Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 9 year old is afraid to eat

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• My 9 year old is afraid to eat

About a week and a half ago, my 9 year old daughter choked on a green bean while eating dinner.I had to give her the heimlich maneuver. Now she's afraid to eat and it's driving me crazy! It has become such an ordeal. She's a picky eater to begin with, and we were just getting to a point where dinner time was fine...not a struggle. Now we're back to square one...and worse!! Any advice or suggestions? Thanks!

• hi harlow. my little sister went through something very similar. the circumstances were a little different. two years ago, when she was 11, she got a stomach bug and vomited once. ONCE!! after that, she refused to eat. she was so afraid of vomiting again, that she did not want to eat anything. she was down to only eating a baked potato and milk a day. she lost 20 pounds and was a nervous wreck. my mom finally called a counselor and she began therapy. she was diagnosed with OCD, and they began working on her problems. she is now very happy and healthy and eats like a pig. she gained all her weight back plus some. when she was going through her problem, she at least drank some carnation instant breakfast for nutrition. i would suggest trying to get your daughter to start drinking her nutrition, because you can't choke on liquids. or try giving her very small pieces of food, and tell her to eat slowly until she gets confident enough to eat again. if the problem persists, maybe she should talk to a counselor.

Comment

• Thanks for the reply. It has been about 3 weeks now, and she's eating some things, but is still not up to where she used to be. I don't think she's getting enough nutrition, so the carnation instant breakfast is a good idea. Hopefully she'll go for it. I've been wondering if I should bring her to a counselor, but wanted to wait and see how long this might last. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, because it just increases the issue. She has said she's still a "little bit scared to eat".

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
      • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      Working...
      X