Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Binky Problems...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Binky Problems...

Alright all you mothers out there, I have a problem. My daughter is two and a half. Since she was about a minute old she has sucked her thumb. For the most part she wanted NOTHING to do with a binky. She would just spit it out and go back to her thumb. The other day while doing my spring cleaning, in her bathroom she found in a pile of toss outs one of her old binky's. She sucked on it the rest of the day. I thought it was kind of cute, thinking it would be just a one time deal. OH NO! She has asked for that thing every nap time and bed time. I've tried coaxing that she's a big girl, and only babies take binky's. I've tried telling her we need to find another baby to give it to. NOTHING works! How do I get her to stop sucking on it, and get over this phase?

• I take it a binky is a passifier? Neither of my kids ever used one. I figured a thumb was always there and what the heck. Why are you wanting her stop? Is it damaging her teeth?
    She'll stop needing to suck at some point, it is comforting. I don't remember when my kiddos stopped, I nursed them both well past 3 years and somewhere along the line they just didn't need to suckle anymore.
    I wouldn't stress about it.

Comment

• My son used one from the time he was born. When he was about a year and a half I thought he was old enough to give it up, and I got tired of purchasing new ones to replace the lost ones... so... I told my son (when he was down to the last binky) that this was the very last one and we had to take really good care of it because we couldn't get anymore. He decided to only use it at nap and bed time. When I would get him out of his crib he would put his binky in the "special spot" so it would be there when he was ready to go to sleep. Then... a friend of ours had a baby and when we went to visit the baby was crying (he didn't take a binky) and my son asked where his binky was, and I told him he doesn't have one... when we got home and it was nap time my son handed me his binky and told me to give it to the crying baby and that was it. Wish I had helpful advice but my son kinda broke himself of it..... try setting limitations on it to wean her off of it somewhat maybe.

Comment

• When she sucks on it she says her teeth hurt. I just am at a loss as to how to handle it. She cries and cries without it. Most of the time when I check on her during bed time or nap time she's sucking her thumb and is just holding the binky. I know for the most part it is harmless, but I just feel that she should be out of that phase. Thanks for the advise ladies.

Comment

• Kids develop at their own pace, not based on our conception of what they "should" being doing at a certain age. Often times focusing on something just draws attention to and creates a contest of wills. Does she have any other security items like a special stuffed animal?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
          • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

Today, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
          • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
          Working...
          X