• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vaccinations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atskitty2
    started a topic Vaccinations

Vaccinations

What is your opinion on vaccinations?

Do you have different opinions on vaccines for infants and children vs adults?

• amy40
    replied
    BD
    did you decide to get flu shot or not?

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied
    Originally posted by jns View Post
    The flu is a viral infection.
    yes
    maybe Doc was thinking about the bacterial infections associated with flu that may put you in the hospital

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    The flu is a viral infection.

Leave a comment:

• DocGingysnap
    replied
    As a Pediatrician it is my job to provide as much information to the parents to comfort them when making a decision on getting vaccinations for their children. There are several vaccinations that I definitely recommend to the parents and others like the controversial MMR vaccine linked to Autism that they do more reading up on if they want. In the end it is the parents decision.

As for the Flu Shot here is where I stand on it. Many years the the strand in the shot does not match the bacterial infection that is going around and is not really going to be that effective in protecting you getting the flu or not. Also the flu shot does not guarantee prevention of getting the flu. It provides protection against it. That meaning it minimalizes your chances of getting it. I get the flu shot every year and there are some years I still get the flu and others I don't.

Leave a comment:

• Popcorn&Candy
    replied
    I have never had a flu jab. I just am not in the vulnerable category. But, obviously, I had all my jabs as a kid and teenager. Actually, I've had a LOT of blood tests, which - for obvious reasons - I do not like. Those medical people always want to analyse your blood. Anyhow, sunlight is, obviously, very important. I always have much more energy and motivation when the sun shines. I am definitely looking forward to summer this year, as well.

Leave a comment:

• amy40
    replied

Beautiful Disaster on news

second grade teacher and mom of 2 died from flu over wkend
    she went to get meds but thought the copayment too expensive
    husband went back and bought but too late

Leave a comment:

• atskitty2
    replied
    To be clear, I'm not sure it's the placebo effect either, just siting the possibility, according to one paper I read. I do believe that the D we synthesize from sunlight is more powerful, better quality, tho...at least with the supplements I've used.

I've not came across anything that suggests the supplementation diminishes our natural ability to produce it. It has been awhile since I've immersed in the studies, but nothing like that registers in memory. I do stop the supplements when I can get it naturally.
    Last edited by atskitty2; 02-12-2018, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
    What I'm trying to explain, is that our levels for a nutrient, may be normal, but that doesn't mean our bodies are utilizing the nutrient. It could be placebo, in the sense that I feel better, but it really isn't doing anything for me.
    I've wondered about that too. But, the persistent sinus/ear infection I had went away as my vitamin d levels increased. That wasn't placebo.

My other worry is if taking the pills and supplements interferes with the body's ability to produce it. That's one of the many reasons I want to be slim. A fat body just does not work as well.

Leave a comment:

• atskitty2
    replied
    I do tanning at my gym, and feel much better after 5 or 8 minutes in there. I do that a couple times a wk in winter when there's not adequate sunshine. Of course, as I've said, I've suspended the gym for now, but I intend to get back this week/next...

What I'm trying to explain, is that our levels for a nutrient, may be normal, but that doesn't mean our bodies are utilizing the nutrient. It could be placebo, in the sense that I feel better, but it really isn't doing anything for me.

BD, nope, I don't get the flu shot. I think this is the thread we chatted a bit about them.

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    I've never had a flu shot. My wife doesn't get them either. We both had nasty flus last year too.

Kitty, I've been prescribed vitamin d a few times. One year my levels got so low that I had an infection for 8 months. I had no clue what was going on. I took the vitamin d and I got well. When I felt that wasn't enough I started taking over the counter supplements my wife gets from the health food store. My last visit showed levels in the upper level of the normal range. It's not placebo.

I also bought time at a tanning salon, but I only ended up going 10 times or so and it had probably been months between the last time I went and my annual physical. (Incidentally, tanning booth time is surprisingly cheap if you wanted to opt for a more natural route).

Leave a comment:

• Beautiful Disaster
    replied
    Was about to make a post about the flu shot when I saw this thread. So, do you get the flu shot?

I will be traveling to Ireland next month and my mom started pushing me to get a flu shot. I have never had one and have never had the flu. I'm hesitant to put this vaccine in my body, a foreign substance to my body, almost like trying to "fix something that isn't broken". I take preventative and immune boosting measures and would definitely step up my game while traveling.

So anyone, just curious who gets the flu shot and who doesn't.

Leave a comment:

• atskitty2
    replied
    I didn't read the article, but I'm guessing it's similar to others I've read giving warning about plant based diets. So, I also think it's important to note that many things we need are processed by our bodies, when given the proper nutrition to do so.
    We don't eat them, and it isn't necessary to consume all healthy nutrients.

Many healthy things are created as by products when the body processes other nutrients. I believe cholesterol is one of these. Cholesterol is vital for healthy cells...but we don't need anybody else's cholesterol...not a cow's...we make our own.

Vitamin D has been very interesting for me and I've read a lot on it. Some newer studies suggest that oral consumption of vitamin D is useless. It is possibly bioavailable only through skin absorption. So, the findings may change recommendation on that over time.

Personally, I notice a huge difference in how I feel with and without my D supplements so I will continue them in Winter. Placebo effect? Idk.
    In summer, I soak up the sunlight unashamedly, for 20 minutes every morning if I can. The difference I can feel in my physical body and in mood is huge. I have been tested for it and was dangerously deficient the first time...after taking up to 10,000iu daily, I'm only normal range...
    There's some info also that suggests some of us lack a chemical in the pathway to properly process vit D...so, our levels may be normal but we may not be able to use it.

Anyway...I think we need the sunshine. I know I often liken myself to a plant. I need sun and water...or I just feel like I'm wilting. Lol
    The neighbor kids caught me plastered to my doorway one snowy, tho sunny day...it was so bright. It was below freezing but I still stood there just soaking up the sun, knowing it's not strong enough to do much for me this time of year.
    Kids laughed...I laughed.
    They threw snowballs at me

Leave a comment:

• Stillness
    replied
    Originally posted by jns View Post

For some reason, I thought you lived in the Philadelphia area.
    Because of my brotherly love

Leave a comment:

• jns
    replied
    Originally posted by Stillness View Post
    live in Michigan
    For some reason, I thought you lived in the Philadelphia area.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X