Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older parents

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• Older parents

see Madonna adopted again

• Madonna is about half a year older than me. She will be in her 70's when the child graduates high school if child is 6 or younger. Her money allows her to hire others to take care of her children. Much of her money will survive her unless she foolishly spends it. I only worry that she will not spend enough time with her children. However, in the past, parents sometimes had more than 20 children. They found a way to be with them enough to raise them. Of course, the elder ones helped with the younger ones. I suppose it could be said that you are running an orphanage if you adopt children but spend very little time with them, instead leaving the raising to the staff.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

• does any one on here with children have a will?

Comment

• if you have a will, did you ask someone to be. guardian first?
        or just list them in will?

Comment

• husband and I didn't become parents in our 20's so see us as older parents compared to parents around us

Comment

• this question bothers me more and more.
            I'm going through IVF and about to fiinish my last cycle in 2 weeks. if it's not successful I'll move to surrogacy, adoption is the last resort for us. the thing is that I'm 46 now and I'm deeply concerned of the age difference. If I'm lucky enough I would become a mother at 47 and I'll be in my 60s when my baby is adult. I was 30 when my mother died and it was bitter hard to cope with all that. I don't want to lose my child as well as to leave him/her/them alone. Maybe It's too selfish of me to act this way at my age, don't know.

Comment

• If I do decide to have children, I will be an older parent. I turn 37 years old this year, so I don't have much time left. As for Madonna: she can afford to hire people to look after her adoptive children. Other people aren't quite so lucky. Still, it is Madonna's life: not mine. Older people can make great parents, however: my mum was 32 years old when she had me. I don't see an issue with an older person having children.

Comment

• The only down side is since we are older, all 4 grandparents are, also. They are unable to tag along to the zoo, etc. So when I see grandparents taking their grandkids places, I feel our child does miss out on that. But they are all still alive and can have conversations with our child, so that is good.

Comment

• Originally posted by amy40 View Post
                  The only down side is since we are older, all 4 grandparents are, also. They are unable to tag along to the zoo, etc. So when I see grandparents taking their grandkids places, I feel our child does miss out on that. But they are all still alive and can have conversations with our child, so that is good.
                  My paternal grandmother died more than three decades before I was born. My paternal grandfather went back to eastern Europe before World War II and was never heard of after the war. My maternal grandparents would come visit and my family would visit them, but we really didn't go to places with them. I don't see a necessity of grandparents doing activities with the grandchildren, but it is nice if it happens. Children can often have too much energy for even younger grandparents or older parents.
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                  X