Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do You Volunteer?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't use the computer there, but I assist members of staff.

Over to you.

• I preach the good news of God's kingdom. It dominates my life. My wife and I view our secular work as a means to support our ministry
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• That's wonderful, Stillness. I am religious myself: although not to your level. Still, I was raised Roman Catholic and went to church every Sunday as a child. We had a wonderful priest at our school. He was a nice, caring man and very understanding.

I don't go to church often these days - although I have been to a number of church weddings - but still believe in God, the angels and Jesus. Because only Jesus doesn't betray and never turns to stone. I could go on, but that is my penny's worth.

Again, I am glad for your work, Stillness. Having people make the world a better place gets my vote.

Comment

• Anyone else?

Comment

• Was out last night handing out sleeping bags to homeless people. The charity I work with have a campaign begging people to donate so people end up in a sleeping bag rather than a body bag.

The temperature has really dropped here lately and unfortunately that means the death tole is going to rise.

Last night we gave out 11 sleeping bags. So hopefully that impacts peoples lives.

The same group are out every night now.

Comment

• I think you're wonderful and generous, MrMr. What you do deserves credit. Definitely be proud of yourself. Handing out sleeping bags to the homeless is incredibly caring. You're right to do that and spend your time helping those in need. I do charity work myself and it is so rewarding.

Be proud, MrMr.

Comment

• I volunteer with hospice.

It can be a little depressing but it's been a very rewarding experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                I volunteer with hospice.

It can be a little depressing but it's been a very rewarding experience.
                Thank you for volunteering. Family and friends have been in hospice. It is important to have someone who cares nearby at the end.
                I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• You are a credit to volunteering, atskitty2. It sounds difficult having to handle your work, but it must be rewarding, as you say.

It is wonderful so many people do volunteer. Again, it is very rewarding knowing you're making a difference. Because there are people who only work for money: but that isn't right. Volunteering means contributing without a paycheck and helps the world heal.

I am glad I started this thread.

Comment

• I have continued working at the charity. I don't see a reason to give it up. BUT I have been thinking about getting another job on top of my current one. I love computer work and want to do such a job. I would specialize in social media. Plus, I have a great resume. I'll get a good reference from my charity job. 11 years at the same job is quite an achievement. It would put me in good stead. Plus, my published writing will look good on my resume.

I have a lot to offer in the world of work. Social media is my passion.

Comment

• I am thinking of getting a domestic service job: I am excellent at cleaning - and enjoy it. I love domestic environments and doing practical work. Of course I still have my charity job, but I shall - in the New Year - apply for a domestic job. I can do both. I do also have my writing being sold in shops and online, but feel I need to contribute more to society. So, this is how it'll be:

1. Continue with the charity
                      2. Keep writing and selling my work online and in shops
                      3. Get domestic work

I think doing these jobs will greatly benefit me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
                        I have continued working at the charity. I don't see a reason to give it up. BUT I have been thinking about getting another job on top of my current one. I love computer work and want to do such a job. I would specialize in social media. Plus, I have a great resume. I'll get a good reference from my charity job. 11 years at the same job is quite an achievement. It would put me in good stead. Plus, my published writing will look good on my resume.

I have a lot to offer in the world of work. Social media is my passion.
                        Why don't you start your own thing? You are such a fantastic writer and that should be put to use. Why don't you start a community group? You can never have enough of people wanting to help. X

Comment

I am thinking of getting a domestic service job: I am excellent at cleaning - and enjoy it. I love domestic environments and doing practical work. Of course I still have my charity job, but I shall - in the New Year - apply for a domestic job. I can do both. I do also have my writing being sold in shops and online, but feel I need to contribute more to society. So, this is how it'll be:

1. Continue with the charity
                          2. Keep writing and selling my work online and in shops
                          3. Get domestic work

I think doing these jobs will greatly benefit me.
                          What about a running a community group that teaches low income families how to do basic domestic cooking and cleaning? I was at a group earlier this week where a wee boy was putting sausages in his pockets because he wanted some for his sister. It was heartbreaking.

A girl gave some pasta to a woman and she said she couldn't cook it because she couldn't read. So we stayed and showed her how to boil pasta and heat up sauce. I'm crying just typing this

But this type of thing is needed more than you know
                          ??????
                          ??

Comment

• It is something I shall consider, MrMr.

It is heartbreaking seeing the poverty people go through in their lives. Not because they're stupid or lazy, but because they don't get the education and encouragement at school. Plus, people with disabilities also need support and help. Not just with their education but also their adult lives. However, I realize this thread is not about disabilities, as such.

Anyhow, I do actually work at a charity. I like to give back to the world by doing this. Again, I will consider your suggestion, MrMr.

Oh: and Merry Christmas!

Comment

It is something I shall consider, MrMr.

It is heartbreaking seeing the poverty people go through in their lives. Not because they're stupid or lazy, but because they don't get the education and encouragement at school. Plus, people with disabilities also need support and help. Not just with their education but also their adult lives. However, I realize this thread is not about disabilities, as such.

Anyhow, I do actually work at a charity. I like to give back to the world by doing this. Again, I will consider your suggestion, MrMr.

Oh: and Merry Christmas!
                              You are a wonderful person. Im sure no matter what you put your mind to will benefit others. Merry Christmas to you too xx

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X