Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No more family

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• No more family

With much consideration I decided to open up to my family about my sexual orientation.
    I'm bi- sexual. I guess my family can't handle it, they disowned me.

• Does "family" mean "parents?" Is it cultural? Religious? Both? Was it just out of the blue? Like your family was close and your relationship with them was great, now it's over? Or were things already on shaky ground and this was just the last straw? Is everyone in your family on the same page or do you still have someone that hasn't given up on you?

I wouldn't disown a family member for that, but as someone with "traditional" values I do understand how that kind of announcement could cause an upset or could distance people from certain cultures and religions. I've seen situations where the family never accepts the sexuality, but they do have a measure of restoration of the relationship once the initial shock is passed.
    "Those sowing seed with tears
    Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

• I'm sorry to hear that it didn't go as smoothly as you'd hope for. You must have had some idea beforehand that it wasn't OK for them, which is why you hadn't told them before.

Is it for religious reasons? Cultural?

Give them some time. They may come around once the shock has worn off. In the meantime, stay positive and determine to keep your own heart open to their questions and eventually acceptance.

Thinking of you dear. I'm sorry that it has to be stressful, and hope it's only temporary.

Comment

• Originally posted by ClaireKay View Post
        With much consideration I decided to open up to my family about my sexual orientation.
        I'm bi- sexual. I guess my family can't handle it, they disowned me.
        I'm sorry. That's very sad.
        I am also bi and thankfully my family is very open to it.
        They have even set me up with women they know.

I hope things get better between you and your family.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
        X