• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccinations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaccinations

What is your opinion on vaccinations?

Do you have different opinions on vaccines for infants and children vs adults?

I think that a lot more of us are here because of vaccinations.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

On this site? Lol
      Just kidding...

Eta: perhaps I should expound: have you read much about the claims that "infant vaccines" are causing problems in young people? I'm not talking about the autism claim from years ago.

Do you take the flu shot? Do you take other vaccines offered, as an adult?

I haven't taken the time to study this in any meaningful way, but was wondering what your opinions are.
      Last edited by atskitty2; 02-08-2018, 08:25 AM.

Comment

I have a young friend who's had siezures since she was a baby because of vaccines. They can have bad effects. But the lives and health they preserve seem to far outweigh the damage they cause, I guess.

I got an inoculation a few years ago. It was a combination shot for Tetanus and some other diseases. I didn't like the after effects. They lasted for days, if not weeks. I'd never get another one unless there was something approaching certainty that I'd catch the disease without it. I wouldn't want to inoculate my child either. I probably would if the cost for not doing it was high enough, though.
        "Those sowing seed with tears
        Will reap with a joyful shout." - Psalm 126

Comment

I was obligated/encouraged to get some shots professionally, when I was first licensed years ago, but there's been no mention of it since, by the licensing board or employers.

I never have taken a flu shot and likely never will.

I know there are some hospitals and facilities that require all staff to get flu shots, TB, etc.

Any thoughts from anyone regarding the HPV vaccine available? Would you or have you taken it?
          Would you vaccinate your daughter?

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
            I never have taken a flu shot and likely never will.
            why not? just curious

husband gets one from work yearly as he's exposed to more people since he travels

my sister's friend died from the flu a few weeks ago
            think she was in her 30's but don't know if she'd had the flu shot or not

Comment

I wouldn't voluntarily vaccinate my child for anything. I'd educate them on sex as soon as they have the ability to understand. That's what my parents did for me.

My trust in western medicine is minimal. My mother's doctor just discouraged her from a diet she and my stepfather
              are trying to improve their health because it doesn't have animal products. On the flip side, a family friend that's a nurse practitioner told her that a medicine she's taking has been linked to cancer and that she no longer prescribes it. Her doctor's advice was, "Well, just take it every other day." To me that's insane. It's the norm with these people, though.

Comment

I never get a flu shot because they just aren't that effective for me to want to risk it.
                Vaccines I've had to take for professional reasons have made me feel crummy.

I wouldn't take a vaccine for a virus I have some control over contracting, like HPV.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post
                  My mother's doctor just discouraged her from a diet she and my stepfather
                  are trying to improve their health because it doesn't have animal products.
                  Was the discouragement due it not having a complete set of amino acids or insufficient in certain amino acids? A doctor could be found liable if he or she endorsed a diet that did not contain the right nutrients. I would expect that many doctors would not encourage diets that are not standard published diets that have been endorsed by medical associations. Probably the blame is on our litigious society. Knowing that, why did they ask for the doctor's blessing?
                  I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
                  Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Comment

I have had a flu shot every year for almost three decades. I don't remember having the flu during that time. The flu shots have never had any side effects other than a little upper arm tenderness after the shot. Flu shots (or not) are something that people can live or die by their convictions with. Sort of faith based. Unlike many spreadable diseases, the flu is highly contagious and can be deadly. Put down your money (or not) and roll the dice. I always wonder how a history of flu shots does is the current year or future years. I would think that the effectiveness does not go to zero for future years. It is not like turning off a light. This year I paid out of pocket for one at Sam's Club.

Comment

Originally posted by jns View Post
                      Was the discouragement due it not having a complete set of amino acids or insufficient in certain amino acids? A doctor could be found liable if he or she endorsed a diet that did not contain the right nutrients. I would expect that many doctors would not encourage diets that are not standard published diets that have been endorsed by medical associations. Probably the blame is on our litigious society. Knowing that, why did they ask for the doctor's blessing?
                      Yes, he seemed to believe they'd miss something, but I don't think it was clear what. What did become clear is that his counsel is questionable. I don't think there are

And I don't think she was asking for his blessing. They'd been at it for over a week before her visit. Probably just informing him.

Comment

kid and I did not get flu shot this yr
                        but we did have child get mist a couple other yrs

think they stopped the mist, however, due to ineffectiveness

Comment

Originally posted by Stillness View Post

Yes, he seemed to believe they'd miss something, but I don't think it was clear what. What did become clear is that his counsel is questionable. I don't think there are

And I don't think she was asking for his blessing. They'd been at it for over a week before her visit. Probably just informing him.
                          I guess just run with it and if things turn out bad, check to see if the doctor was right after all. In between get another doctor since this one cannot be believed.

Comment

Still, only one of my docs will even acknowledge half heartedly that my dietary changes contributed to my dramatic improvement. My GP also suffers from an autoimmune, so maybe she gets it more than others. She's encouraged the use of turmeric and probiotics and we've had some pretty intense and detailed discussions about my problems and test results and causes and treatments...she's a joy. She knows I have a medical background so we have spent hours actually in discussion about this stuff. She is my advocate and advisor. I treasure her opinion, even though we don't always agree.

This is the type of relationship I wish everyone could have with their docs. I hope and suspect that she treats all her patients similarly. This is the type of respect and team attitude a doctor should have with a patient.

Comment

Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                              This is the type of respect and team attitude a doctor should have with a patient.
                              I've got the best doctor I've ever had in my life. I followed her when she left one of the local clinics. I attribute a lot of my success over the past year to her coaching.

Half of it is just the fact that she cares about people, so she's not so caught up in the established "facts." She sounds like your GP.

Comment

Working...
                              X