What is your ideal home?

Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your ideal home?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• What is your ideal home?

The home is not just a building. It is an atmosphere, a place you are always eager to be. A home is a place where a family lives. The first home on earth was a garden. This gives two impressions of a home: 1. A place to enjoy––beautiful, peaceful, welcoming. 2. A place to tend and make beautiful. The most important element of the home, however, is not the building (how large or how beautiful it is), but the relationship existing between the people within.

What constitutes your ideal home?

• My Ideal Home.

Large Willow tree in the front yard with a swing hanging from the highest branch. Kids toys scattered through the grass days past needing cut. Front porch, swing, worn cushion with a kitten sleeping soundly.

Inside, large open rooms all flowing into each other. Mismatched furniture, stained couch. Faint sent of playdough and crayons. Not messy, but lived in by an active young family.

Father, mother, children all in the back yard playing in the sprinkler.

Comment

• I absolutely love your answer notlikethenormal. The only thing I'd change would be dog for cat. I would also love to live near or on water and/or somewhere "Tree-full." A place where the air is clean enough to see stars at night and a neighborhood "safe" enough where neighbors can become like chosen family.

Great question, episkopos!

Comment

• Beautiful episkopos.

It is all that and in that, the love makes it a home and the ideas flow. In all it's glory of gardens and fruit, of animals that you enter into it and birds that sing, other insects that walk past you as they feel at home...
        PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• When I dream of building my own home someday, I dream of somewhere beautiful and full of nature, out in a wooded private area. Close to conveniences of town but far enough to have privacy. Beautiful landscaping, beautiful lush gardens, a porch swing I can sit on and listen to nature's sounds. I'd love to have an "outdoor living room" area (a glorified patio) with a hearth and comfortable places to sit for visitors. Part of the yard fenced in for doggy...to keep her safe. Inside, a welcoming comforting scent as you walk through the front door that says "You are home." There are SO many things I want in a forever home. It's hard to even know where to start.
          "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I am going to have to admit that money defines my ideal home and that I am a city girl so it is the high end suburbs for me and not a country location in the middle of the woods. I want the nice furnishing, the granite counter tops, the nicely done exterior with quality stone work, must have dark hardwoods in the house, a games room in the basement big enough to have a pool table and big lounge area, beautiful landscaping complete with a nice bbq area for the future husband, preferably I would want a big house with a walk-out basement so that you can have the huge covered patio complete with couches and fireplace for all the backyard gatherings. There is a lot of things I do want in my ideal home but I do not want a mansion lol just one that is in the high end areas that is still suitable for family life. Even though my bf (and probably future husband) does not like dogs I will have to say that I want a dog in my ideal home, a big one like a German Shepard or Black Lab. Something I have also always wanted was a garden, not a big one but more one for a few carrots and herbs. I just want to have that space in the backyard to say "I grow my own herbs" or whatever. That would be nice.

Another must is for me to decorate for the seasons. I know it is a bit different to say that but honestly when I go into someone's house no matter the size or furnishings or whatever if it has that "feel" of being a homey decorated home then I love it. That effect is huge at Christmas, you walk in and see the tree and some snowmen figures in the house, the wall decorations, the smell of cinnamon or evergreen candles...that is the ideal home I want, the inviting decorated home...that feeling you get in a home.
            There are those who believe that dictionaries should not merely reflect the times but also protect English from the mindless assaults of the trendy.

Comment

• Let's see.... Two story house, four bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. A big picture window in the livingroom to put up our Christmas tree even though we don't celebrate Christmas really. A wrap around porch, and a huge back and front yard so I can do my full moon rituals. And I want to have grandkids running around, and at least 2 dogs. The kitchen will have the black and white checkered floor, and every room in the house will be hardwood (except the kitchen). And it would be on the end of a forest so my grandkids can grow up playing in the woods like I did as a kid, and one of the grandkids will have a hamster. We'll have a two car garage detached from the house. And there will be a field next to the house that has a small barn for a couple of horses. Oh and it'll be in Georgia. And I cannot forget the ATV's! There have to be 4-wheelers. There will be a big tree with a tire swing (or a wooden swing connected) and there will be a big porch swing on the porch where me and my husband will sip sweet tea and watch our grandkids plays. I say grandkids because we're a military family so when our kids are growing up we'll be moving around a lot. So this is for when we're retired.

Me: 24 (25 in Nov) DH: 27 (28 in Jan)
              MC 1: Found out Mar 1, 2011. Ended Mar 6, 2011.
              MC 2: Found out Mar 24, 2012. Ended Mar 26, 2012.

Comment

• One that is full of love and laughter.

Comment

• Originally posted by episkopos View Post
                  The home is not just a building. It is an atmosphere, a place you are always eager to be. A home is a place where a family lives. The first home on earth was a garden. This gives two impressions of a home: 1. A place to enjoy––beautiful, peaceful, welcoming. 2. A place to tend and make beautiful. The most important element of the home, however, is not the building (how large or how beautiful it is), but the relationship existing between the people within.

What constitutes your ideal home?

Have you heard the song composed by Burt Bacharach, The House is not a Home. It is a nice song, "And a house is not a home. When there's no one there to hold you tight, And no one there you can kiss good night." but of course if it is from Bacharach it must be a good old love song. One time I sang this song to one of "our free time day" in school. Well I am not shy to sing regardless of how i sound" Maybe I sang it so well, when one "naughty" student begun crying... at first just tears then as I continue singing, he started to cry and cry and cry. I was struck, I thought it was his "naughty" move, (he is a boy that can really make our hair turned gray, grrrrr!) but then I continued my singing because my other students were listening. He did not stop, until he really burst into tears. After I sang the song, I approached him, and gently touched his back. He looked at me still in tears. noooo he was not playing on me. he was not doing one of his pranks. he was really crying. I gave him my tissue box and he started composing himself again, then after that, he has been quiet for the entire "our day period"... what have i done, as i kept on looking at him from time to time to check what he was doing. Then the period was over, he returned my tissue box. (opsies this time he threw all the tissues he had used in the trash can), Apologized. Again I was struck by this act. and asked him. why was he crying. He told me that, his parents just separated and the children were divided. Older children goes with father, and younger with mother. He is staying with his mother, but their big house now so quiet no more fighting from other siblings, no jokes no running around the house. We understood finally his behavior it was from he witness at home, fighting parents and finally separation. that's why he was touched with the lines of the song. Whew... now we understood him, he still pranks but we are more accommodating and understanding with him.

Comment

• My ideal home is built into the side of a green hill, overlooking a little valley with a stream. Wild woods border the hilly property dotted with goats, dogs and chickens. The house is circular, centered around a stone hearth with a second floor loft. The wall facing the valley is covered with reclaimed windows where herbs grow from little pots, and hang in drying bushels. The bookshelves are built into the walls and stretch to the ceiling, and there are futons and a big fluffy rug by the fireside. There is no need for electricity or gas, the vegetables are grown in the garden terrace, and at night you can see the fabric of the stars. :-)

Comment

• Land. Lots of it. Then I can have the livestock I want, the gardens I want, and the at least partially heated buildings for the rabbits and exotic animals I breed. 4 dogs is probably enough and that's what I already have planned for this house. All wood and stone floors. Absolutely no kids. Never. Not happening. I'm not living with anyone's parents either. I have a husband and I could handle one of my sisters or my friend living with me but that's it.

Comment

• Not only should your home be a happy place but a lovable place to live, that you can call yours. But the family you live with is the most important. So if you have love and peace within your house hold you having a happy life and enjoyable one at the same time.

( Love done right can change the world. )
                        When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• Well that sound like a nice home to live Susan. I think most people would want the same thing in there home as well.
                          When out driving always turn left. Then, should you become lost, you can find your way home by reversing the procedure and always turning right.

Comment

• I'd have a home styled by Emily Schuman of "Cashmere and Cupcakes" fame. I love a cosy, happy, safe home where the walls are white and the carpet comfy, where a cat and dog would live. I'd have visitors and I would cook dinner for them and serve dessert. Stepping into my home would be like stepping into paradise. I'd like to be near trees and have a garden shed where I'd sit and read or listen to the radio. There'd be a pond with little fishes in. I'd have a few chickens, too. Dreams can come true.

Comment

• I like we have sidewalks in our neighborhood and a front porch where we can sit. However, we miss neighbors that have moved away. The neighborhood has changed a lot. Neighbors that were good friends are gone and don't feel that connection with newer neighbors. Why do things have to change.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X