• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-Miscegenation Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Miscegenation Laws

Today is 50th anniversary of the Supreme Court's striking down of anti-miscegenation laws in the USA. The anti-miscegenation laws were found to be incompatible with the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution in the verdict of Loving v. Virginia.
    I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience.
    Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

From a speech by Patrick Henry on March 23, 1775 at St. John's Church, Richmond, Virginia

Hard to believe that any governmental entity believed it had legal ability to tell Americans whom they could date and/or marry.

Interracial relationships are not new in America.

The United States' first black First Lady was Sally Hemmings, a "slave" of Thomas Jefferson. She bore him six children. While no one has been able to produce a marriage certificate, considering the Puritan era of America, I doubt that she lived with him outside of marriage, especially in the White House. Regardless, her siblings and she were titular slaves. They enjoyed freedom as much as any white person. Most if not all of our Founding Fathers who "owned" slaves treated them far better than conditions poor whites had to endure. And they knew slavery was a dying institution in America which is why slavery isn't found in any of our founding documents. In fact, Thomas Jefferson plagiarized John Locke with minor deviation. John Locke wrote that life, liberty, and property were natural rights that flowed to us from God. Thomas Jefferson didn't what to legitimize Southerns' claim that human beings could be owned as property, so he substituted, "...pursuit of happiness," for Locke's property in his Declaration of Independence.

A huge issue of extremely racist Northerners was that they had worse lives than "slaves" of Southern plantation owners. Northern boys did not want to compete with slave labor for jobs. But the fact is Northerners were every bit -if not more so- as racist as Southerners. "Roots" was an exaggerated fictional depiction of Southern plantations.

Abraham Lincoln said he would have allowed the South to retain slavery if it didn't secede. Hence, the Civil War was not about slavery. Lincoln said that blacks & whites couldn't coexist within the same country. He had drafted three plans to repatriate blacks. He was murdered before he was able to operationalize his planned repatriation.

Get me going on what I consider the illegitimate Civil War and what I think of Lincoln and his memorial, and I could write a book. Suffice it to write that had he not fought the Civil War that killed ~650,000 American soldiers and at least another million civilians due to privations, the South's secession would have lasted maybe a decade before it wouldn've come begging to rejoin the union. The South was agrarian. The North was industrializing. The South would have gone belly up because European countries wouldn't trade with it due to slavery. In essence, Lincoln would have saved two million lives if he had gone with an Embargo.

The woman I'm dating now dated two black guys while she was in college. She attended college in a very conservative city. With both dudes, she had to keep their relationship on the QT. She had to keep those relationships from her very old school father. She had to sneak them into her dorm room for sex. Her daughter dated a black kid in college, and it wasn't an issue. She dated him for a few years, and he was as any other boyfriend.

BTW, according to my g/f, the tale of black men not going down on women is true, at least it was with her two black boyfriends. Neither one of them went down on her. She gave them head without reciprocity. However, I have known black dudes who did go down on woman. Just an interesting bit of info with no usable knowledge. It is amazing what'll come outta that girl's mouth when she's drunk.

In So Cal, interracial relationships are as any other. Black men dating white women & white men dating black women: no one pays attention.

Politicians need to keep their noses out of our personal business.
    Last edited by jns; 06-17-2017, 08:39 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Comment

Well said, WaveRider.

Comment

Working...
      X