Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Trigger Warning] Gay Babysitter ...

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• [Trigger Warning] Gay Babysitter ...

Hello,

If you have or will have children, would you allow a gay man to babysit your kids? And, more importantly, why/why not?

Asked by someone and I wanted to get a variety of answers.

Thanks.

• Is this a serious question? I don't see how it matters? I think when choosing a babysitter, there is a mound of more valid questions to be asking. Such as, is he good with kids, does he have a criminal history, is he responsible, will he be available when I need him. Etc.

Comment

• I have a problem with people being labled.

I would not allow any one to babysit unless 1) they had police clearance so I know my baby is safe, 2 ) they are a family friend or 3) I know them well enough..

That's all I would be interested in, not their sex, or colour or nationality...
      PUT A LITTLE 'LIKE' IN MY SOUL!

Comment

• I think the question would be similar to asking if you had a girl child, would you allow a male to babysit her? Or if you have a boy child, would you allow a female to babysit him? Sexuality even being an issue in choosing a babysitter implies that if you are attracted to a certain gender, you are also a pedophile and will be attracted to kids and babies of that gender as well. It also goes back to a very narrowminded belief that homosexuality is some sort of sick perversion.

My response to whomever asked you would be, "So you're heterosexual and attracted to men, right? Does that mean parents should hide their little boys from you because you're going to be sexually attracted to them? Afterall, they are males and you're attracted to males." Then when she gives you the "Well that's different.." response, ask her "how?".

I would run a criminal background check. I would check references. I would get his email address and do a bit of searching on my own probably. I would thoroughly check him out, just as I would check out anyone who I'd be trusting with my child.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

• Just because someone is gay doesn't make them any less capable of taking care of a child.
          There is a method to my madness ........ I just haven't found it yet.

Comment

• We don't really do "trigger warnings" on this forum. Everyone is welcome to discuss any thread in a mature way. If anybody responds in a volatile or inflammatory way, please report the thread.

I don't personally care what gender or sexuality a babysitter may be. Everybody will get the same scrutiny and mistrust. I don't care if they're blood family members. I don't care if the babysitter is my mother, father, sister. I will never fully trust them with my son.

If I specifically think of two gay men I know with whom I am very close - best friend status - versus two of my non-parent best (straight) female friends, I imagine that I would have the same level of scrutiny concerning their care of my son.

Remember that family and friends of the family are more likely to abuse children. They have your trust, your confidence, and your children pick up on that. Don't assume that a woman would not abuse children, and do not assume that a straight man would not abuse a little boy (or a gay man would not abuse a little girl.)

Don't even assume that your children won't abuse each other. A member of my family was abused by his half-brother. This molester had a history of incest against his sisters - but nobody assumed that he'd do it to a boy until it was too late.
            <center><i>Nature gives us shapeless shapes,<br>Clouds and waves and flame,<br>But human expectation is that love remains the same,<br>And when it doesn’t, we point our fingers and blame.</i><br><a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/register.php">Register</a>|<a href="http://www.womens-health.com/boards/members/little.html">Contact Admin</a>|<a href="mailto:support*womens-health.com?subject=Forum Contact">Email Admin</a></center>

Comment

• Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
              I think the question would be similar to asking if you had a girl child, would you allow a male to babysit her? Or if you have a boy child, would you allow a female to babysit him? Sexuality even being an issue in choosing a babysitter implies that if you are attracted to a certain gender, you are also a pedophile and will be attracted to kids and babies of that gender as well. It also goes back to a very narrowminded belief that homosexuality is some sort of sick perversion.

My response to whomever asked you would be, "So you're heterosexual and attracted to men, right? Does that mean parents should hide their little boys from you because you're going to be sexually attracted to them? Afterall, they are males and you're attracted to males." Then when she gives you the "Well that's different.." response, ask her "how?".

I would run a criminal background check. I would check references. I would get his email address and do a bit of searching on my own probably. I would thoroughly check him out, just as I would check out anyone who I'd be trusting with my child.
              Thank you so much. Excellent response.

As for myself, I wasn't sure of my own answer, hence this post.

Comment

• I'm still trying to figure out what sexual orientation has to do with the likely hood of someone molesting a child, or the capability of them to watch a child.

Comment

• I don't see how someone can be attractive to the same sex or not make them unable to babysit any child. I would just do a background check to see of he/she does not have any past criminal activity and have references that are beyond awesome then I see no problem.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X