Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Hostess with the Mostest

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• The Hostess with the Mostest

So last week I was asked to HOST a baby shower... yes, HOST.

I remember a while back I posted about attending one and the best gift ideas.. but now I'm planning the whole sheebang!! I of course told Mom-To-Be I would be honored, and I am... This is going to be my Godchild, so I'm thinking I need to make this the most KICK-BOOTY shower of all time - for everyone!

This is going to be a big one! Mom-to-Be only WANTS one shower. We've got two very large families and lots of friends coming, probably upwards of 80-100 invites are getting sent out. Mom and Dad are choosing to keep the gender a surprise on his or her birthday, so the party will be gender neutral

All the showers I have been to are the same old.. they're nice, they're cute, but they're sort of "blah" - guess how many candies are in the bottle, baby-food taste test, eat some finger foods and cake, watch mom open gifts and play bingor, then peace out... **yawnnn**

So now I need ideas from some of the most creative gals (and guys too) I know.. ie YOU. Ideas for decorating, activities, keepsakes, favors, food - would all be quite welcome! I've started a binder already with ideas, tips, tricks, checklists, etc... but I thought there may be some great minds out there who can give me ideas I would never have thought up or come across otherwise! I want something new and unique, fun, sentimental. Not the same old

Have you ever been to a baby shower that was a big "WOW" - what was so awesome about it?

Have you played any games that were fun and unique, kept you interested? Anything that was fun and exciting to be a part of?

Did you do any sentimental acitivities? I thought about each guest writing a special note to baby on a fabric square to make a quilt, but I can't sew nearly well enough...

Did you ever host a baby shower? And do you have any advice for the first timer on hosting an awesome shower?

(If you can't tell I'm pretty darn excited for Mom and Dad and Baby!!!)

• I think the toilet paper game is kinda fun each person takes as many squares of toilet paper off a roll as they think will go around the mom's stomach. Other people might think this is blah, though.
    I have never been to a really "wow" baby shower. Mine was just a few friends, and the joy in it was that I hadn't seen them in quite a while (some of them, not in years!)
    <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Aww that is a cute idea Little! I did that once with yarn around the Mom's belly. It was cute, but the one I went to the Mom was a bit, ehem... "hormonal" and got upset when most of the strings were much larger than she was... like we were all calling her tubby or something! That was interesting...

And you kind of gave me an idea... I know of a few friends and family of hers that have moved away (and could get in contact with them through the guest of honor's mother). It would be quite the surprise if they miraculously appeared at her shower after not seeing each other in years!

Problem with that is keeping that stuff quiet... seems everyone in that family has a bit of a BIG mouth lol
      Last edited by KMonte85; 07-20-2011, 03:12 PM. Reason: finishing a thought

Comment

• I like baby showers that are more about nice colors and pretty flowers and less about baby decor, especially if it's gender neutral. Ya know, something soft and classy. But then fun it up a bit with something like the toilet paper game, or the dirty diaper game (you take like 5 cheapo diapers and melt different types of candy in each one i.e. one with reeses, one with butterfinger, etc etc and have the attendees sniff the diapers and guess what's in each one.) That's always one that makes people laugh a bit.

So I'm thinking something like, see if you can borrow some nice white tablecloths, then fresh cut flowers tied with a pale green ribbon on some tables, small glass hurricanes (vases) on the other tables filled with water, some glass beads, and a floating t-candle.

You could also think about either doing a display of scrolling baby and kid pics of the mother and father to be. If you don't have the technology available, you could do a collage.

One more thing you could do is get some sort of really cute photo album (you could even personalize it up a bit) and instead of putting pics in it, pass around card stock and have each attendee either a. write a note to the baby or b. write down their best advice for the parents to be. Then at the end, put them all in the album to give to her.

I think you can end up spending alot more on a baby this baby that, baby decor, baby everything type of shower than if you just go for something elegant.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• I've seen where everyone has to attend with an outfit made out of toilet paper Think long white Tank top, a bit of glue, that would be funny
          PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• Googling

Have each women guess what features she wants most on the baby from either her or her husband (Daddy-To-Be). An example of this idea is found below:

Attribute Mommy Daddy
            Eyes X
            Ears X
            Nose X
            Legs X
            Hair X
            Smile X
            Intelligence X
            Humor X
            Other X

Another one of our favorite baby shower games is the baby shower version of Pin The Tail on the Donkey. Blindfold each participant and then give them a paper baby to then approach the mom and place the baby as close to the tummy as possible. The one who gets closest to placing the paper baby on the pregnant tummy wins.

Prior to opening the baby shower gifts, number each gift on the box starting with one. If you know that 15 people will be attending your shower, pre-print bingo cards with numbers 1 through 15 and randomly place them on 15 cards. When the mommy-to-be's decides to open the presents, she grabs the present she wants to open and reads the number out loud. As soon as someone receives bingo, they win the baby shower game and the baby shower prize.

Have each woman pull the yarn to the size they believe would fit perfectly around the Mother-To-Be's center of her pregnant tummy. After everyone cuts their string, compare the results to the Mommy-To-Be's actual tummy. Give a prize to the woman who is the most close! This is a baby shower favorite.

Ask each guest to bring a favorite book. Guests can talk about their memories of their favorite baby books. Mommy-to-be will receive a wonderful assortment of books to start baby's library.

Have all the guests at the baby shower wear a hat and call it the Mad Hatter Baby Shower Tea party! You are sure to get some laughs at how the baby shower guests come in some funny hats. Make sure to take lots of pictures as it will be a memorable party! Tell everyone they have to keep their hat on for the entire party or make a donation to the new baby!

Diapers filled with dinner mints or your favorite finger foods (for serving shower guests)
            Items needed are pink or blue small baby shower napkins --1 bag small(est) safety pins(gold)-- bags of pastel colored mints or your favorite candy/food.

Cheese and Crackers - Serve a variety of crackers along with two or more cheeses.
            Chicken (Teriyaki or Sate) - Serve on skewers with teriyaki or peanut sauce.
            Baby Shrimp - Need we say more? Serve with cocktail sauce.
            Chicken Wings - Especially popular with the men at couples showers, served with ranch dressing!
            Meat Balls - Another strong performer, especially at couples showers, make sure to serve the small variety.
            Mini Pizzas - Everyone loves pizza, so when they're small enough to pop in your mouth, they go fast.

Although the mommy-to-be cannot drink alcohol, make virgin daquaries as well as "preggnatinis" (martinis without the alcohol). This will let everyone feel like they are celebrating with adult spirits without the physical buzz. Coffee, tea, punch and soda are all great baby shower beverages. If the mommy-to-be doesn't mind, you may also serve wine or other alcoholic drinks. Make sure to have cream, sugar and both the pink and blue sweeteners for the coffee drinkers. You can brew a pot of tea, but hot water and an assortment of tea bags is a nice touch. If you're serving soda, make sure to have regular and diet choices. As far as the punch, there are so many recipes. You can go with a more traditional fruit punch or serve pink lemonade, raspberry-lemonade, or mint julep

A neat thing that you can do for glasses that the baby shower guests will drink from is to use baby bottles as glasses. Take out the nipples of the bottles and put fun colorful straws and fun cocktail umbrellas . It would be great to give the bottles with their tops to the mommy to be after the baby shower so she can use them.

Create a cake in the shape of a mommy-to-be belly and decorate the cake like a dress that the mommy-to-be would wear! Surround the cake with cupcakes for your baby shower guests.

Pin The Sperm on the Egg. Just like the old fashion game of pin the tail on the donkey, this new and exciting version will thrill your friends and family at your next baby shower!

Comment

• Thanks BD for the decorating tips... as I'm looking around, I'm noticing too that all the "baby shower" decorations are MUCH more expensive than just picking a few neutral colors and decorating with craft supplies. I know the parents are thinking of doing their nursery in a "rubber duck" theme. With that in mind, I'm thinking I may be able to use the fail-safe "yellow" theme, maybe the hurricane glasses you suggested (which sound LOVELY) but instead of a floating candle, a floating rubber ducky? That might be cute without being TOO cutesy!

CW thank you for the game suggestions! I have never heard of some of those which is exactly what I'm looking for - something new! Pin the sperm on the egg sounds like it could be a lot of fun! And a bit cheeky

Comment

• Ohhh the rubber ducky idea in place of the candles is an excellent idea!!! You can buy a bag of the small duckies for pretty cheap!
                "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
                  Ohhh the rubber ducky idea in place of the candles is an excellent idea!!! You can buy a bag of the small duckies for pretty cheap!
                  Amazon, baby! 2 dozen rubber ducks for $5! Can't go wrong

Comment

• Think quality over quantity every place that you can. ie: Who you invite should be a select group of people that all have meaning to mom and not everyone she works with, etc. People she hasn't seen for a while, friends that have moved away but are still within driving distance. A favorite aunt, cousins, teacher, etc.

Quality finger foods. No need to be "Betty Extravagant" and roll out a big meal. Everybody is watching their weight these days, so keep things small (a bite or two) and offer a variety.

Based on the number of these I have been involved in, and you'd be surprised how many, most people I have found are more into simple socialization with good food, friends and gifts then the "traditional" shower type of games.

Many ideas with lots of proven recipes too. Contact me if you're interested.

Don't allow yourself to get stressed about it whatever you decide to do. A happy hostess makes for a happy party and a happier guest of honor.

Comment

• Thank you Seeker! And yes, I would love any and all recipes you would be willing to share! Feel free to either PM them to me, ORRRR you could always post them in the recipes section me and anyone else looking for similar treats!

Definitely no stress here - I am such a planner.. I LIVE for this stuff! I just love getting new, fresh ideas! We're such a tight knit community in my neck of the woods, I feel like whenever anyone has a baby, it is the same people at the same party, doing the same games/activities, eating the same cake from the same place that everyone else orders it from...

... b-o-r-i-n-g

I want my BFF's shower to be something unique and fun for everyone! And I thought the wonderful, creative, diverse group here at WH would be just the place to get some tips

Comment

• Pin the sperm on the egg sounds like it could be a lot of fun! And a bit cheeky
                        That was mean't to be up the top, I cracked up laughing when I read that one, somehow amongst my cut/paste, cut/paste lol's it got lost until the end, but ya saw it

Comment

• Per your request, I created a new thread under recipes titled Finger Foods...

I tried to include "something for everyone". Sorry, no "pigs in a blanket" or "minature smokey sausages".

I would encourage you to go outside of your comfort zone and create some of the "more unusual" items. Time after time, they are the biggest hit! If nothing else, your guests will walk away and say "Wow! Her party foods were different".

Anything else I can do? Just let me know...

Hugs!

Comment

• Thank you for sharing Seeker! I posted on your thread, but I'll tell you here too that I've got your finger food recipes printed off and in my "baby shower" binder, ready to go! I'm going to make them up and do a taste test at home too before the shower. It's a tough job, but I'll do anything for my best bud

So here's an idea that just came across and I think is kinda fun , please tell me if you think this is corny... I thought about doing a non-alcoholic punch as sort of the "signature drink." I don't want to get too "baby showery" with the decor, but I though since I'm doing a small reflection on the nursery theme (rubber ducks) I would make the punch around that.

Instead of a normal punchbowl, I will get a baby basin and fill it full of punch (some "blue" or berry flavored punch to give it that "water" look) and float rubber ducks and frozen teething rings in it (prewashed, of course). Kind of a homage to the baby, and then I can wash the basin and rings and give them to Mom to use when baby makes his or her arrival.

Too cutesy? Or just the right amount of cutesy?

Comment

• Just the right amount of cutesy I read also where they are drinking from a baby bottle with a straw Then the Mother gets all the baby bottles...

no "pigs in a blanket" or "minature smokey sausages".
                              Man I get why no minature, but why no smokey sausages? After all that's what started all of this giggle

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

Today, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

Today, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

Today, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

Today, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              • Do You Play The Postcode Lottery?

I do! Although I have not won anything yet. Still, it is worth the chance of winning some money.

What about you? What are your reasons for...

Today, 02:53 AM By Popcorn&Candy
                              Working...
                              X