• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Vote on the New WH Logo! We need YOUR help!

Everyone, we need YOUR help! Take a moment to cast your vote on the new WH logo! Vote Here!
See more
See less

Have you negotiated an offer or a raise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Have you negotiated an offer or a raise?

    Hi everyone, my name is Jordan and I'm curious if you've ever negotiated for an offer or a raise? If so, how did it go? If not, why haven't you?

    I'm thinking of starting a company to help coach women through the salary negotiation process and would love to help anyone who's interested (for free while I get up and running).


    I look forward to hearing from everyone!
    Last edited by Beautiful Disaster; 06-26-2018, 07:21 PM. Reason: removed outbound link

    #2
    Hi Jordan! We'd be glad to learn more about this and discuss salary negotiation, but you can't post outbound links or advertise services here.
    "Be what you're looking for."

    Comment


      #3
      I have never negotiated an offer or raise, but am very interested in reading member's responses to your thread.

      Good luck with your company! When it does get up and running, many would be interested in getting advice. If I may ask, what made you come up with your business idea? It is genius.

      Comment


        #4
        I have negotiated an offer, but never a raise. I work in higher ed and well.......WHAT'S A RAISE!?!? The only time my salary has been increased is when I have taken on a new position. In those cases, I did negotiate one of those as I expected more salary than my predecessor departed with. I asked for $5k more than her exit salary, and received 3k more than her exit salary. So, I didn't get exactly what I asked for but they did budge.
        "Be what you're looking for."

        Comment


          #5
          I'm curious what other services your company would offer?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
            I have negotiated an offer, but never a raise. I work in higher ed and well.......WHAT'S A RAISE!?!? The only time my salary has been increased is when I have taken on a new position. In those cases, I did negotiate one of those as I expected more salary than my predecessor departed with. I asked for $5k more than her exit salary, and received 3k more than her exit salary. So, I didn't get exactly what I asked for but they did budge.
            If someone left a position, it may have been due to salary (it was partially due to salary on my second job in CA). It is perfectly proper to negotiate for more. As for raises, on the second job, I had a year end review where my boss did not give me a raise. I had never seen my boss so apologetic. The big bosses kept a lid on the budget so there was nothing he could do. However, when I gave my two week notice 5 months later, I was offered a different job that paid significantly more. I turned it down because the job I was taking at a different place offered about the same salary as that offer, advancement, better retirement and long term stability. It became a career. Raises came regularly due to union negotiations.
            I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
            ...
            Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

            From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
              Hi Jordan! We'd be glad to learn more about this and discuss salary negotiation, but you can't post outbound links or advertise services here.
              Got it, thank you for clarifying!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                I have never negotiated an offer or raise, but am very interested in reading member's responses to your thread.

                Good luck with your company! When it does get up and running, many would be interested in getting advice. If I may ask, what made you come up with your business idea? It is genius.
                Thank you so much!! I am starting to help my first few clients & definitely happy to chat more if it would be of interest. What's the best way to get in touch?

                The inspiration came from being continuously frustrated with the wage gap and simultaneously realizing that several of my strong / brilliant / successful female friends had never negotiated, and only rarely pushed for raises!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                  I'm curious what other services your company would offer?
                  Initially we'll start with salary negotiation & raise coaching, but from there I could see us expanding into career coaching, networking, & mentorship. Are there other services you think would be particularly useful? Support you wish you had career-wise?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    No, I was just curious how this will possibly be profitable with only that as your primary service. Seems like each client wouldn't pay much for this, wouldn't be too many returning clients, etc.

                    Would you focus on professionals, with 6 figure incomes, and charge a percentage of the raise? Or a flat fee?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      How is the business going, jsalederulo? Have you started it up yet? Do keep us updated.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X