• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mr Clean commercial: Cleaning is sexy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stillness It's not about a stopwatch. As adults, we should know better. If I cooked dinner, I don't think I should be cleaning up the kitchen while husband sits on couch watching TV. That just creates resentment. There are always exceptions, but in general, if spouse is scrubbing the toilet, you don't get to play video games. Taking a break after doing something exhausting is fine, but 45 minutes of snow shoveling doesn't entitle a person to not do any more housework while the other spouse is slaving away the rest of the day. It's a partnership and we need to work together. Sometimes, one person gives more than the other, but overall, it should balance out.

Also, just because it's labor intensive, doesn't mean it counts for more. I would rather shovel snow than clean the toilet any day.
    Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose - Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster (sung by Janis Joplin)

Comment

Originally posted by DreamP346 View Post
      Stillness
      Also, just because it's labor intensive, doesn't mean it counts for more. I would rather shovel snow than clean the toilet any day.
      me, too

Comment

deleted

Comment

Stillness That just creates resentment.
          Have heard others say that, too.

Comment

if spouse is scrubbing the toilet, you don't get to play video games
            I do. So does my wife.

If she sleeps in while I'm up cleaning or comes home and eats the food I made, watches TV and goes to bed, I have no problem with that. The house needs to be cleaned and we need to eat regardless of who does the work.
            "Those sowing seed with tears
            Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

One year my hubs asked what gift I'd like for my bday. I told him I'd like the details finished on the hardwood floor we'd installed together quite awhile before.
              I was serious.
              I took great pride in our home, and diy jobs we'd tackled together were precious memories for me. I wanted the last few base boards done. To leave a major job incomplete, was an eye sore, embarrassing and just annoying. We entertained quite a bit, and I loved creating a beautiful home....then there was this.

It is about communication, and consideration for what your partner's needs and wants are. This was less than a few hours work. We could've paid someone to do it easily...he just wouldn't, and wouldn't approve of my hiring without his say so in it.

I think I've mentioned this before. it still hurts. I still can feel the raw emotions of my feelings and enjoyment being completely ignored and disregarded. He knew the joy I found in home making and improving everything. I felt it was a passive aggressive attack on the thing I took most pride in, besides my job.

He asked what I wanted, then ignored my request, after saying repeatedly he will do it soon. He'd say we can do anything, go anywhere ya want.
              I said I want to enjoy every day by not staring at this unfinished floor.

Acknowledgement of desires, even if it's saying no to them, is better than showing indifference to us, which is how it often seems with Dreams hub.

I think some men just mentally "check out" with household responsibility. They just never get it.

Comment

When one's expectations are not met, it seems that is the toughest to take. Dream has expectations re chores and kitty had expectations re gifts.

Sometimes we get our expectations met, but often we don't. Sometimes we do, but not in the time we expected or the way we expected.

Comment

atskitty2 Yeah, I think I've done the checking out thing a few times.

A couple of times I was late with taxes, which drives my wife up a wall. One time she held me by my shoulders and stared into my eyes to command my attention and asked me when I would have my stuff done. We're both pretty easy-going and she's especially non-confrontational, so it worked.

We've never been separated, but I think we might have come close over a decade ago. She bought this cool dishwasher, so I removed the sink, but didn't install the new one for a while. If you wanted to wash any dishes or get water at all, you had to go to the bathroom sink or the tub. She told me that she considered going to a motel or renting an apartment to stay until I fixed it.

It hurt my feelings that she was going to leave over that. But, it hurt her feelings that I couldn't get how much she wanted her kitchen returned to normalcy. There were other major issues I had with intimacy then too. We weren't clicking on a few levels.

I know that I'm still not as responsive, but I try much more. There's no such thing as perfect, but I always say that as long as we're working on doing better, we'll keep it alive.
                  "Those sowing seed with tears
                  Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

What really sealed the hurtfulness of the whole ordeal with my hubs was how he told me all he'd done to the house after i had moved out. lol.
                    He even sent pix!

Once I'd started counseling, i think i even asked him once if he had been withholding such attention and ignoring my words because of any things I'd done to make him upset with me. He denied, professing his adoring love for me. lol

I think the belief that our SO does something with intent to hurt us is based in evidence many times. Other times, it's feelings that snowball into resentment and bitterness.

We all need to be attentive. I believe in a loving relationship, being the one who gives first is the key to making happiness and promoting giving from the other side.

Comment

I'm not married and am single, so I do all the cleaning in my apartment. Scrubbing the kitchen and bathroom is humbling. I have to wash all the laundry and all the dishes myself. If I had a husband who would assist, it would be wonderful. I hate dirt, mess and clutter and my husband would have to be the same. A marriage is a partnership. A house has to be cleaned and if two people work together, it makes keeping the home clean so much easier.

Comment

Working...
                      X