• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating skills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment agencies can be an effective way to get good interviews. I used one to get my second job in Los Angeles. They expertly rewrote my resume so it had the desired impact.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I'm going stir crazy with no job...it's great, but it's stressful.

I think I am going to try an agency this week actually. Maybe that's the better approach since I'm trying to re-enter a field I haven't worked in for 10+ yrs.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
        I think I am going to try an agency this week actually. Maybe that's the better approach since I'm trying to re-enter a field I haven't worked in for 10+ yrs.
        that sounds like a good idea especially since some companies go through agencies to fill jobs for them
        (not just temp jobs but regular permanent)

Comment

I have kept my computer skills up-to-date. I use my home computer daily, so won't become rusty if I ever search for another job. I am considering doing some sort of business class in September. I'd be very interested in business studies and just building my knowledge. I don't need to be shown how to use a computer, so there is zero point is attending a computer class. I also don't need help with my math or English. And I have all the office skills I need. It'll be business, if I do a course. I do think it is important to keep your options open and update skills. I love working at the charity, though, and will carry on doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            kitty, did u go to an agency?
            any openings in the field you were in before?

hopefully, you've had some interviews

Comment

That must be very frustrating, atskitty2: being over qualified and yet under qualified for jobs is very heart breaking. I'd certainly keep your computer skills state-of-the-art. I would do research into any potential job and see what abilities and skills they're looking for. If you lack some skills, then you could consider attending night school. It would work around your current job and you'd gain the knowledge and skills you need. You've got every chance of updating your knowledge and adult education classes will greatly benefit anyone, including yourself.

Comment

Nothing of note, so far amy. Waiting patiently, and trying not to pull my hair out.

Thx Popcorn.

Comment

I wish you good luck with your job searching, atskitty2. I know that's awfully weak, but I don't have much to add to my previous post. I am glad I helped, though. It IS very frustrating being in your situation. But, as I've previously said, you can update your skills. Anyhow, do keep us updated. Good luck.

Comment

I had a similar issue, working at one place for 16 years and finding my skills rusty, since we did not keep up with the times. What I did was try to improve my skills in the job I had and looked for opportunities, through freelance work, to gain new skills. It's tough, but you can do it. I eventually found a new job that was a good fit, they needed someone strong in the skills I had and were willing to let me pick up new skills along the way.

Comment

I'm glad things turned out well for you, Silvana. You've told an inspiring story. Updating skills IS vital to going up in the world and just contributing to the work place. I use the computer constantly and work part-time in an office, so my skills are up-to-date. Gaining work place skills does also not mean years and years in adult education: it could just mean a day session or a 10 week course two hours a week. It doesn't have to eat into the person's time or interfere with work and family. So I would advise anyone think about whether they do need to increase their skills and check out adult education classes.

Comment

Working...
                      X