• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start a new career?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start a new career?

Hi all,
    I've been a marketing manager for about 2 years and I think I'm starting to get bored of being in front of computers all the time.
    I've been going to the gym for 1 year already and all my friends use to tell me that I inspire them to keep motivated with their fitness goals as I never give up. I have some personal routines for when I train in the gym or outdoors and I know how to eat healthy and how to establish diets depending on the goals.
    I am wondering if I could make my way as a personal trainer?
    I think I'm good with people, and may have enough knowledge about the fitness lifestyle.
    Should I quit my job and start? How should I go about it?

It sounds like you may need some sports physiology courses and maybe some nutrition courses to round out your knowledge. Find out from your gym what they require if they have personal trainers available and talk to other personal trainers about their educational background. Plan your exit from one job when you already have the next one lined up.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I feel your pain. I've been in business/finance now for over 10 years and I find myself increasingly tired of the desk/computer work-life.

I can't give you better advice than what jns did. Prepare yourself. There are courses you can take and certifications you can work toward. Find out what you need, work hard and get those so you can line up a promising career before letting go of the one you have currently.
      "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

To be a personal trainer/fitness instructor, you need to be certified most of the time. You can do that while you are at your current job. Don't quit right away. Being a trainer is not an easy job. You are constantly trying to find clients and you work as a contractor for a gym which means no benefits. It is always possible to do the trainer job on the side.
        Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

Definitely don't leave an established career until you have researched and have a plan in place. You're 19 correct? My advice would be to get some (or more) college classes in your schedule. Study fitness, nutrition, marketing or business, and give yourself the skills you'll need to put yourself out there and be successful, and earn a decent living. If you feel passionate about this, it may be a career for you some day, but it isn't likely to happen quickly, in a way that you can sustain yourself financially.

I'd encourage you to do as suggested above, look into it as a side job, before you jump headlong into it. It may not be at all what you think.
          Good luck! And congratulations on the year long commitment to fitness you've already made!

Comment

Hey all,
            Thanks so much for such a good advice. I was like feeling like a rush for getting started on this but you all are right. I do need to prepare myself more and yes, I need to get certifications to be a Personal Trainer with more quality and also benefits.
            I have been reading around as to which are the best personal trainer certifications which ranks ACE and NASM at the top. They seem to be highly recognized and NCAA accredited. Anyone have any experience with one of these?

This has turned into a long-term goal but I can't wait to get started with the process

Thanks again!
            Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; 01-11-2017, 07:27 AM. Reason: Removed outbound link - not permitted on WH

Comment

Obviously, it will take a good few years to be qualified for being a personal trainer. But if it means your dreams coming true, then go for it! Stay at your current job and use your pay to afford the classes. You can do anything you believe in.

Comment

Working...
              X