Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

technology and health

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• technology and health

have seen articles about how technology can cause depression, anxiety, sleep disorders
    or article on teens texting can lead to depression

is technology affecting our health and the health of our kids?

• They are good questions. Obviously, it is vital children know how to use a computer. But, that said, they also need to be educated socially. Social skills are vital and being creative is vital. There should be a balance of computing/playing/creativity and so on. Children do pick up things quickly, so I'd say technology is good is school in small doses. As for technology causing depression, anxiety and so on: I don't know. I do think spending too much time on the computer is draining and there need to be breaks throughout the day. Computers should not replace human interactions. Again, balance is the key and will reduce any harmful psychological effects of technology. I love computing and always will, but living life is also important. I choose both.

Comment

• This is a double edged sword. It used to be you'd get up from your desk, go to a meeting, discuss your issue, make a group decision, go back to your desk, type it up and have it enacted upon. Now, it seems, we bypass all of that, type it up - send it to all concerned and get our consensus that way. - Save time??? only if everyone that needs to respond does respond. Children- it used to be that we would plunk them down in front of a TV and it was a great babysitter. Now we hand them a leap pad or Ipad and the same babysitting is being done. Is it any wonder therefore, that as teenagers they are glued to their phones and tablets? They are living (at times) in a void, it is a place where the lonely can seem less lonely by counting up the number of friends they have, counting up the number of likes to their posts, counting up the number of posts they have in order to fulfill some preconceived level of acceptance. If you don't reach those numbers you could become depressed because NO ONE LIKES YOU. Those that do have IRL friends can text each other while they are sitting next to each other. Instead of whispering (which is very rude still apparently) they can talk between themselves without others knowing what is being said. Really what much has changed? Only the media used. Children used to play unsupervised outdoors more. When the streetlights come on - time to get home. Now we, as parents, have become paranoid (sometimes rightly so) because of all the weirdos out there. We try to protect our children - but maybe to their detriment. Perhaps there is a middle ground somewhere.
      That which we forget may as well never really happened.

Comment

• wondering how many kids got addicted to TV vs how many kids get addicted to gaming/their phones/other devices

Comment

• also, Claret you are right about the likes etc on FB

Comment

• have heard recently that people should turn off devices an hour or two before bedtime so as not to affect sleep

considering teens often stay up too late anyhow, wondering how many are more sleep deprived due to their devices or keep their phones close by at night, in case they get a text

Comment

• Originally posted by Popcorn&Candy View Post
              Computers should not replace human interactions.

Computers, devices, phones do seem to be replacing in person interactions for some kids and teens.

Comment

• "A large new study out this week contains some alarming data about the state of children’s mental health in the United States, finding that depression in many children appears to start as early as age 11. By the time they hit age 17, the analysis found, 13.6 percent of boys and a staggering 36.1 percent of girls have been or are depressed.

the journal Translational Psychiatry, the study was based on data compiled from in-person interviews with more than 100,000 children"

I wonder how much of this depression is related to technology?

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

• Reply to I dont trust Mother

Ok so a quick update on my post. My brother has complained to my mother that he feels my sister and I are not contacting him any more. He is complaing...

Today, 01:24 AM By secretkeeper
                • Reply to Wife no longer 'in the mood' - advice please

Hi Claret, thanks for your reply
                  Yes, her job is stressful at times and most days she tells me about the 'dramas' that happened at her work.......

Yesterday, 05:29 PM By muffin70
                • Reply to Wife no longer 'in the mood' - advice please

Hi Muffin70, just a few words here from a post menopausal woman. Just because she is still having her periods doesn't mean the hormones are all working...

Yesterday, 01:49 PM By Claret
                • Reply to AC7

Yeah, I wasn’t aware that minimally processed products made with whole foods (e.g. peanut butter, whole grain pasta) spike blood sugar more than the...

Yesterday, 12:58 AM By Stillness
                • Reply to Understanding a High heel fetish you or husband may have !

I have 2 fetishes - 1 my wife knows about and one she doesn't really know about

My main fetish is a scarf fetish and it only started a few...

05-21-2019, 09:46 PM By muffin70

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                X