• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating skills

I think we have some well-educated, savvy posters here at WHF. If you are a mature professional, what rut do you find yourself in, that must be continually improved in order to stay marketable and relevant in your job today? What changes have you found that must be met with openness and aggressive self-improvement to keep your skills sharp and stay at the top of your field?

I've held my dream job for the past 10+ years. It's a niche, that doesn't easily spill over into other careers. I have a degree and a science background, so of course, that is relevant in other jobs, but my particular skill set is rather specialized. While I love my chosen field, the time has come to move on, for various reasons. What I've found is that I'm over-qualified for many things, yet woe-fully underqualified for many positions requiring the same education, simply because my focus has been so specialized. Other candidates will cast a shadow over me quickly. What I hope to do is to acquire some additional skills that will help set me apart from others. There's simply only a market for my skills, in my particular niche. I sort of painted myself into a corner, so to speak.

As you've aged, what have you found you need to continually update and keep general knowledge of in the workforce? I feel as though, the past 14 years since I graduated and dove whole-heartedly into my career, I sort of buried my head, and pushed forward and didn't keep a broad enough net for general changes, not just in my profession, but in the expectations with employers, and the changing landscape of professionalism in America. The way to communicate, to network, navigate and work the system/game, etc.

What have you done to keep yourself sharp, and current as you've aged and experienced your profession. How have you not settled into your ways, and became stagnant? How have you kept your ideas and inspirations fresh and udpated?

I am not a career women such as yourself but have had numerous jobs
    at one point I start taking graduate level courses but since I couldn't decide on one path, it wasn't worth the expense and stopped

my degree plus volunteer work did help me get most of my jobs plus I like education so along the way I've taken other credit classes at the community college (over a years worth) as well as non credit classes

I've had supervisory experience so that has helped

Comment

I went to community college for ten years starting at forty to build up my computer science background. I had a different focus than I did in my twenties. I believe my taking courses was the difference in advancing. I made sure that I only got A grades. The challenge kept my mind sharp.
      I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
      Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Jns I am considering very heavily the option of additional classes. The area of focus is the big question.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
          The area of focus is the big question.
          have you ever considered teaching?

I know several people who switched to teaching for a second career

Comment

or real estate?

home prices are rapidly increasing
            real estate is also another field that people often go into as a second career

or your own business?

Comment

I heartily recommend junior college or community college for gaining skills in a new direction. I found the professors there interested in teaching students new skills as opposed to my experience at a school that granted bachelor, master and doctorate degrees where the professors were inconvenienced by teaching undergraduates.
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I did consider teaching, and would still be open to it, if positions were to open up in the right program. My resume is on the list at the college. Those jobs are a 10, and they're hard to get into.

Real estate, actually interested me very much. I looked at the expected salary for agents and was shocked at the hours vs income. Not an attractive option.

Jns, we actually have a great couple of colleges here in town. I attended one when I was still deciding what to do, and it was the best education I ever got. That would be where I'd return, for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X