Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Casual or cocktail attire?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Casual or cocktail attire?

Ladies! I need help!

So I sent a resume into a company about a month ago, that is 3 hrs from my home. They seem interested, have contacted me 3 times, and have now invited me to their Open House happening tomorrow night.
    I'm going to go. Problem is, the invitation says that cocktails and appetizers will be served.
    **Cocktail attire or casual** is acceptable.

What? How in the world should I dress? . From what I've gathered the workplace is laid back, they do yoga in office, dogs are in the office, and they have office lunch... Very kicked back atmosphere.

With my knee jacked up I can't wear heels so, I was considering a nice black pant and sassy off-one-shoulder top. I could do flats and hide my knee brace. Lol

I think of this as an interview of sorts. I want to make a great impression and not seem over the top either... But I am completely thrown by the wide range of acceptable dress? Usually it's semi formal or cocktail attire, OR casual/business attire.... Wtf?

I won't go casual but I can't see a cocktail dress being the thing either...
    Ideas? The sassy top I have has just a touch of sparkle at the neckline. It's classy but sexy and not over the top dressy. . Considering that they ARE serving alcohol, I imagine it isn't going to be considered out of line to be off the shoulder....? Or is it?

Thoughts?

I'm such a goofball! Lol

• That's a tough one. You don't want to show up super overdressed OR underdressed. It sounds like there will be a mixture of both probably, some in dresses and heels and others in more casual. I like your idea of nice pants, cute flats and a cute top (off the shoulder is fine in my opinion). Pair it with your new cute hair and some snazzy jewelry.
    "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I will be much more confident with being a tad underdressed than over dressed... I'm thinking this is the best choice. I really wish I could do heels tho, as I'm just more comfortable in them. Falling isn't really an attractive thought tho. Limping with a barely noticeable knee brace under my clothes is much less dramatic. Lol

I am going to shop for a better quality pair of pants today tho... The ones I have are a size bigger than I wear now, and with a fitted top it'll be noticeable.

I asked one of my male friends... "you make it way too complicated". Yeah, I probably am, but I'm very interested in this company and relocating may be good for me right now.

So I'm off to the mall or somewhere for nice pants or skirt...

Comment

• Cocktail attire used to be sparkly, blingy, high heels and for men dark suit and tie. I think much has changed since I was doing these things though. As BD said, it's probably be best to go slightly understated but not casual. IMO I'd like to add this: This is your first face to face interaction with the people of this company and perhaps business partners, contacts and businesses that they work with. I would not go with anything considered "sexy". It may form the wrong impression. You want to be professional, competent and personable.
        That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claret View Post
          This is your first face to face interaction with the people of this company and perhaps business partners, contacts and businesses that they work with. I would not go with anything considered "sexy". It may form the wrong impression.
          have to agree with Claret

glad it went well kitty; hope it doesn't take too long to hear one way or another

Comment

• In hindsight, I wish I didn't go with the top I chose, but it's too late now. I suppose bare shoulders are considered sexy, tho I didn't think the outfit was inherently sexy. I thought,as you said Claret, that it's an interview really. Unspoken and not technically, but it's an interview of sorts. The casual encounters with them so far via email caused me to let down my guard, or lapse judgement.

I had a 3 hr drive, and I wished about 30 minutes in that I'd worn a dress, or a button down instead. I wish I had at least thought to take a cardigan or something to wear over it. I even thought I may stop and buy something else, but I didn't want to be too late.

At any rate, it went well. Spoke with 2 of the managers, and I really love the place. She told me she has 25 to interview. Sigh... odds are not in my favor, as I'd be the only one relocating. They do help cover costs.
            So, I'll wait to see.

Comment

• If your the one they want, relocation costs should not make the deal go sideways. You probably wouldn't want to work for a company that was more focused on the bottom line rather than trying to get the best fit for the position.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• I agree jns, but it's a small company that is growing very quickly. They've gone from 20 to over a 100 staff in just a few years. So, there are so many of us applying with very similar backgrounds, I can't imagine they wouldn't choose the one that would cost them less, if we're of similar knowledge and skills.

My focus has turned to finding the way to make myself stand out in a way that will make added costs actually seem beneficial for them long term, rather than an excuse not to hire me.

I spoke with some employees that have been there for years, and a new hire of 4 months. All very bright, engaged and happy people. I tried to suss out things that they all have in common and trends in their personalities and backgrounds, and their style of communication and approach to their job. Everyone I talked to loves the job and the company. Very little turnover.

The managers were up front about what they're looking for and I know i fit the bill.

I need to decide if I really want to move there... If this is a step I'm ready to take.
                The possibility for growth and advancement are there. The company philosophy is still very staff focused for now. It's a field I could stay in thru retirement.
                There's a future there. It'd be a hard thing to pass up if an offer is made. Pay is another factor. Idk if they can offer what I make now or more... But the exchange would be stress relief and opportunity.

Cost of living would be about the same there. Operating and paying two household expenses until such time I decide to rent or sell my current home, could get tight.

Lots of considerations.

Comment

• I am getting ready to retire from a job I have been at for 30 years. One of the things that plays in is who I have to deal with on a daily basis. Most people are great, but there is one in particular who is a constant irritant. I would say that the stress relief from this position is something that shouldn't be discounted.

With going from 20 to over 100, it looks like this company is doing something that the market wants. Are they only offering salary or do you also get company stock as compensation? Getting stock is a gamble,, but sometime it can pay off handsomely.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                    I need to decide if I really want to move there...
                    Operating and paying two household expenses until such time I decide to rent or sell my current home, .
                    Considering what happened at your current job recently re job interviews, it seems you may be given the opportunity you are looking for and the chance to move forward in your life. Think how sweet it will be to turn in your two week notice.
                    Houses are selling pretty good right now. We have gone to several open houses only to find note on door, that open house is cancelled/ sale pending.

If you are offered the job out of 25 people, you'll know what to do.

Comment

• Jns I didn't ask about compensation at all, in these early stages. I can see the benefits already, and I can only guess if they approach staff as it appears, they also pay well. They offer a lunch in program, with healthy meals half paid for. In office yoga and fitness equipment, and take your dog to work days. There's a ping pong table in the open square, and the whole office, as available, meets at 4 on Friday for in office happy hour, for drinks and apps, and social hour all considered part of the 40 hrs required work time... Work from home is allowed 2 full days a week. What they're finding is that people love working there so they come in to work anyway.

I was impressed by the families there... Socializing. Employees had badges so, it was amazing to see these people with their spouses, children, in there, obviously enjoying each other's company. Thoroughly impressed me.

The girl told me she has been shocked that they mean what they say about healthy living and healthy attitudes and approaches to work life balance.
                      They have put their money where their mouth is helping paying for healthy foods and encouraged down time. They have walk around time 2-3 times a day to avoid fatigue from sitting at computers and eye strain... She said the job has its moments, but there's really never a day she goes home carrying the weight of the job into her home life. That's huge. I worry about work all the time... She told me she came from my background and about a month in, people noticed a big change in her personality. The stresses of work weren't weighing her down and she restarted hobbies and things she hadn't done in years... She said she will never understand why we do what we do to ourselves in this field.

Unlimited paid time off too. I had to ask about this. She said there are guidelines to follow but they have found that people don't abuse the generosity because they're valuing so much of the company, and minimizing stress has decreased the need for excessive call offs and extended vacations. She said so far, it's been a non issue. Flexible schedules and ability to come and go from the job is another factor.

As they grow, I think they'll need to reign in some of these freedoms tho...

Comment

• I'm glad it went well. I wouldn't worry too much about any fashion error. It sounds like a dream job. I think you'd love it there. But it's your life and you've got to decide if that is a job right for you. Do keep us updated.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
                        • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                        Working...
                        X