Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Age to talk with kids

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• amy40
    started a topic Age to talk with kids

Age to talk with kids

reading a few posts on this forum, has now got me wondering "at what age did you start to talk about sex with your child"

thanks for any insights

• amy40
    replied
    Originally posted by gracee View Post
    They just love to tell all parents' secrets haha!
    oh yes, kids will embarass you

hope you are doing well with your babies, gracee

Leave a comment:

• gracee
    replied
    Originally posted by amy40 View Post

have to say it's the younger of the age ranges listed (if there are other kids in neighborhood/around)

as found this summer, other kids will talk to your kid about anything and everything
    haha, you are definitely right! children adore to talk about everything. They just love to tell all parents' secrets haha! I know what I'm talking about ! From one side is looks really funny but it's not so... To my mind, each parent should to have a conversation with one in order to teach something good. A friend of mine has told once her kid is such a mess. She likes to tell everything all people around. Such a kind girl haha

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied
    Originally posted by Isabelmason View Post
    For girls, it's about 9-12 years of age to talk, and for boys, it's 10-14 years of age
    have to say it's the younger of the age ranges listed (if there are other kids in neighborhood/around)

as found this summer, other kids will talk to your kid about anything and everything

Leave a comment:

• Isabelmason
    replied
    The best age to talk with kids is the age when they know who they are its always a good time to talk with children, but there are sometimes when you need to speak with them to teach or to tell stories about life or give lessons. For girls, it's about 9-12 years of age to talk, and for boys, it's 10-14 years of age its time when their hormones are developing, and they are becoming teens from children. Talking to them about their issues give them the confidence to fight for the society and to deal with some severe circumstances. I have a so of 15 years of age, and I tell him everything about his issues, and he listens to me with real attention. And I not only warn him about the dangers, but I also say the good things which he can do with his life growing up is a part of our lives. So keep in touch in with children until they are adults they will need your assistance throughout their lives.

Leave a comment:

• gracee
    replied
    look what I found.

How to talk about it

Be calm and relaxed. It's not easy to keep from cringing when your child asks you what a "boner" is. Just do your best to speak calmly, so you can respect your child's natural curiosity without being judgmental.
    Keep it simple. Answers to questions about conception and birth can be a bit more detailed for grade-schoolers, but you probably don't need to go into detail about sexual intercourse yet. And while you don't want to sound like a doctor, you should use appropriate language ("penis" and "vagina," not "wee-wee" or "pee-pee"). It will lessen the sense that sexual topics are off-limits and embarrassing.

"How are babies made? The dad has seeds, called sperm, which are made in the testes, in that special pouch of skin hanging behind his penis. Millions of tiny sperm are made there all the time. They get mixed with a white liquid called semen.

"The mom's eggs are inside her body, in her ovaries. Every month the mom's ovaries make an egg. When grownups make a baby, semen from the father's penis carries the sperm into the mother's womb. Just one sperm joins up with the egg, and that's the start of a new baby."

Your child may or may not be satisfied with that answer. Keep answering her questions as long as she shows interest, but don't overload her with information if her next comment is, "Okay. What's for dinner?"

Leave a comment:

• Countrygirl1
    replied
    12-13

Leave a comment:

• DreamP346
    replied
    husband just told me kid asked him "did you and mom do the s word" after he said yes, kid asked him "did you take off your underwear"
    am so cracking up cause husband didn't want to have anything to do with sex ed

he is so not happy getting questions!
    That is so funny. My kids also asked that when when we had our first talk, but their reaction was more "ewww" and they never wanted to bring it up again.

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    husband just told me kid asked him "did you and mom do the s word" after he said yes, kid asked him "did you take off your underwear"

Hahaha, kids catch on quickly.

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DreamP346
    replied
    amy40 So glad it went well. I remember the first talk and how nervous I felt. Now it's just a normal conversation with our kids. Yesterday I was explaining the different between transgender and intersect and it was so natural. The more conversations you have, you start realizing how easy and necessary this conversation is.

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    One thing is for sure, children aren't stupid. Yes, they will hear about sex from their classmates and work it out. Way before 12 years old. I believe they need to be educated at about 6-7 years old. Not the very serious stuff, but basic facts about sex and emotions. They also need to be taught that it's not OK for an adult to touch them in their private parts. There have been things like that happening and a child needs to know they deserve respect in mind and body.

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied
    "It's not the stork" robie harris, found it
    says age 7 and up on back cover, so perfect for our child
    DreamP346

started book this week, read the sex page last night, then asked if any questions
    kid wanted to know more specifics than book but no questions threw me for a loop, phew

also, our child said no kids have mentioned sex so I said not to, that is parents job

it went way better than I expected with a book to read! I also said to wait until married
    we'll continue book, keep talking, plus journal writing for just us which is going well

(husband was SO happy he was out of town last night)

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    One thing is for sure, children aren't stupid. Yes, they will hear about sex from their classmates and work it out. Way before 12 years old. I believe they need to be educated at about 6-7 years old. Not the very serious stuff, but basic facts about sex and emotions. They also need to be taught that it's not OK for an adult to touch them in their private parts. There have been things like that happening and a child needs to know they deserve respect in mind and body.

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied
    "It's not the stork" robie harris, found it
    says age 7 and up on back cover, so perfect for our child

Leave a comment:

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
X