Women’s Health Interactive Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"toxic" people and relationships

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
Clear All

• "toxic" people and relationships

Do you have people in your life that you consider toxic?

I had a meme come across my feed so I started reading some articles on "toxic" people.

How do you manage the toxic people in your life?

Have you ever wondered if you are the toxic person?

• years ago I read a book on toxic parents
    everything rang true in the book
    Last edited by amy40; 12-29-2017, 09:44 AM. Reason: re book

Comment

• I was once told by a pastor to stay away from them for my sake

Comment

• Yes, I do. It is wise to stay away from them. They exist to bring others down to their levels.

Comment

• And how have you identified these toxic relationships?

Comment

• kitty, there are lots of books and/or checklists out there if you are unsure if a person is toxic and/or you have a relationship with one

Comment

• Yeah I found several online. I'm just interested in discussing other's experience with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by atskitty2 View Post
                Yeah I found several online. I'm just interested in discussing other's experience with it.
                I think if one stays in a toxic relationship and/or are around the toxic people for any period of time, it can drag one down and the negative energy leaves an impact which takes a little while to get rid of

Comment

And how have you identified these toxic relationships?
                  atskitty2
                  are you trying to get out of a relationship with a toxic person?

Comment

• there are some days it's easy to get sucked into thinking "maybe we can have a real relationship" but I need to realize that it will never happen because there is no effort from the other person

Comment

• No, thankfully, I don't have any people that I think are toxic. It had actually occurred to me that I am the toxic one.

Comment

• looked up elitist and found an article describing elitist as narcissistic

Comment

It had actually occurred to me that I am the toxic one.
                          why you?

from your friend description a few mos back in relationships, I thought maybe you were thinking of her when you started this thread

Comment

• Sometimes I think that friendship has run its course and we are very different, but I don't think she's "toxic" necessarily. She has some issues that I get tired of hearing about time after time, but I realized at some point, that I simply needed to be a better friend, be honest and blunt and stay compassionate in doing so. I don't think about cutting it out like I used to. I needed to change, not the friendship.

I think my concern came from the issues with my parents, and how all that played out. It has bothered me so deeply and I'm not completely sure why. I was able to get in to see my counselor this week, to bounce things off her and get some unbiased feedback and help sorting my thoughts.

I'm not sure where the term toxic comes from in regard to people, but it seems accurate. I think my mother is toxic and I fear I'm following the same path. I'm not sure how to determine if I am, or how to correct it. Guess that will come in time.

Comment

• Sometimes I think that friendship has run its course and we are very different, but I don't think she's "toxic" necessarily. She has some issues that I get tired of hearing about time after time, but I realized at some point, that I simply needed to be a better friend, be honest and blunt and stay compassionate in doing so. I don't think about cutting it out like I used to. I needed to change, not the friendship.

I think my concern came from the issues with my parents, and how all that played out. It has bothered me so deeply and I'm not completely sure why. I was able to get in to see my counselor this week, to bounce things off her and get some unbiased feedback and help sorting my thoughts.

I'm not sure where the term toxic comes from in regard to people, but it seems accurate. I think my mother is toxic and I fear I'm following the same path. I'm not sure how to determine if I am, or how to correct it. Guess that will come in time.

Comment

Womens Health orange logoGet The Newsletter

Receive our passionately crafted, medically reviewed articles and insights — the stuff nobody else talks about but you want to know — delivered right to your inbox.

Latest Posts in Our Forums

Collapse

Latest Topics in Our Forums

Collapse

Working...
                              X