Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do You Consider Internet Work "Work"?

I do.

I am always on Facebook and the suchlike. I realize it sounds like spam, but it is legit. I also have my books being sold online and my poems published on a major website. To me, Internet work IS work. Just because I am not at a till or whatever does not mean I am not working.

Internet work is very popular these days: and I don't just mean YouTube or Instagram. The Internet is a business within itself and there are many opportunities to make a living from the Internet. That is my stance, anyway.

What do you guys think? Is the Internet "a bit of fun and not a proper job" or is it a way to reach the world? I go with the latter.

• Absolutely 100% YES! If you are doing work that you're getting paid for you're doing work. If you're doing work that assists in your professional growth, you're doing work.

The only reason these jobs get labeled as "not real work" is because typically they are work we ENJOY and, in America at least, there is a notion that REAL cannot include pleasure. It is why so many people are 20 years or more into jobs they hate going into every day. Work doesn't have to mean "UGH...work!" .

"Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Yes. Sometimes, I think it takes more out of you than a job that you physically go to, as you need proper boundaries in order not to bring internet work to other things that you do at home.

Comment

• I agree with your post, Ashlee T. Work is work. Because you're right: if you're getting paid and doing something that helps in your professional life, you're working. And I agree with your other point: just because you enjoy something, does not mean it isn't work. There are many ways to work and it doesn't have to be in a busy office or at a till. The typical stereotype of what working is is history. Technology has also made work a different concept. Because computing and media work IS work.

Times have changed and those old days of the work system has changed with technology. Plus, I think all forms of work should be valued.

Comment

• Digital marketing is my work. So it's very much a necessity!

Comment

• In the digital age you can enjoy your work you do online, regardless of its your main source of income.

Blogging, art, content development can all be mental health solutions.

I have many passion projects that involve working online

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashlee T. View Post
              Absolutely 100% YES! If you are doing work that you're getting paid for you're doing work. If you're doing work that assists in your professional growth, you're doing work.

The only reason these jobs get labeled as "not real work" is because typically they are work we ENJOY and, in America at least, there is a notion that REAL cannot include pleasure. It is why so many people are 20 years or more into jobs they hate going into every day. Work doesn't have to mean "UGH...work!" .
              I personally think every one should blog or do something that provides emotional release. That can be talking about your favourite bands or even, dare i say it, posting topless pictures on snap chat and everything in between.

The beauty of forums like this is that you can journal and get replies

Comment

• I could not live without my computer, MrMr, so you're right with what you're saying. Blogging/Facebook/everything else, does help mental health. Maybe that is why social media is so popular! And also, work can be work, even if you're not being paid. Now, I would like to be paid for my online work, but will carry on with my Internet work nevertheless.

I am glad to read everyone's views on this subject. Because the concept of work has changed with technology. That is why I love science and technology so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                  I could not live without my computer, MrMr, so you're right with what you're saying. Blogging/Facebook/everything else, does help mental health. Maybe that is why social media is so popular! And also, work can be work, even if you're not being paid. Now, I would like to be paid for my online work, but will carry on with my Internet work nevertheless.

I am glad to read everyone's views on this subject. Because the concept of work has changed with technology. That is why I love science and technology so much.
                  What online work do you do? Perhaps i can help. It's my area of expertise these days

Comment

• Social media is such a great platform to make a living. Apart from the obvious advantages it has to self employers and business owners, i have big respect for those that can make money by simply shaking their *** in their bedroom. Its a ridiculous hussle which makes it even more brilliant.

Celebrities are born out of social media these days.
                    ?

Comment

• They definitely are celebrities born out of social media, MrMr.

I'm not a celebrity, but work online includes:

1. Being a Cosmo magazine Internet Forum legend
                      2. Having 1000's and 1000's of Pinterest posts
                      3. Being on other forums for years and years as an agony aunt
                      4. Having my poetry on a popular website
                      5. Having my books sold on Amazon, Waterstones and other Internet companies
                      6. Promoting products and companies on Facebook

I really keep busy. I have been using the Internet for a good 20 years now and never have gotten bored. I do loads and loads of work on the Internet. So I think it is work, too.

Comment

They definitely are celebrities born out of social media, MrMr.

I'm not a celebrity, but work online includes:

1. Being a Cosmo magazine Internet Forum legend
                        2. Having 1000's and 1000's of Pinterest posts
                        3. Being on other forums for years and years as an agony aunt
                        4. Having my poetry on a popular website
                        5. Having my books sold on Amazon, Waterstones and other Internet companies
                        6. Promoting products and companies on Facebook

I really keep busy. I have been using the Internet for a good 20 years now and never have gotten bored. I do loads and loads of work on the Internet. So I think it is work, too.
                        Digital marketing is so important. I keep thinking about how I could make money from my life and story. I've done a few podcasts and low key modelling stuff. If i had a 6 pack I'd be all about social media

Comment

• I hope I have inspired you, MrMr! I think - if you really want - you can do loads of digital marketing yourself. It is very enjoyable and there is little stress. Plus, it gets you out there and promoting companies does pay off. With the right computer skills, anyone could do the same. I definifely enjoy this type of work and always will.

Go for it!

Comment

I hope I have inspired you, MrMr! I think - if you really want - you can do loads of digital marketing yourself. It is very enjoyable and there is little stress. Plus, it gets you out there and promoting companies does pay off. With the right computer skills, anyone could do the same. I definifely enjoy this type of work and always will.

Go for it!
                            I really want to start a podcast. I recently bought mics and have a decent camera but I'm struggling for a content theme. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Unfortunately, I have no clue where to start with a podcast: I am sure everyone on here will be able to advise you.

Good luck! But I do think you need to take your time when recording your podcast: any errors will be immediately noticed. Take your time and be aware of the content you're including in your recordings. And I would also advise - someone you really trust - give their opinion when you're happy with the podcast you've done. Obviously, you don't want to give your ideas away, so do make sure you're 100% confident you can trust the person. This sounds paranoid, but it is better to be careful than be let down.

Again, good luck and I hope I have helped.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X