Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my son

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• my son

my 10 year old dont want to listen to me at all..he has alot of anger inside of him because his father emotionally abused him and seen me being abused..hes getting therapy but how can i make him stop being mean to me and his little brother?

• Have you ever watched the tv shows "Nanny 911" or "Super Nanny"? They are absolutely fantastic shows about real life families in crisis like this where the children are out of control and the parents don't know what to do. They send in professional counselors to help them get things sorted out. I would suggest trying to watch some of those shows. You will learn a lot from them.

The answer to your question is nothing short and sweet. It really depends on A LOT of things. I think that the most important factor in regaining control of your children is learning proper communication. I do not know how things go in your household, but here are some tips...

Screaming and yelling is a terrible way to communicate. You must try to maintain composure when dealing with an unruly child because children learn by example. Try to get on their level and talk calmly and clearly, but in an ascertive tone.

Also, there must be consequences for bad behavior and you have to stick with them. Do not allow yourself to be sucked into negotiations either. Children are really good at that. Children need to have discipline. Make them sit in a time out area for a designated time and tell them that they cannot leave that area until they give you a heartfelt apology. Make sure they know why they are there too.

You can also take things away as a punishment. Such as games, tv, play time, etc.

It is also a known fact that children who are actively participating in mentally stimulating projects are much calmer and content. Children need your love and affection and some times the best way to do that is to do special things with them. Some ideas are to take them to the park and play with them, take them to the zoo, do art projects together, show interest in some things they are into, etc. A lot of parents have a tendency to leave their children to their own devices (creativity) and expect them to be self-sustaining. Make your child a 24/7 part of your life by having him help you cook meals, help you do laundry, help with yard work, etc. The key is that you do it together rather then make him do it alone.

One thing that I saw on those shows that seemed to help a lot, was that they had the child start either a diary or a little suggestion box. It gave the child an opportunity to express his feelings towards the parents in a non-confrontational manner. I was suprised that the children seemed to really like it. The important thing though, is that you do not have any harsh or angry responses to what the child is saying or they won't use it anymore. This will open a line of communication which is really what you need. It's also important that you read them on a regular basis so the child takes it seriously and knows that you are really interested in their feelings.

Just remember, anger begets anger! Winning back your childs respect and communication is no easy or fast process and takes a lot of hard work and tears. You must be strong, enforce your rules with no hesitation or variations, and take an active role in your child's activities.

There is a lot more to this situation, but I would be writing a novel. I hope this helps!

Comment

• ty

i will try some of those techniques ive tried everything and hes so angry for what his father has done..

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

• Have You Ever Done Any Online Dating? - Let's Discuss!

If you've ever done any online dating, you know there are many things that can go wrong. But for some, online dating leads to finding a soulmate. ...

09-17-2019, 11:04 AM By Chrissy M.
      • Do You Volunteer?

I have done so for many years.

I work at a charity and have been there for over 10 years. I must admit, I love the work. Admittedly, I don't...

09-17-2019, 03:15 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Do You Pluck Your Eyebrows?

I certainly do.

I like the thinner brow look. I have beautiful eyes and feel my brows frame my face. I love having groomed, neat eyebrows....

09-17-2019, 03:08 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Fabulous New Boots!

I very recently bought myself a gorgeous pair of black leather boots. I spent a good 20 minutes making the decision and don't regret it!

09-17-2019, 03:02 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      • Soon To Have Therapy

I've been in a really mixed-up place lately. So I have spoken to my doctor and she is referring me for counselling. I shall also be seeing a psychologist....

09-17-2019, 02:59 AM By Popcorn&Candy
      Working...
      X