• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Start my career after a long career break

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start my career after a long career break

I'm a women and have a long career break. Where do I start? Should I update myself?

Hello Shezam, welcome to WH! Many careers need updated skills. What was your career and what career are you trying to get into?
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Yes, update your skills, take a course, enroll in night school. Update your resume or CV AND take a look at yourself. Update your look, purchase clothing equal to the position you seek. Get some job placement assistance with your interviewing skills. Be prepared for a different workplace.

Comment

Originally posted by shezam View Post
        long career break
        depends, what was your career before?

some women decide to start their own business after a career break
        or decide to make money from a hobby
        or with a few classes can resume their previous career

what was your career, what are your interests, and what skills did you develop during your career break?

Comment

Going to a night class to update your skills could be a good idea. Maybe doing a volunteering role could look good on your CV. Basically, find useful things that show you've made the most of your time. Showcase a hobby of yours. Maybe you're good at painting? Or textiles? Be creative with your skills. I do hope I've helped.

Comment

thank you for all your valuable comments!

Comment

Originally posted by shezam View Post
              thank you for all your valuable comments!
              Hello shezam, welcome back. Please give us an idea of what you have done to restart your career.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I'd also be interested to know!

Comment

Working...
                X