
    First, if the company is requiring things that you aren't willing to do without feeling bitter about it, which you seem to feel, then don't continue working for the company. If it's costing you out of pocket for required travel, there may be compensation available for that. Look into these things-the policies & the laws in your area. If you are an hourly paid employee, they cannot "require" you do things off the clock, without compensation.
    Every employer I know of, does not offer the same benefits to P/T employees. I presume you understood the policies when you accepted the position, and they were satisfactory at that time? If they no longer suit your needs, or it's changed since you came on board, look elsewhere.

If you are "over-qualified" for the position, find something more fitting for the educational background you have. That would be advantageous for you monetarily, & likely offer the types of challenges you may be looking for to feel more fulfilled in your career.

Also, please realize that carrying a degree does not make you a "professional". Those co-workers of yours who have less collegiate education than you, I presume are doing the same job, for less pay, so what ARE you whining about? You chose to accept a job that only requires a high school diploma? Maybe rather than looking down upon them for their choice not to further their education, find some common ground with them. They can behave themselves as professionals, or not, as much as anyone else, regardless of education. Because they have a lesser degree of education, doesn't mean they don't experience the same perceived unfairness & irritation by the company, and coworkers, in the workplace. Try to understand THEIR perspective, if you are asking that they understand yours.

I'm in no way suggesting that you shouldn't be well-paid for your college background, but all in context with the job duties as assigned. If you're in the US, generally, a degreed employee will make more than a non-degreed worker, regardless of the job. Keep it in context, and try to understand the points of view of those around you, and handle it as a professional. Either make the necessary changes for yourself, or be a leader: do your job in a way that sets a higher standard & set the example for higher education for those folks, rather than setting yourself apart in a resentful manner, as it seems you've done.

Comment

• What you describe is a losing situation your employer has created for you, and it is the same situation faced by many these days. Education and training used to make a difference and could shield you from forced downtime and lack of benefits. Now it doesn't matter. Company executives look only at the short term benefits they gain from slashing labor costs, and not at the long impacts they will have on the company (by then, they will have received their huge bonuses and moved on to other companies).

Comment

• [QUOTE=atskitty2;n739567

Also, please realize that carrying a degree does not make you a "professional". Those co-workers of yours who have less collegiate education than you, I presume are doing the same job, for less pay, so what ARE you whining about? You chose to accept a job that only requires a high school diploma? Maybe rather than looking down upon them for their choice not to further their education, find some common ground with them. They can behave themselves as professionals, or not, as much as anyone else, regardless of education. Because they have a lesser degree of education, doesn't mean they don't experience the same perceived unfairness & irritation by the company, and coworkers, in the workplace. Try to understand THEIR perspective, if you are asking that they understand yours.

[/QUOTE]
        THX for the respond and shocking for I found some responses as I was simply venting because I really have no one to talk to about my issues. Anyhow, my coworkers don't carry the same responsibilities as I do nor I do the same jobs as they're . this is only a small setting company that require less than 10 employees and only 2 other full timer are in the same position as I'm . As in today's economy , I should be thankful that I've a job & im content with my pay but I'm whining about is that I've to use my own expenses for upgrades and I cant say this out to others as they've always trying to compare my pay vs theirs which they don't do the same jobs or carry the same responsibilities as I'm ....oh well , again ,I'm just venting

Comment

• If you're making expenditures for company/work required items, travel, you MAY be able to claim this on your taxes. Check with your tax preparer.

I totally get the point of venting - I do - but I'm trying to help you potentially find ways to have LESS to vent about Lower stress levels & not feeling taken advantage of, are great ways to be a better employee.

Comment

• Well having a college education does not guarantee you, success in the business world. Both my dad and grand father hadn't graduate from high school. They both was very successful in business and did very well in life. When I took over my father business, I hire a few college grads and many of them didn't last long with in the business. One of major rule with me was having basic common sense that a few didn't have and, that to me is very sad I feel. What I trying to say four years of college doesn't guarantee you nothing in life.
            When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
            Working...
            X