• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse

Vote on the New WH Logo! We need YOUR help!

Everyone, we need YOUR help! Take a moment to cast your vote on the new WH logo! Vote Here!
See more
See less

are we overprotective?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are we overprotective?

our child had a 3 hr practice last night

we went to pick up child who was waiting in the public area instead of inside the activity room
    so apparently they let the kids roam the bldg

is this a good, safe business practice
    neither husband and I think so

we told our child last night to wait inside the room next time if dismissed early

bothers me since there have been attempted child abductions in our town of kids walking home from school
    as well as successful child abductions in our state

Comment

I'd have to agree, that's not a very good approach by this organization.

Comment

Yeah, I'd agree. If I were leaving my child at a place and trusting them in the hands of someone else, I'd want to know that those people were supervising my kid at all times.
        "Be what you're looking for."

Comment

Speaking of overprotective.........

Someone I haven't spoken to in years contacted me last night because her son (who is 23 years old....by the way) is struggling in a graduate program he's currently in. Basically, she was just saying she did not know what to do. Of course, I recommended that he, as the adult that he is, speak to the head of the grad program he's in. She responded that he is scheduled to, but she is extremely nervous about that. I suggested too that he find some buddies in his program that he can study with. She mentioned he doesn't really have any friends because he is a loner. He has never worked. He finished his bachelors (on his parents dime...which is fine) and went immediately into working on his masters (also on his parents dime). I don't understand how they think they are doing the best thing for him in this. And I find it so strange that a mother would be THAT involved in her 23 year old sons affairs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
            And I find it so strange that a mother would be THAT involved in her 23 year old sons affairs.
            BD
            there's often a special connection between moms and sons
            saw something once about moms in Italy....how they love their unmarried sons to still live with them and the moms cook for them and do their laundry even

(I'd be passing on doing laundry for a grown son...sorry no)

Comment

Originally posted by Beautiful Disaster View Post
              Someone I haven't spoken to in years contacted me last night because her son (who is 23 years old....by the way) is struggling in a graduate program he's currently in. Basically, she was just saying she did not know what to do.
              Is she afraid of suicide? What?
              I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
              Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

jns - No. Just afraid of him dropping out of the program. But my thoughts? If he doesn't want it bad enough to go for it, to push for it, maybe he shouldn't be in it. People like myself worked their hineys off to get that masters degree (The same one he's going for.), all while working full time jobs. She messaged me last night and said he ended up with an A in the class he thought he'd get a C in. Then she made a FB post about how her prayers were answered. I understand wanting your children to do well no matter what age they are. I know that being a parent doesn't stop just because your kid turns into an adult. But at what point do you stop and ask yourself, "Am I holding him/her back from growth?" To me, a parent who gets THAT involved in her almost 24 year olds grad school needs to take a huge step back.

Comment

I agree. And part of that is for him to set those boundaries, as an adult. But you're right, that's why higher degrees are more difficult. To weed out those who don't want it bad enough.

I worked at a college for a few years while I was in college. I started as a student worker and then got a full time job so it helped pay for my education. I was always shocked at the parents who would call in or show up, asking for info on their kids grades, their attendance, etc...and explaining that we cannot give that info.

They cannot understand why.

Many times the parents had paid for tuition, only to find that the students dropped classes and got the full refund, sometimes thousands of dollars. They are oblivious to what their kids are doing, and what they want, and just go along, no communication, etc.

Parents have no sense of boundaries and willingness to let their kids go sometime. I'm not sure what the best advice is to her, other than let him go and butt out of it.
                  Just out of curiosity, is she married or single?

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                    Many times the parents had paid for tuition, only to find that the students dropped classes and got the full refund, sometimes thousands of dollars. They are oblivious to what their kids are doing, and what they want, and just go along, no communication, etc.
                    The money should be refunded to the payer, not the third party student if it was paid by the parents. Is grant money also refunded to the student instead of going back to the grant giver?
                    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

Jns, on the student accounts, there was no tracking of who paid unless there was an employer who made arrangements for students through a separate account. Or other special arrangements, etc. For students, they are responsible for the payment, not parents or friends, so when classes were dropped, refunds went to students.
                      Same for federal grant monies. There was a system in place to catch those, but it wasn't 100%. Students routinely got refunds only to be expected to pay it back. They rarely did tho, because they didn't understand the terms and some did it knowingly every semester.

Our system stunk, no doubt. And hopefully it's changed in the years since I worked there.
                      Back then, checks were still commonplace so, there could be a check from several people for one student. Our student population back then was 26000 I think, so tracking every person who paid on an account would have been a task.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                        Jns, on the student accounts, there was no tracking of who paid unless there was an employer who made arrangements for students through a separate account. Or other special arrangements, etc. For students, they are responsible for the payment, not parents or friends, so when classes were dropped, refunds went to students.
                        Same for federal grant monies. There was a system in place to catch those, but it wasn't 100%. Students routinely got refunds only to be expected to pay it back. They rarely did tho, because they didn't understand the terms and some did it knowingly every semester.

Our system stunk, no doubt. And hopefully it's changed in the years since I worked there.
                        Back then, checks were still commonplace so, there could be a check from several people for one student. Our student population back then was 26000 I think, so tracking every person who paid on an account would have been a task.
                        There are these things called computers . . . Colleges and universities were at the forefront of making them useful, such as to track thousands (or millions) of accounts. The colleges give financial aid partly due to the student's finances. If the student lives at the parent's house during the breaks, the college bases its aid on the parents finances. They know very well who is paying since that is their source of support. They require 2 years of living completely away from parents for them to consider the student independent. This sounds like another scam by the colleges. It would be better if they returned the money to its source to disincentivize dropping out. I know that the college I went to seized my grants and loans until the last ones came in to make sure that the tuition was paid, forcing me to go on starvation rations for a number of weeks. It affected my ability to concentrate. I have never given them even one cent.

Comment

Yep, it was ALL through computer. Lol

As far as self paying, there was no way to keep track of who was paying. With financial aid, yes I always wondered why it wasn't different, and so many of those weren't managed correctly. But it wasn't my job to fix the problem, I just had to deal with the problems it all did create.
                          Wish I'd kept that job. Lol

Comment

I feel your point of view is very right. I would have also done the same. Kid’s security is the supreme thing. If something happens we cannot control it later, so it’s always better to avoid such situations. I also advise my kids all the time to not come alone outside of their classes. I second your decision and think is it’s absolutely right what you did.

Comment

I feel your point of view is very right. I would have also done the same. Kid’s security is the supreme thing. If something happens we cannot control it later, so it’s always better to avoid such situations. I also advise my kids all the time to not come alone outside of their classes. I second your decision and think is it’s absolutely right what you did.

Comment

Working...
                              X